• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

New SEI Receivers

Vindex

Private
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2007
North Carolina
Some interesting discussions going on over at the M14 Firing Line about the new Smith Receivers. Already one locked thread and a second one headed to double digits.

I won't relay the gory details, but apparently a war started when a customer received one that sounded like it was way out of spec. Followed by reports of a few others.

If you are so inclined, you can read the closed thread here: http://m14forum.com/m14/101879-smith-receiver.html

The new one here: http://m14forum.com/m14/102593-new-sei-receivers.html

SEI's comments reminds me of what happened here at the Hide back in March:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2456618&page=1

Asshattery aside, the substance the receiver discussion boiled down to a few questions and answers, which Smith stated are correct.

Here you go:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Post #159 (New SEI Receiver thread)
Q: Does SEI make the receivers?
A: No

Q: Who makes the receivers?
A: That information will not be disclosed. They are made in a 130,000 square foot facility in North Carolina.

Q: What involvement does SEI have in the production of these receivers, aside from having a machine shop manufacture them under their license?
A: The receivers are made according to SEI specifications in North Carolina. SEI does not have a permanent on-site employee. There are on-site visits to the machine shop by Smith and Bainer. (It seems Bainer spends a lot of time there, but that is an assumption) Ron Smith owns an interest in the shop producing the receivers.

Q: What is being done to keep bad receivers from being sent out to the next person who orders one.
A: A come to Jesus phone call was made concerning the current issues. If anyone has any issues with a receiver, call SEI, not RGuns.

Q: Does Mr. Bainer or other SEI employee inspect each and every receiver?

Q: If not will he be doing so in the future after this?

Q: I take it that these receivers are being machined, out of house, are they ever making it to the eyes or hands of SEI before being sent to RGUNS for sale?
A: No. The receivers are sent directly to RGuns from the manufacturing facility in North Carolina.

Q: If not, are you guys considering this seeing as there may be some QC problems coming from the machine shop? No.

Q: Not to beat a dead horse, but for $1,000 is the receiver going to get a nicer heel and overall machining cleanup compared to the photos I have seen posted?
A: Answer coming next week.

Q: How about the heel stamp?
A: Programmers are working on it, and new production should be much improved.

Q: Has RGuns been subject to a similar "come to Jesus" discussion as was had with the shop?
A: No.

Q: Will RGuns remain SEI’s distributor?
A: Yes

Q: Are these receivers 100% made in the USA, not involving anything imported? (for the conspiracy theorists)
A: You bet
</div></div>

Incidentally, it took 27 pages in two threads to get answers to those questions confirmed)

So SEI is not the manufacturer, is not on site at the manufacturer, has the finished items shipped from the unknown manufacturer directly to the distributor, has no plans to put someone on site or perform quality control in the future, and wants $950 apiece for these?

But, for that price, you get a little S&M thrown in via public humiliation and degradation, at least based on what I saw from Smith's comments and that of their house troll (H2OMan, whose posts here reminded me of Maser II).

Anyone looking to build an M1A might want to consider this a heads up and at least go into the deal with your eyes open.

Re: New SEI Receivers

I thought it was really cool that people would be able to get Smith Receivers, but now I can understand the disappointment with them. Fortunately there are other companies that make good receivers.

I think people were thinking they would be the same as the old forged pre-94 receivers they made in house. With the new ones, no one buying one knows who is making them. Or whether they're forged like the old ones.

H2O guy (Maser II) even commented on the closed TFL thread they looked like chicom knock offs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> #249
H2O MAN

JD, the heel stamp on that receiver doesn't look much better than the heel stamp on my old Norinco receivers and they look pretty bad. ..

The Norinco's are excellent receivers, but their heel stamps look like hell...

The receiver pictured above looks like a ChiCom copy of a Smith Enterprise, Inc. receiver

Thank you for the pictures.

</div></div>

I find it funny that Smith Ent. thought they'd make a quick buck by just letting some company throw their name on the receiver and then charge a premium for it. SEI has no oversight on this, and that is a very bad business practice. But, like most things when you get famous and busy QC usually does shit the bed.....

As for the forged question, they're made of forged bar stock, just like their old ones were.

They are NOT hammer forged into a rough form like LRB's.

Double post due to computer error.

Hey, Vulcan

Can you enlarge your profile pic?
wink.gif

SEI got into it with member Warbird on the Fal Files Fourum about the same problems,and of course SEI said Warbird didnt know what the heck he was talking about.SEI needs to be avoided until they learn how to do Q/C, and learn how to treat thier customers.

If I read into the BS right, SEI has invested into the undisclosed machine shop in NC. They do appear to own interest in it. That to me, if I read into it right, means SEI is making their own receivers. Frankly I don't care as long as they are in spec. However that didn't seem to be the case with the first ones sent out. The ones they made in the 80s were not that pretty either, but I believe they were machined correctly.

What bothers me is SEI prior to the receivers shipped out, no one is actually looking at them. What does a machine shop know? Some of the things wrong you couldn't know till you indexed a barrel. You really can't inspect each and everyone, but I'd think maybe they would have closer inspected the first few that were made for the public.

The pissing match from both sides of the fence was BS. I was shocked at the way SEI handled themselves. They really don't care if you like them or not. I personally know several that probably won't buy their receivers now based on that display, that would have.

Myself, I don't care. Forged, cast, or machined from billet. I like something that looks decent and is in spec at least close enough where it will work without too much to do. Cost comes into consideration, but I'd spend a lot to get a lot. A company that is friendly is a nice plus. I have a build off a decent SAI receiver . It is a nice receiver from a friendly company. I have no problems buying another one from them. At least they have never told me directly/indirectly to piss off.

good reason to stick with LRB receivers, imho. I just don't trust the cast receivers, given the propensity for the m14 design to fire out of battery if the timing isn't perfect. While it may ruin the gun either way, i'd expect the forged action to hold together better and not imbed particles of itself in my face and torso as shit goes haywire.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">good reason to stick with LRB receivers, imho. I just don't trust the cast receivers, given the propensity for the m14 design to fire out of battery if the timing isn't perfect. While it may ruin the gun either way, i'd expect the forged action to hold together better and not imbed particles of itself in my face and torso as shit goes haywire. </div></div>

Couldn't agree more. SEI is saying these are not cast, but are being machined out of forged billets.