• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Sierra 169gr SMK (.30)

How many grains of Varget are you using?
I am using 45.5gr of Varget in the 24" gun and 46.5gr in the 20" gun, both in Hornaday Match (tap) brass.

I have a couple thousand pieces of it from work so I started using it a few months back. And when I do all the same work to it that I do with my lapua brass it seems to need about a 1-1.5 grains more then my Lapua brass for the same velocity, the lapau weighs quite a bit more as well, on average over 10gr more.

I also ran a 10 shot ladder with ot knowing where the 24" guns node was, so I stated with 45gr and the 20" gun didn't show a node till 46.4-46.8 it they were all around same 2750 so I loaded like 20 rounds of 46.5 and shot 5 over the chrono 5 on paper and 5 and distance on steel, and for the hell of it I put 5 through the 24" gun to see if it liked this charge, it didn't like it, it had a velocity of 2810 and had a SD of 12.

But all the brass looked good, no swipes, ejector marks, not even any cratering. Primers were a little flatter then then they were at 45.5 but nothing at all alarming.

Last edited:
I am using 45.5gr of Varget in the 24" gun and 46.5gr in the 20" gun, both in Hornaday Match (tap) brass.

I have a couple thousand pieces of it from work so I started using it a few months back. And when I do all the same work to it that I do with my lapua brass it seems to need about a 1-1.5 grains more then my Lapua brass for the same velocity, the lapau weighs quite a bit more as well, on average over 10gr more.

I also ran a 10 shot ladder with ot knowing where the 24" guns node was, so I stated with 45gr and the 20" gun didn't show a node till 46.4-46.8 it they were all around same 2750 so I loaded like 20 rounds of 46.5 and shot 5 over the chrono 5 on paper and 5 and distance on steel, and for the hell of it I put 5 through the 24" gun to see if it liked this charge, it didn't like it, it had a velocity of 2810 and had a SD of 12.

But all the brass looked good, no swipes, ejector marks, not even any cratering. Primers were a little flatter then then they were at 45.5 but nothing at all alarming.
:eek: 46.5 is a pretty hot load . . . even a compressed load. What was the COAL you used for that load?

It is long... something like a CBTO of 2.2580. Won't fit in a mag with a binder plate. Nearly won't fit in one without one. Also the bearing surface on this bullet is allot shorter, and that might be part of the reason it handes hot loads so well.

It is long... something like a CBTO of 2.2580. Won't fit in a mag with a binder plate. Nearly won't fit in one without one. Also the bearing surface on this bullet is allot shorter, and that might be part of the reason it handes hot loads so well.
Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, CBTO doesn't tell me much since I don't know how much freebore your chamber has. That's why I was asking about COAL to get some idea how it relates to my chamber specs.

I load my 169's with a CBTO of 2.227, which puts them at .010 off my lands and the average COAL for them is 2.928". With a CBTO of 2.258, I'd probably have your load at ~.020 of jam. in my gun (assuming our caliper inserts measures the CBTO's same).

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, CBTO doesn't tell me much since I don't know how much freebore your chamber has. That's why I was asking about COAL to get some idea how it relates to my chamber specs.

I load my 169's with a CBTO of 2.227, which puts them at .010 off my lands and the average COAL for them is 2.928". With a CBTO of 2.258, I'd probably have your load at ~.020 of jam. in my gun (assuming our caliper inserts measures the CBTO's same).
I am off at training this week and can measure one when I get back home.

Reactions: straightshooter1
In FGMM brass and 185 Berger hybrids I can only get 43.3 to 43.5 gr. Of Varget befire I start getting compressed loads. 43.5 and I get pretty stiff bolt lift and difficult extraction. I only touched off one at that much Varget. Pulled them apart and redid the 50 with 43.0 gr. Varget. It’s giving me 2540 to 2550 FPS from a 20” barrel. It’s going down into the .4’s at 100 and just under 2.000” at 300. Will be testing more this Saturday for my first 600 yard F/TR match of the season the following Saturday. 🤞🏻

So I just got home and weighed about 10 pieces of the Hornady Match brass I am running, and it around 155grns a piece, Lapua is like 172grns a piece. So there is a substantial difference in volume, which would explain the higher charge a bit. I will messenger them for OAL tomorrow.

Last edited:
I have shot these out of my 24" 308 to 1350yrds in some pretty good winds up here in SE Alaska, 1000yrds is well inside of the operating limits of this bullet, 1350 took a few shots and 3-2 mills of varying wind holds to get on the 24" plate

Thanks for the tip, Rhed

I picked up a thousand of the 169's -- Never shot them before

Reactions: Rhed
Thanks for the tip, Rhed

I picked up a thousand of the 169's -- Never shot them before
I'm confident you'll like them.

I've been using them since they came out and I like them much better than 175 SMK's, even better than the 168 SMK at he shorter distances. They powder charges for good performance are very close to that of the 168's.

