• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New scope suggestions for P308 20"

crazy63

Private
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2014
plus.google.com
I'm currently in the market for a scope for my P308 20". I'm new to long range shooting but many helpful guides on this forum are greatly assisting me with that. I'm going to be buying a scope and I have around a $2,000 budget add a few hundred or take a few. A few notable ones I'm looking at are the new Vortexs, leupold mk6 3-18 or nightforce. I need it to be capable of 1,000 yard shots but still be effective close range. Reliability is huge with me and I'm sure nightforce is what everyone will say but I've had a few military buddies who swore by leupold scopes and along with them had some harsh abuse happen to them and they still performed. Not sure about vortexs reliability? I'm leaning more towards the leupold mk6 but I'm still open for suggestions. Should i go with one of the three listed or something else? Looking for multi-range (the less minimum magnification is better) amd reliability. Also would like to know a good mount, thx!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The only scopes you asked about that I have personally used on my P-308 are Nightforces. I had a 3.5-15x50 F1 and currently have a 2.5-10x42. I didn't like the F1 up close because it has a very narrow field of view, and it's a long scope for the mag range. Other than that it was perfectly reliable with good glass, and the MLR2.0 reticle worked very well.

I much prefer (for this rifle) the 2.5-10x42, perfect size and weight with enough magnification for me to use at 700 yards. For precision shooting most prefer more magnification and a FFP reticle. If you plan to compete with the rifle I would go for something FFP.

I have never used the Leupold you asked about, but seems like a perfect fit for an AR if you don't need illumination. Great mag range(dare I say perfect?) and nice and compact and lightweight. Haven't seen any complaints about them really.

Mounts? I have used Nightforce, Badger and Spuhr Unimounts. All 3 have done exactly what they were supposed to.

Appreciate the blog you posted, its got some great information but im not seeing any reliability comparisons but once again thats a lot of scopes for a lot of cash. Ive narrowed my choices down to nightforce 3.5-15 F1 or leupold mk6 3-18. Both have proven track records for reliability, or as far as I'm concerned they do.

Nightforce 2.5-10x32mm or 42mm, Nightforce 3-15x50mm SFP or FFP (we have a sale on the F1 FFP with the LV.5 reticle for $1900), The Luepold 3-18x is a great scope also, Bushnell 3.5-21x50mm, and Vortex HD.

Here is a link to the NXS F1 on sale. cstactical

Mike @ CSTACTICAL

You want absolute reliability go with a Nightforce F1, if you want a better magnification range and great track record for less grab a Bushnell ERS/XRS for a good 800+ less money, spend the difference on a quality mount or rings.

I appreciate the replies and it looks like I'm going with the nightforce 3.5-15 f1... but i do have a question. Is the lv.5 reticle any good? What are the pros and cons? Thx

I have a Mark 6 on my Crusader; the MK 6 is a total new scope starting from the glass. It's built like a tank it’s just an amazing scope for the money you pay for. What made me decide was the reticle for me the easiest reticle to read and size targets. Hit up Scott from Liberty Optics you won’t be disappointed.