• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Sierra 169gr SMK (.30)

Yes, it is Seirra's answer to the 168SMK 300 yard comepitition bullet as it was originally designed, to beyond 600 yards AND to shut up Brian Litz. He's been crying like a bitch over the 168SMK since his first book we all bought, read, and now only look at the back once in a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lost a club match by two points overall shooting the 169s yesterday, and I bombed the first stage due to being rusty off of barricades and not realizing how much a 308 actually recoils lol. Ran the .255 g7 and it was good all the way to 1000. 42gr 8208 @ 2730 FPS.

Lost a club match by two points overall shooting the 169s yesterday, and I bombed the first stage due to being rusty off of barricades and not realizing how much a 308 actually recoils lol. Ran the .255 g7 and it was good all the way to 1000. 42gr 8208 @ 2730 FPS.
Nice velocity. What length barrel?

26” Krieger. And zero pressure. I think getting 2900+ would be very doable.
I am getting 2840fps in virgin Lapua brass, 26”, Varget with a suppressor on. Could go hotter I suppose but what’s the point. Probably easily get there with a 30” barrel if you wanted to.

Reactions: padom and lte82
I am getting 2840fps in virgin Lapua brass, 26”, Varget with a suppressor on. Could go hotter I suppose but what’s the point. Probably easily get there with a 30” barrel if you wanted to.
I can’t really go over 2800 for PRS tac class anyway. Plus the recoil is plenty as it is.

Reactions: Aussieusa
i have bought and shot a partial box. and several boxes remaining, Midwayusa now lists these as clearance items?

Received 300 of them in the mail this week. Looking forward to loading them up and testing.

Not that its relevant to the thread, but I keep seeing this - what is 'tag'?

Ok. But why not just use the 'watch' button, since that's what it does? Top right side of every thread, right next to 'jump to new'.

Reactions: 308pirate
I got 1K of the 169smk for shooting Tac next year at times.
Miss the ol 30 hate...

Reactions: moosemeat
Has anyone tried these in a gasser yet? I have an Aero Precision AR-10 w/ an 18" Wilson Combat Super Sniper barrel. I typically reload and shoot the 175smk out of my gun and it easily give me 1/2moa groups. I'm just looking for the extra velocity I'm assuming I would get going down a few grains in bullet weight and the advertised BCs look tempting. I mostly use Varget since I bought a few 8lbs jugs before the "panic". This is more for plinking fun but I am considering shooting some PRS matches with it next season if it's worth it.

Reactions: nickw
Has anyone tried these in a gasser yet? I have an Aero Precision AR-10 w/ an 18" Wilson Combat Super Sniper barrel. I typically reload and shoot the 175smk out of my gun and it easily give me 1/2moa groups. I'm just looking for the extra velocity I'm assuming I would get going down a few grains in bullet weight and the advertised BCs look tempting. I mostly use Varget since I bought a few 8lbs jugs before the "panic". This is more for plinking fun but I am considering shooting some PRS matches with it next season if it's worth it.

Reactions: Off Duty Ninja
If you shoot tac class, this is going to be the bullet to beat. I was hoping for a trued G7 of .270+ but it came in at a respectable .265. Accuracy is outstanding as well. Load was just 42 gr 8208, virgin Peterson brass, jumping .030. Zero load development, I just did this to get a BC. All charges thrown on a Lee powder measure.

First group on a cold barrel was just a tiny bit off center, but super small. Maybe a .2? Adjusted zero, shot one centered up and went to it. It shot great everywhere, but I only snapped a couple pics of the better ones which happened to be at 500 & 800. Sub moa without trying. 9.6 mil @ 1000, 2735 FPS, zero pressure.
Sweet shooting man! I'll need to grab some of these!

Reactions: lte82
I just received another 500 from Midsouth. Did a BTO measurement (Stony Point/Hornady tool) on all 500 last night:
(379) - 0.649-0.651"
(101) - 0.657-0.660"
(22) - 0.653-0.655"

Scored an 8lb jug of 4064 at Shyda's about a month ago, so I am good-to-go fo loading these for my AI.

Tried them in my TacOps Lima51, but I cannot load an OAL longer than 2.830" in that rifle as the nose hits the feed ramp under the chamber. I could mill a notch in the area like I did on my R700 in 260, but on the Lima, it's sacrilege.
20190707_092355[1].jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 6.5 GUY and padom
Is there a more cost effective option for older 1:12 barrels at 1k+ yards?

