• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

new shooter new question on gun

*greenhorn*

Minuteman
Aug 24, 2011
Daytona, Fl
have wanted to get in the long range shooting game but i dont have 15k for a Cheytac m200 system so heres the question been talking with local gun shop i was looking at getting a remmington 700 sps but they recomend a savage model 10 5r i think it is both of course a .308 and recomend a LEUPOLD MK4 6.5-20X50 im just looking for help and a driection to go, my local swat team here uses the sps and they say 800-1000 yrds it is very very good but its a 20 inch barrel the savage is a 24 inch barrell i will be going with the threaded option for a mussel break or a suppressor option in the near future i need help looking at a price tag of 1,800-2.5k now i know that doesent scratch the surface of a long range weapon system

with that said if theirs a better way i need to go maybie some one will take a pitty on me and point me in good direction. lol

but seriously have wanted to do this long time now im at point in my life im going in both feet well as much as my wallet will let me go lol

Re: new shooter new question on gun

does any one know what the diffrance between the barrel length are will their be much defflection the gun smith where im thinking of buying says it could be as much as a inch and the extra length means tighter groups???

If you take your time and spell out your questions properly and clearly, you'll get clearer answers. A 24 inch barrel will give you somewhat faster muzzle velocities than a 20 inch barrel and be of benefit if you actually have a place to shoot 800 yards, but accuracy won't be affected by the difference in barrel length.

Either rifle would be just fine and the equipment you mention is all a good value, although some would direct you toward a Vortex PST, Weaver tactical, or other scope over the Leupold.

im sorry for the spelling not a strong suite of mine please bear with me.

i watched the veido and i tank you for your input. through my reserch i have noticed that the 700 is more up-gradeable now would it be better to get the mil spec 700 mil 5r over the regualar 700 sps like im said im tring to get all input i can before buying

i have been reloading pistol ammo for a long time and shoot in idpa matches a long time ago but have kept up on my reloading (much cheeper) i use bulls-eye powder at this time now i will be shooting below 1000 sea level in florida and georgia is this an ok powder to use or do i need to move to a diffrent brand? i have a lee press and use remmington primers.

agin than you so so much for any and all help i know the new guys wear on you experianced shooters

A 700 5r will be pricey, whereas Dick's has a Remington 700 Varmint (heavy barrel) with a 4-12x40 scope for $450 through August 27th. I'd recommend buying that, and spend my time and money on shooting it for the time being, upgrading parts later as you gain experience rather than spending a fortune upfront.

+1 jhnmdahl, who's to say you'll enjoy the long range game? It would be a shame to spend $2K, drop 50 rounds downrange and hang it up. There are plenty of options to upgrade as your interest and experience grow.

I understand where your coming from but i have wanted to get in to this sense i was about 12, i was in the Navy and after 8 yrs and 3 yrs with Mobile Det-27 i finally got orders to go to sniper school, 5 weeks before i went i was hurt in an extraction and well lost my chance and was given a nice medical discharge. not happy but i have always wanted to do this as a hobby, i hope it is and enjoyable experience

and i agree with you on the upgrades, i just don't want to be in a weapon system that has no room for advancement. I'm starting with the Remington 700 varmint .308 cal and see where that leads me, i also have a good lead on a Dpms LR-308B for 850.00 if i can afford I'm going to go with those 2 set ups and see where it leads me, I'm hoping this will be an enjoyable experience

I use to be big in to motorcycles and guns but i was told 2 weeks ago at the Gainsville Fl Va that i have a condition that does not allow me to drive anymore so selling the bikes i have and going to go whit my true love IDPA and Long Range and see where it takes me.

Any and all help you or any one gives me on this journey is greatly appreciated

Respectfully

Any one in the Daytona, Fl area i would love to meet up and get a hands on training experience after i acquire my platforms

I love my remington 5r but that's just my opinion. Both companies make nice guns. Just try some out and see what feels good to you.

With all due respect, if your gunsmith told you that a 24" barrel will give you tighter groups, he is an idiot. Run...run far away.

A 20" barrel is fine for a 308, you will get an almost complete powder burn, which is the reason for a longer barrel. If anything, a shorter barrel could be agrued as more accurate due to rigidity, but, realistically, it makes no difference in that regard.

Get the rifle that feels most comfortable to you, the trigger you like the best, the best value. Shoot the living shit out of it.

You need to get some varget and some large rifle primers, as well as dies, trimmer, etc.

Good luck

thank you for the information i got lee dies and a factory crimp as well also going to try smaller ball powder than bulls-eye i thought that on the barrel length was a crock when we went from the m-16a1 to the m-4 we did not notice any loss ant 200-300 yrds as far as i can remember but i don't know, that was .223. and 200-300 yrds and 800-1000 where i would love to be one day is quite a bit different.

just got to sell the bikes so i can grab the platforms!!

i will be posting updates and any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

cowboy it all depends on your budget as well. believe me you can spend as much as you want but if you buy smart you can be just as accurate. take your time in making a decision

and welcome to the board