• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Scopes in Hand, 5-20XSS/Steiner

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    They are here, first looks at the new SWFA Super Sniper 5-20X Front Focal Plane Mil / Mil Scope along with the new Steiner Military FFP 4-16X scope.

Super Sniper 5-20X
    SH_FLG_SWFA-3.jpg

SH_FLG_SWFA-2.jpg

The Steiner
    SH_FLG_SWFA-1.jpg

Initial impressions look to very good, I am glad that SWFA didn't opt to go big with the scope, it is actually a very good size.

The Steiner is smaller, heavy matte finish with a Premier like look and feel.

I will be putting these through their paces this week.

Re: New Scopes in Hand, 5-20XSS/Steiner

What kind of reticle is on the SWFA? (I'll put in my humble request for reticle pics)

It is a new reticle, I have a schematic here on an piece of paper, but it's a new Mil Based reticle with a 1/2 Mil hash mark, instead of dots it has small hollow diamonds, and it's a fine line reticle, pretty nice, I like it.

The main crosshair is .05 mils thick, the heavy posts are detached and pointed, so in low magnification they point inward, nice touch. I like this reticle. It is a T design with 10 mils below center 5 mils above, there is a 1 mil gap and then the heavy pointed posts.

I will get a picture up, but suffice to say, its a good looking reticle, very user friendly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice, cant wait for the review... </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is a new reticle, I have a schematic here on an piece of paper, but it's a new Mil Based reticle with a 1/2 Mil hash mark, instead of dots it has small hollow diamonds, and it's a fine line reticle, pretty nice, I like it.

The main crosshair is .05 mils thick, the heavy posts are detached and pointed, so in low magnification they point inward, nice touch. I like this reticle. It is a T design with 10 mils below center 5 mils above, there is a 1 mil gap and then the heavy pointed posts.

I will get a picture up, but suffice to say, its a good looking reticle, very user friendly. </div></div>
    Sounds very nice. Thank you - you've just saved me around $800 (at least for today). I was all set to put in my order for the Weaver tactical, now I think I'll wait. Yes, I'm fickle.

Anxiously awaiting reticle pic and review. Thanks again.

They're both straight sexy. Can't wait for the review. Any idea of a price range?

Josh

Whats the price point on the SS 5-20?

I had heard rumors the Steiner was 2500-2600$ range. Be nice to see how it stacks up compared to a S&B or NF.

will be interesting to see how these hold up in the long run as they look like a solid unit.

jim

ps, any paticular reason for the aussie flag patch? just curious...hahahaha

Well, 1200+ might be a little much and I think 800 would be too cheap (although I'd pay that all day long for it if it's as sturdy and functional as other ssniper scopes) so I'll bet they are shooting for an even thousand as a price point.

Super Sniper is moving right along in the world!

I've really been wondering about how these Steiners... I have their binos that I like alot.

The SS looks like a 30mm, but I am pretty sure the Steiners are 34mm tubes.

Man that SS 5-20 looks like the cats ass if they keep it under 1500.00.

There is going to be a hell of a lot of glass choices in the next couple of years.

That SS is hot sex... If it's anything like the 10x, I'll be ordering... Be interesting to see the reticle and how the varible works for you.

Waiting, watching...

That SS look good cant wait for the reviews....hmm maybe a new scope for my 6.5 build

The SS Is from Japan, as marked on the bottom.

Here are some side by shots and a bad one of the reticle, my big camera doesn't like through the lenses stuff.

SH_FLG_SWFA4-1.jpg

SH_FLG_SWFA4-2.jpg

SH_FLG_SWFA4-3.jpg

I will say, for a prototype, I really like the Super Sniper, as far as initial impressions go.

If they say it is ok, i see me keeping it.

<span style="font-style: italic">This is me</span> <span style="font-weight: bold"> --> winning ! </span>

I looked at the Steiner at SHOT and wasn't too impressed, especially considering where they are priced at. If that SS is like their other scopes and the price is right they will kill the market, it is really a win for everyone!

I just got my 16XSS (3rd one), and I love the thing. However, I have always wanted a variable above the 9X for a LONG TIME!! I am glad to see that they are listening to the buying public!!

I have had my sights set on getting a Vortex PST, but it appears that I may have to rethink this choice. Depending on the cost that is...

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    I will say, for a prototype, I really like the Super Sniper, as far as initial impressions go. </div></div>

From looking at your pics it has everything people ask for; FFP, usable mag range, illumination, reticule with lots of holdovers that isn't busy and 10mil turn elevation knob. Probably why it's getting all the oohs and ahs.

I can already tell I am not going to like the Steiner, CW turrets and the mils are marked in clicks, for example 1 mil is 10. The super sniper CCW turrets, 10 MIl per rotations, Illuminated, and a great power range. The SS looks 30mm too. Depending on Price the Super Sniper looks like a great option. Kind of bummed about Steiner I expected so much more.

The S.S. does look real good! LL, does it have the locking diopter like the 3-9? It appears like it does...

Newbie here...

Signed up with you guys because it seems you are in the know more than SWFA's forum...

Would love any of the information you have on this specifically seeing if it has more than the 26 or 27 mils as standard for them?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I looked at the Steiner at SHOT and wasn't too impressed, especially considering where they are priced at. If that SS is like their other scopes and the price is right they will kill the market, it is really a win for everyone! </div></div>

I keep hearing people say this about the new Steiner scopes, which is too bad...I have some of their binoculars and love them. Always hoped they would intro a tactical scope line. Still holding out they will be good...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joel45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    I keep hearing people say this about the new Steiner scopes, which is too bad...I have some of their binoculars and love them. Always hoped they would intro a tactical scope line. Still holding out they will be good... </div></div>

I wouldn't believe that until you start hearing it from people like ilya (who I think has a steiner scope that he will be reviewing soon) or when you see them for yourself. Frankly I have a hard time believing that they'll be any less good optically as a comparative premier or S&B.

Man, gotta start saving away some cash again

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That SS is hot sex... If it's anything like the 10x, I'll be ordering... Be interesting to see the reticle and how the varible works for you.

Waiting, watching... </div></div>

A big +1..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marshallwk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, gotta start saving away some cash again</div></div>

+1 I had a 10x HD I sold to get a NF. Not regreting getting the NF but I do like and regret selling my HD. I think this variable might be a good way to redeem my SS betrayal!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dantrom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's not mentioned, but is the SS considered an "HD"?</div></div>

Nevermind...... I see it on the scope bell!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joel45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    I keep hearing people say this about the new Steiner scopes, which is too bad...I have some of their binoculars and love them. Always hoped they would intro a tactical scope line. Still holding out they will be good... </div></div>

I wouldn't believe that until you start hearing it from people like ilya (who I think has a steiner scope that he will be reviewing soon) or when you see them for yourself. Frankly I have a hard time believing that they'll be any less good optically as a comparative premier or S&B. </div></div>

Let's not forget that Beretta now owns Steiner, and these new scopes are being assembled at the Burris factory in Colorado. Something tells me it is a far cry from original Steiner quality control and craftsmanship. I hope I'm wrong.

My understand was, the same guys behind the Premier had a lot to do with the Steiner so there should be some similarities there.

Design is one thing. Execution is quite another.

I had the displeasure of dealing with the Burris team when I wanted a reticle change on my XTR. I couldn't get the same answer from any two people, communication was near impossible, and it seemed customer service was a new concept for them. It really changed my mind about the Burris brand.

Here's hoping Beretta/Steiner have laid out some new protocol for the production of these Steiner scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joel45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I wouldn't believe that until you start hearing it from people like ilya (who I think has a steiner scope that he will be reviewing soon) or when you see them for yourself. Frankly I have a hard time believing that they'll be any less good optically as a comparative premier or S&B. </div></div>

Even if Steiner worked with some of the Premier guys, I can tell they didn't listen. For one look at the turrets in the side by side picture. One thing you will notice it is CW, some Euro shooters like this but to me it is backwards. Look At the Windage Knob Right is up Left is down. Now look at the Mil markings, they are counted in clicks 9 mils is 90 on the Steiner,. This scope is ass backwards compared to a Premier. It would be a rough transition to what I have been used to. Hopefully the Steiner is a prototype and "lowlight" can give them the business.

Optronika, the guys who left S&B who did the Premier are in Germany, and they are on here, so maybe they can answer some of the why's, as to why they did things they way they did.

But I don't think this was designed as an American Scope, but a typical European scope, which may in time grow to suit US Shooters more. Like S&B did, back in the day, the PMIII didn't offer any of these features either, it evolved.

Same people, different contract or requirements will produce a different scope from the same minds. But, scope design, which has nothing to do with execution, it's essentially however it was requested to be done, is from the same people.

You can spec anything and ask people to build it, the problem may have been Steiner simply looking local and asked to match that. Being brought into the country by Burris doesn't make it any less European, at least from my limited knowledge on the relationship.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Optronika, the guys who left S&B who did the Premier are in Germany, and they are on here, so maybe they can answer some of the why's, as to why they did things they way they did.

But I don't think this was designed as an American Scope, but a typical European scope, which may in time grow to suit US Shooters more. Like S&B did, back in the day, the PMIII didn't offer any of these features either, it evolved.

Same people, different contract or requirements will produce a different scope from the same minds. But, scope design, which has nothing to do with execution, it's essentially however it was requested to be done, is from the same people.

You can spec anything and ask people to build it, the problem may have been Steiner simply looking local and asked to match that. Being brought into the country by Burris doesn't make it any less European, at least from my limited knowledge on the relationship. </div></div>
    That would more sense that steiner was focusing towards a new entry to the Euro tactical market, given the price point this would surely be some competition towards S&B, Hensoldt, etc. Just looking at the Super Sniper and the Steiner side by side shows who is listening and to what market. I know for myself I was comparing the Steiner between the less expensive Nightforce F1, and the more expensive Premier. I really like Steiner and was really interested in seeing what they would produce as an entry to the tactical scope market.