• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NEW scopes that are coming out ??

scorpio 25

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2005
So those of you that are thinking about getting the new ZCOMP I am wondering if any of you might start gearing towards the new KAHLES or the new STIENER coming out with the ballistic calculator? As for the ZCOMP I would like to see some other options in rings or a one piece base and a BUBBLE LEVEL for the scope tube for sure.

Last edited:
I thought spuhr was going to be making a base for the ZCOMP which should also have a level built in I think.

I am excited to see what Kahles brings to the table. I was leaning at trying out a 624i but now I’m going to wait for some reviews for between the ZCOMP and Kahles.

I thought spuhr was going to be making a base for the ZCOMP which should also have a level built in I think.

I am excited to see what Kahles brings to the table. I was leaning st trying out a 624i but now I’m going to wait and see.
yes they are but some of us like the level on the tube.you cant even see the level on the sphur mount

Reactions: Glassaholic
Oh okay. I haven't been behind the Spuhr mount with the level built in, good to know that you can't see the level very well if at all.

Depends on mount height, eyepiece geometry, head shape etc. I could see the Spuhr level when I opened my left eye. ARC mount, and several other solutions worked out poorly. I don’t like Spuhr mounts overall; very costly generally speaking for capabilities I’ll never use. Probably moving back to regular unimounts plus a level on the scope tube as annoying as that can be to setup the one time.

So those of you that are thinking about getting the new ZCOMP I am wondering if any of you might start gearing towards the new KAHLES or the new STIENER coming out with the ballistic calculator? As for the ZCOMP I would like to see some other options in rings or a one piece base and a BUBBLE LEVEL for the scope tube for sure.

I'm interested in all 3 scopes, well not the Steiner with the ballistic solver, just the regular M7XI. My primary interest lies with the ZCO, followed by Kahles and then Steiner, but what I ultimately buy may be dictated on which models come to Australia. Whichever brand/model I end up with will sit in a Spuhr mount and run on an MPA chassis which also has its own built-in level.

I'm interested in all 3 scopes, well not the Steiner with the ballistic solver, just the regular M7XI. My primary interest lies with the ZCO, followed by Kahles and then Steiner, but what I ultimately buy may be dictated on which models come to Australia. Whichever brand/model I end up with will sit in a Spuhr mount and run on an MPA chassis which also has its own built-in level.

Am thinking it might be easier to make a quick run to the states and do a group buy to bring back to australia ;)

The Aadmount I use has a built in level that I can see with my left eye. In the latest generation is is tritium illuminated, which really helps in low light. I have no experience with the Spuhr mount.

As far as the original question goes, until the scope come out, it is really hard to say much of anything in terms of which is better.

I am really interested in the intermediate size 50mm objective options, so Kahles K318i and ZCO 4-20x50 are on my list of scopes to look at and compare to Tangent Theta with the new reticle.

I am sure Steiner will have an update to the 50mm scope as well, so we'll see how they all stack up.

ILya

The Aadmount I use has a built in level that I can see with my left eye. In the latest generation is is tritium illuminated, which really helps in low light. I have no experience with the Spuhr mount.

As far as the original question goes, until the scope come out, it is really hard to say much of anything in terms of which is better.

I am really interested in the intermediate size 50mm objective options, so Kahles K318i and ZCO 4-20x50 are on my list of scopes to look at and compare to Tangent Theta with the new reticle.

I am sure Steiner will have an update to the 50mm scope as well, so we'll see how they all stack up.

ILya

you have some problem with Spuhr, right?..

I am looking at the new REVIC scope as it looks very interesting.

Other than advances in electro optics , like the Flir HISS system , nothing
other than the Genesis optic has my attention . The middle market is becoming
flooded with optics offering very little in the way of innovation . Sphur mounts
have worked fine for me , where appropriate .

Personal, political, racial? I’ll take a PM.

In a manner of speaking, all of the above. I am Jewish. Hakan is an anti-semite and had some choice words for the US as well. He was fairly vocal about his views on OpticsTalk before he started making his mounts years ago. I think he said he changed his views at some later point. Having grown u pin Soviet Union, I have lengthy experience with anti-semitism so it all sounded entirely too famliar. Besides, since that coincided with him beginning to sell his products in the US market, I take all that with a grain of salt. Since I generally tend to hold grudges and since I do not change my mind easily, I do not patronize his company and do not have anything to do with his products.

Everything he said was in public arena and may still be on OpticsTalk somewhere, so I do not see a need to take this to a PM. I can if you want more details.

ILya

In a manner of speaking, all of the above. I am Jewish. Hakan is an anti-semite and had some choice words for the US as well. He was fairly vocal about his views on OpticsTalk before he started making his mounts years ago. I think he said he changed his views at some later point. Having grown u pin Soviet Union, I have lengthy experience with anti-semitism so it all sounded entirely too famliar. Besides, since that coincided with him beginning to sell his products in the US market, I take all that with a grain of salt. Since I generally tend to hold grudges and since I do not change my mind easily, I do not patronize his company and do not have anything to do with his products.

Everything he said was in public arena and may still be on OpticsTalk somewhere, so I do not see a need to take this to a PM. I can if you want more details.

ILya

yeah, I remember something about that. I didn't want to pry though thanks for clearing it up...

Damn, really? Happen to remember his username over there?

ILya

That's what I assumed, though I didn't know he'd publicly stated it. I appreciate it as we share that heritage, through my parents.

WHY is this thread becoming political ?? can we keep it to the scopes please thanks

Fair point.

I segregate these by objective diameter.

I think that the large 56mm scopes have gotten so good and that there are so many of them out there with very similar configurations (5-25x56 or thereabouts), after another iteration or two the choice between them will come down to reticle preferences and brand loyalty. For the moment Tangent Theta is king of the hill, but with all the new designs coming out we'll see if it lasts.

The 50mm objective market is a little more interesting to me, partly because there isn't as much competition there from current players. There are several 3-15x50 designs out there, with $3k Tangent Theta and Minox being the best of them (I think), but there is comparatively little available in the ~$2k to $2.5k street price range. Razor Gen II 3-18x50 is a nice scope, but it is too heavy for this segment in my opinion. Sig Tango 6 4-14x50 is nice, but Vortex AMG 6-24x50 is better (and more expensive). S&B Ultra Short 3-20x50 sorta bridges the gap there and is a very nice scope.

All of these are getting some competition from the 50mm Kahles and ZCO designs and these have me interested. I have a serious backlog of tests I need to finish with and I stopped taking on the new stuff largely in anticipation of these two showing up later in the year.

42-44mm scopes need more attention in my opinion. ATACR F1 4-16x42 is a very capable design. Leupold Mark 6 is flawed, but Mark 5 HD 3.6-18x44 that I just started looking at is extremely promising. I should have a "first look" article up next week some time.
The only other really decent competition there is Sig Tango6 3-18x44, but it needs to go on a diet. I do think that Sig's DevL is the best (for me) reticle in this segment and if I could get that reticle in a 3-18x44 scope with capped turrets that weighs 20-24 ounces, I would be dancing for joy.

The 30-36mm scopes effectively do not exist in the precision world, which is also, I think, a mistake. I can think of a couple of ways they can be configured to be useful.

Then there is the 1-8x world that is seeing a whole lot of activity. It seems like manufacturers decided to address the biggest and the smallest first and then they will crank out intermediate models until they meet somewhere in the middle.

ILya

Reactions: Glassaholic