Has anyone tried these in a gasser yet? I have an Aero Precision AR-10 w/ an 18" Wilson Combat Super Sniper barrel. I typically reload and shoot the 175smk out of my gun and it easily give me 1/2moa groups. I'm just looking for the extra velocity I'm assuming I would get going down a few grains in bullet weight and the advertised BCs look tempting. I mostly use Varget since I bought a few 8lbs jugs before the "panic". This is more for plinking fun but I am considering shooting some PRS matches with it next season if it's worth it.
I bought some 169SMK to try in my JP LRP-07. JP is new and only has 100rnds on the bbl. Brass was new Hornady which I found cheap. I normally run Lapua but didn’t want to in a gas gun (loss of brass and possibly have it torn up during extraction). I don’t start serious load dev. until 200rnds on bbls and I use 1x - 2x fire-formed annealed brass. I was just looking to see if anything showed potential while I got some rounds down the bbl. Tried Varget, IMR4064 and VV N140 at a few charge weights with the 169s loaded at mag length (PMAG) 2.800. Best groups pictured. VV N140 could be a real winner. I was surprised Varget didn’t shoot and it also showed pressure (swipe and ejector mark) at low charge weight. Will retest both of these loads and will get serious after I get another 100 rnds down the bbl. I‘ll take best load to distance and report back. On a side note, I tried Hornady 155gr ELDM with same powders and they didn’t shoot. Hornady 110VMAX with H335 shot .6-.7

Ballistic-X-Export-2024-03-17 14:37:22.331074.jpgBallistic-X-Export-2024-03-17 14:29:31.177665.jpg

Reactions: BlueDemon
I tried the 169's in my POF Revolution DI and they were "ok" not great but maybe not the right powder (4046 and Varget) loaded at 2.800 as well. Had high hopes after how well they did in my bolt gun. I may try with VV N550 (or maybe N140!) since that produced an even tighter group than 4046 did on the bolt gun. I can never get Varget to produce super accurate loads except at very low velocities.

I've tried the Hornady 155 ELDM's and the 155 Match HPBT's back to back and the latter had better groups so you may want to try those nickw.

Reactions: nickw
I tried the 169's in my POF Revolution DI and they were "ok" not great but maybe not the right powder (4046 and Varget) loaded at 2.800 as well. Had high hopes after how well they did in my bolt gun. I may try with VV N550 (or maybe N140!) since that produced an even tighter group than 4046 did on the bolt gun. I can never get Varget to produce super accurate loads except at very low velocities.

I've tried the Hornady 155 ELDM's and the 155 Match HPBT's back to back and the latter had better groups so you may want to try those nickw.
what speeds did you get your 169s?

I'm at 44.2 on Varget and I am seeing 2720s FPS with not so great SDs

IMR 4046 yielded about 2707 and VV N550 was, if I remember correctly, around 2690. 20" barrel, suppressed. Edit: Would like to add I'm using MDT mags without the binder plate so my COAL is long. Have to look at my notes but I'm .020 of the jam. I don't have my load notes in front of me but I have some data from the Garmin phone app for the VV550. It was 46.5 grains and I was pretty close, 2692.7fps. I just use PMC X-Tac once-fired brass, either 21 or 22 head stamp, single stage press and nothing fancy processing wise so likely with a bit more brass prep precision, the load could be even better. Probably not as good as radarjr below though! I don't have enough patience or product to do seating depth tests. I just guessed and it seems to work for paper punching since I don't compete.

Last edited:
I've been competing PRS tac division and other matches with the 169 SMKs for about 1-1/2 years now, getting decent groups (0.21" and 0.17"). Seating depth nodes aren't as forgiving as I'd like, but I've found a 0.010 wide node around 0.110 jump. It liked touching the lands best for me, but it didn't last through two matches. Other small nodes were found at 0.010 and 0.070. I'm running 2750 with Varget and 26" barrel. Pictured are 200yd seating depth tests.

Attachments

• 20240303_135932.jpg
    20240303_135932.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: 6.5 GUY
I've been competing PRS tac division and other matches with the 169 SMKs for about 1-1/2 years now, getting decent groups (0.21" and 0.17"). Seating depth nodes aren't as forgiving as I'd like, but I've found a 0.010 wide node around 0.110 jump. It liked touching the lands best for me, but it didn't last through two matches. Other small nodes were found at 0.010 and 0.070. I'm running 2750 with Varget and 26" barrel. Pictured are 200yd seating depth tests.
Now I’m interested to see what I can produce with my new 169 recipe, I had a 168TMK that was mint but I ran out of them.

169 Varget load written on target. Have a 2800 speed limit for Tac class. Can’t remember what that jump was & not home to look.

I switched to the 177’s mid summer last year using RL15.5

That load just happened to be within 5fps of factory 168 FGMM (the old white box). The newer Brown box 168 has been disappointing @ over 100fps slower. Sucks cause my 18” AR Loved the White box. Brown box lot I have sucks.
IMG_7727.jpeg

Last edited:
169 Varget load written on target. Have a 2800 speed limit for Tac class. Can’t remember what that jump was & not home to look.

I switched to the 177’s mid summer last year using RL15.5

That load just happened to be within 5fps of factory 168 FGMM (the old white box). The newer Brown box 168 has been disappointing @ over 100fps slower. Sucks cause my 18” AR Loved the White box. Brown box lot I have sucks.
View attachment 8376940
I see the same problem with the bayonet attached on a few different guns. I hate seeing better groups with it on, then off.

Reactions: nickw
Dang it missed this
No you didn't. I just ordered 1K of them. Also I just noticed it states repacked in the link.

I ordered them on Saturday but didn't want to post anything until they actually processed my order. I wasnt sure it went through, for whatever reason I have issues with their website.

I have been debating between the 169smks and the SwissP 168 that Raven Rock has for awhile. Still might order some 168s if I need free shipping in the future.

Hopefully I can get a load with Staball Match it throws really nice with my Harrells powder throw and I have a bunch of new primed FC brass here.

Last edited: