• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes new scope

chevy_69k20

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2010
US
Ok, I'm new here and have been reading around and can see i'm wayyyyy out of my league here. But i figure you are the guys to ask. I just purchased my very first rifle. Not fancy at all, it's just a remington 770 in 300 win mag. I don't hunt, I just started in what i'm calling my new hobby.

I need a scope not to exceed the buying price of the gun (235 new, thought i got a good deal). I want to shoot no further than about 500 yards, but will always shoot this further than 300. You guys have any ideas as to what I should look for?

Re: new scope

Some guys like the Millett Tactical series,Had one years ago that was MEGA screwed up,sent it back and got a new one with no problems from their CS that was OK with none of the problems I complained about.Lot of features for an under $300 scope.Heavy SOB though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264Charlie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Low budget optics can be very hard... I would pick up a fixed power Bushnell. In the lower price range a fixed power scope is really the only thing worth a crap. http://www.lapolicegear.com/bushnell-elite-3200-10x40mm.html </div></div>

Good suggestion for a scope at that price. I also like Nikon Buckmaster (which is a variable power 1" tube, but still gets the job done).

I also like LAPG for general gear, but for glass and some other specialty items, I try and support Hide vendors, who contribute thousands of dollars a year for rifle matches and for this forum...

http://www.cstactical.com/Store/OPTICS/Rifle-Scopes/Bushnell?vmcchk=1

Ok, fixed power it is. Is a 10 power going to be enough to shoot 500 yards consistently?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pinkmisttt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, fixed power it is. Is a 10 power going to be enough to shoot 500 yards consistently? </div></div> yes more than enough IMO