• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Shooter & Ballistics Systems

Mikemo

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2017
Hello Everyone,
New guy on the block and first post. This is my second season at the amateur level shooting PRS at the club level. I want to improve my skills and I understand the importantance of incorporating environmental factors into our ballistic solutions. That being said, I find I am having a heck of a time coming up with a system that is simple enough, yet provides me with what I need to make a shot at the hectic pace of a PRS event. The night before the match I build range cards for my arm band and if the match director sends out COF pages with target ranges, I build cards for that info as well. To build the cards I use the Shooter ballistic program inputing the pressures and temperaures based on local web sites. I carry my phone around and if I ever have time, (almost never) I pull out my phone and use it to make changes on the fly. I am considering purchasing either a Kestral or a Garmin to help but I am concerned that it may lead to overload. After doing a lot of reading on this, I am having a difficult time understanding how either of these devices will actually take the load off me and simplify the process. Can someone please explain how either of these devices can best be integrated into the program in a way that will make me a better shooter based on my current level of expertize? Thanks.

Hello Everyone,
New guy on the block and first post. This is my second season at the amateur level shooting PRS at the club level. I want to improve my skills and I understand the importantance of incorporating environmental factors into our ballistic solutions. That being said, I find I am having a heck of a time coming up with a system that is simple enough, yet provides me with what I need to make a shot at the hectic pace of a PRS event. The night before the match I build range cards for my arm band and if the match director sends out COF pages with target ranges, I build cards for that info as well. To build the cards I use the Shooter ballistic program inputing the pressures and temperaures based on local web sites. I carry my phone around and if I ever have time, (almost never) I pull out my phone and use it to make changes on the fly. I am considering purchasing either a Kestral or a Garmin to help but I am concerned that it may lead to overload. After doing a lot of reading on this, I am having a difficult time understanding how either of these devices will actually take the load off me and simplify the process. Can someone please explain how either of these devices can best be integrated into the program in a way that will make me a better shooter based on my current level of expertize? Thanks.

I’d lean towards the Garmin 701 AB for your application . If you setup
temp/velocity scaling accurately , and your rifle / bullet profile , you can
build a range card on the device . You can then update DOF , temp , shot
angle and baro from the device , at firing point with just a few button pushes .

Best way to deal with wind is often just watch the environment , the Kestrel can
only ever give you and at your firing point . Ive found the Garmin AB to be way
easier and faster to use than the Kestrel , reading the wind is just practice and
more practice .

Hard charts are always a good idea though , anything relying on electricity can
and will let you down when you most need it !

Thanks for the input Clearlight. I agree, hard cards have their place. Ill look at the Garmin a little harder. Thanks again.

Have never used or seen the Garmin. I find the kestrel easy and quick to use. Once everything is set up and your data entered proves out it works very well. No magic for wind. Practice practice and watch the shooters ahead of you. A lot of times wind will win the match.