• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New shooting mat from Orignial SOE [pics are up]

3one5

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2002
CO Front Range
Yesterday I was laying on a Thermarest sleeping pad in the garage practicing my prone hold and got to thinking about how comfortable it was. The thought came up that it would be nice to have a shooting mat that you could slide the sleeping pad in to. This would give you the ability to have the extra comfort when needed or pull the mat out when size and weight were a concern. It would also give the Thermarest pad the durability that is needed along with the other niceties that a shooting mat provides.

Now I am by no means an expert when it comes to long range shooting. But this morning when I saw John Willis pop up on Facebook I decided to float the idea by him. He was quickly able to take my ideas along with those of he and his team and put together this mat.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150292813076826.372460.606786825

What do you guys think? I can't wait to get one and play around with it.

Re: New shooting mat from Special Operations Equipment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3one5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you guys think? </div></div>

I think your link is dead... at least it is here. Sounds like a good idea though. I was looking at getting a small, cheap, kids sleeping bag to do basically the same thing. I would like to see what y'all have come up with though.

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3one5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you guys think? </div></div>

I think your link is dead... at least it is here. Sounds like a good idea though. I was looking at getting a small, cheap, kids sleeping bag to do basically the same thing. I would like to see what y'all have come up with though.

DK </div></div>

Sorry about that. I'll have to get the link fixed. I go right to it but I copied the link while logged into my Facebook account.

That is a great idea.

Willis is great at making ideas into reality.

Charlie

Not a problem. I have a pretty good idea what you are referring to anyway. I appreciate any efforts when people do things to help out the shooting community.

Carry on!!

DK

Sorry for the delay, here are the pics.

SOE_Mat_1.jpg

SOE_Mat_2.jpg

SOE_Mat_3.jpg

SOE_Mat_4.jpg

Man, that's awesome, the only thing I can think of that might add to it is a little non-skid material maybe on the bottom and a a padded area for knees and elbows, like the cheaper midway mat. I would buy one of these just to protect my sleep pad, Great idea!

Any idea on cost and how soon they will be available?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sdkidaho</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any idea on cost and how soon they will be available? </div></div>

I'm sure that the more interest there is the faster they will be available. He was talking $75 but I'm not sure about that.

I should also add that he is talkin about accessories for the Velcro section for shooting cards and such.

Great Idea.

However, all you really need is to keep knees to torso/elbow length protected. You could use the shorter Thermarest and keep the setup more compact and portable. I'd be in for one of the shorter ones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George Mac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great Idea.

However, all you really need is to keep knees to torso/elbow length protected. You could use the shorter Thermarest and keep the setup more compact and portable. I'd be in for one of the shorter ones.

</div></div>

I would think that this using the shorter mat, then with a section of just fabric to fold forward for the rifle would be quite nice. As you said, keep the padding just under the torso/elbows/knees and you'd be good to go.

Charlie

Neat idea, may have to give him a call.
My thinking is that the 3/4 to full length mat makes more sense unless you plan to hump it over a few mountains on a hunt. As if you're going to be prone for a while, & it's not July, the ground will suck the heat out of you in a hurry. And such applies, both whether you're shooting, or sleeping on said piece of kit.
Just my $0.02 anyway.

Maybe I am getting old or maybe it's my five kids but I envision being able to nap between shots
smile.gif

Great idea. Count me in. Now when are we going to see an SOE Drag Bag and a Discrete(low profile)Rifle Bag?

Great idea.......my ribs are feeling better already
I am in

Ide like something a little wider but Ide buy one.

I'm in for sure, hell on an hunting trip your shooting mat can double as your sleeping pad. I wouldn't add too much to the current design, maybe wings to make more room for elbows. Too many pockets will make a lumpy sleeping mat
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wheres-Waldo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ide like something a little wider but Ide buy one. </div></div>

If I recall correctly these are 72" X 24"

Great idea. How about pockets on the for ammo and magazines. I like it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great idea. How about pockets on the for ammo and magazines. I like it! </div></div>

Those will come as accessories for the velcro section at the head of the pad.

For those who are interested in one of these like the SOE page on Facebook. This is where the first ones will be offered.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Special-Operations-Equipment/372313363858

I should mention that I myself am not making money on these. I went to John with my idea because I wanted one for myself. I'll be getting one of these for free but I'm not being compensated in any other way. I'm just getting this out there because I feel that others may be able to use it and because John makes kick ass products.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3one5</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sdkidaho</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any idea on cost and how soon they will be available? </div></div>

I'm sure that the more interest there is the faster they will be available. He was talking $75 but I'm not sure about that. </div></div>

And I'm new enough around here that I don't know who "he" is. I'm not seeing the company name with a quick look on that facebook page. Who is it, and does he have a website?

Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sdkidaho</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this it?

http://www.originalsoegear.com/ </div></div>

That's the one. John Willis is the owners name.

Re: New shooting mat from Orignial SOE [pics are up]

Thought I should inform you guys of a prior deal I have with John Willis. Long story short, I order exactly $545 worth of gear from him starting June or July 2006. Maybe around 5 times I asked for some small changes before he ever started the work. The order was for some custom pouches and some smaller standard items. He then ignored my emails for a couple of years I think it was. I posted on forums, sent him PMs via various forums, sent him my phone number, asked for his phone number, asked people who claimed to have spoken with him how they reached him, and I heard nothing from him. Around May of last year he finally acknowledged he owed me the order and promised he would fulfill it. I didn't have the exact amount on hand, so I said $500 as I knew it was at least that amount. We agreed on dropping anything custom, allowing me to pick from his standard items. The order was changed to 2 med bags, a dog leash and 2 6x6 pouches so that he wouldn't be bothered with anything custom. He even said the items would be sewed that week. Around February 2011 I still had nothing and made a post similar to this one. He then sent an email saying I would receive my order, that he has no problem with his actions and doesn't care that I would never deal with him again. Also, he threatened if I ever say anything like this about him, he would delay my order even more. The only thing I did "wrong" is be annoying, I guess. Regardless, having seen multiple people being screwed over like I have been, I don't expect to ever see anything from him. I paid in 2 installments, $435 of which was via USPS MO in the very beginning, then maybe 3-6 mo later I paid $110 via personal check. The dates are rough, but he seems to have no problem accepting someone's money and not delivering. I haven’t heard from him since.

All I'm asking from him is to deliver what I have paid for a long time ago. Edited to say I offered him the choice to send me whatever items of his current lineup he has in stock to complete this order.

Edited again: no reply to the offer to send me whatever he has on hand just to close the order.

I'm looking at some camping gear and had the same idea this weekend. My idea is slightly different because of the POU. It looks like we're on the right track though.

Well dang... that doesn't sound good BrianTN. I even found some of the Thermarest sleeping pads this weekend that would fit this and that weren't too badly priced - less than $50. I was thinking on two of them - one for me and one for a guy that's been helping me with a new rifle.

Now I'm a bit leery...

Funny how I was just talking about doing this with Brandon before this post came up. Won't cost more than $35 to do.

Bringing this back from the dead.

What Thermarest are people using for this? Info out there says "standard issue". I wasn't in the military so I don't know what was standard-ly issued.

Closed cell or inflatable? Which one?

Thanks.

As an aside, I have a ton of John's gear and buy on a regular basis. Additionally, I've met John. In my experience he is a quality guy. Though he has been slow to answer an email (he's also a busy guy), he has always been first rate on the business side, and has been sure to fix any issue that ever came up.

I have heard that he wasn't always so in the past. I cannot speak to that, but do know that at one point the business had the same name, but was not controlled by John. John eventually took the reigns again and has been improving since.

My my .02

Drew

I'm in after he ships the first 25 or so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrianTN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thought I should inform you guys of a prior deal I have with John Willis. Long story short, I order exactly $545 worth of gear from him starting June or July 2006. Maybe around 5 times I asked for some small changes before he ever started the work. The order was for some custom pouches and some smaller standard items. He then ignored my emails for a couple of years I think it was. I posted on forums, sent him PMs via various forums, sent him my phone number, asked for his phone number, asked people who claimed to have spoken with him how they reached him, and I heard nothing from him. Around May of last year he finally acknowledged he owed me the order and promised he would fulfill it. I didn't have the exact amount on hand, so I said $500 as I knew it was at least that amount. We agreed on dropping anything custom, allowing me to pick from his standard items. The order was changed to 2 med bags, a dog leash and 2 6x6 pouches so that he wouldn't be bothered with anything custom. He even said the items would be sewed that week. Around February 2011 I still had nothing and made a post similar to this one. He then sent an email saying I would receive my order, that he has no problem with his actions and doesn't care that I would never deal with him again. Also, he threatened if I ever say anything like this about him, he would delay my order even more. The only thing I did "wrong" is be annoying, I guess. Regardless, having seen multiple people being screwed over like I have been, I don't expect to ever see anything from him. I paid in 2 installments, $435 of which was via USPS MO in the very beginning, then maybe 3-6 mo later I paid $110 via personal check. The dates are rough, but he seems to have no problem accepting someone's money and not delivering. I haven’t heard from him since.

All I'm asking from him is to deliver what I have paid for a long time ago. Edited to say I offered him the choice to send me whatever items of his current lineup he has in stock to complete this order.

Edited again: no reply to the offer to send me whatever he has on hand just to close the order. </div></div>

IMHO hearing stories like this reminds me why I rarely deal with small one man internet businesses. Long waits to fill orders, prima donna attitudes and too much potential for BS.

I'll wait, I'm sure one of the bigger outfits will pick up the idea.

This is a good idea !!! I will go to fb page for more info.

Nice! Looks durable as well which is a plus. How long till there are in circulation?

Did anyone buy one and have a report of what they thought of it and how the ordering process went for them?

Why Why Why, when a man gives you his word about sending a product to you with his name or his business name on it, he should full fill the order. WHY WHY WHY would any of you do business with a guy like that. One negative post would lead me away. he should send the guy his 500 $$ back and thats the end of that but as you can see that didnt happen. The idea is great, find another maker

Willis got shit kicked off Lightfighter.net for similar behavior to the people who got him his start and grew his business for him.

You've been warned.

OSOE gear has always been GTG. I have the Peltor headband cover and Tearaway IFAK and both are great

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Willis got shit kicked off Lightfighter.net for similar behavior to the people who got him his start and grew his business for him.

You've been warned.</div></div>

Look in this thread on the third post from the top.
http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3556008371/m/591108256?r=823101976#823101976

According to a moderator he hasn't been banned, the person who was saying that has been banned. I checked the member list. It still shows him as an active member. He just post less then I do. Seems most of his review have been good for the last couple of years and most of the one with problems were around 07-08.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kilosierra</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Willis got shit kicked off Lightfighter.net for similar behavior to the people who got him his start and grew his business for him.

You've been warned.</div></div>

Look in this thread on the third post from the top.
http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3556008371/m/591108256?r=823101976#823101976

According to a moderator he hasn't been banned, the person who was saying that has been banned. I checked the member list. It still shows him as an active member. He just post less then I do. Seems most of his review have been good for the last couple of years and most of the one with problems were around 07-08. </div></div>
COD. This is an instance where it's worth the fee. Go back and read the thread you linked.