Over the winter these suckers have had a big bump in price and always seem to be out of stock. I started getting them from midway on sale at
$38/100. Shot a PRS match with them and loved them, but now they are $53/100. Just grabbed a few boxes off of midsouth for $43/100 but tax and shipping are a killer. If you could get the 500 count packs you save some money, but those are never in stock anywhere.

I know prices are high now and inflation.. blah blah blah... but flirting with an average of $50/100 after shipping and I think this PRS season the 308 is staying in the cabinet because I'm stocked up on 105 amax for the 6BR. Its a pitty, because I was having a blast with my 308.

Over the winter these suckers have had a big bump in price and always seem to be out of stock. I started getting them from midway on sale at
$38/100. Shot a PRS match with them and loved them, but now they are $53/100. Just grabbed a few boxes off of midsouth for $43/100 but tax and shipping are a killer. If you could get the 500 count packs you save some money, but those are never in stock anywhere.

I know prices are high now and inflation.. blah blah blah... but flirting with an average of $50/100 after shipping and I think this PRS season the 308 is staying in the cabinet because I'm stocked up on 105 amax for the 6BR. Its a pitty, because I was having a blast with my 308.
Maybe the 168 AMAX?

168 AMAX/ELDM

I’ve got 1200 or so of these… haven’t shot them yet because since buying last year, I have yet to see them in stock anywhere 2022…. Anyone know the deal? If they quit making them, I was going to sell them off and go back to a manufactured bullet that’s able to be purchased.

I’ve got 1200 or so of these… haven’t shot them yet because since buying last year, I have yet to see them in stock anywhere 2022…. Anyone know the deal? If they quit making them, I was going to sell them off and go back to a manufactured bullet that’s able to be purchased.
Earlier this year I had use about 300 of the 1000 I bought last year and planned to shoot a lot more so I kept an eye out for some more. I don't remember exactly when, but earlier this year I saw some at one place and sure enough, another place had them also, so I picked up a box of 500 from each place to be sure I had enough to last a year or so. Yes, there's been 169 SMK's available earlier this year, but like so many, it seem production tends to focus on market needs (maybe because of limited raw materials, like for jackets. This time of year it appears that hunting bullets are mostly being produced.

If you decide to sell those 1200, let me know. I'll be glad to dispose them for you. ;)

Reactions: 6.5 GUY
Earlier this year I had use about 300 of the 1000 I bought last year and planned to shoot a lot more so I kept an eye out for some more. I don't remember exactly when, but earlier this year I saw some at one place and sure enough, another place had them also, so I picked up a box of 500 from each place to be sure I had enough to last a year or so. Yes, there's been 169 SMK's available earlier this year, but like so many, it seem production tends to focus on market needs (maybe because of limited raw materials, like for jackets. This time of year it appears that hunting bullets are mostly being produced.

If you decide to sell those 1200, let me know. I'll be glad to dispose them for you. ;)
I’ll keep that in mind. I don’t shoot it much, but I may let them go and try the 175s or something from Hornady. My 308 is a 16” tikka, so probably won’t try and take it much past 700.
Plus, i have 8208 to use for powder, not sure how that’d do under 175’s

What load you been using on the tmk and what velocity are you getting
42.2 to 42.4gr. of Benchmark. Fed. GMM twice fired brass and Winchester primers. Base to ogive of 2.2530. 2600 FPS at 4500’ and 68 degrees and 15% humidity at time of testing. Of course the first match I shot with this load the temp was 32 so velocity dropped to about 2536.

42.2 to 42.4gr. of Benchmark. Fed. GMM twice fired brass and Winchester primers. Base to ogive of 2.2530. 2600 FPS at 4500’ and 68 degrees and 15% humidity at time of testing. Of course the first match I shot with this load the temp was 32 so velocity dropped to about 2536.
What barrel length? They have shot accurately? I've always heard the 168 TMK was finnicky. But I centered my XM3 build around it.

Awesome. I’m hoping to get 2650 from the XM3
I've been shooting them since they first came out in my suppressed GAP 1:9.5 Bart/impact. I got the best results w/H4895, CCI-34's in Lapua brass....... I don't remember how far off the lands I am but it's a short throat chamber.... 2.800ish. But only going around 2,550 f/p. Super accurate in my rifle out to 1,200 yards.... not so good beyond the transonic zone (1,250) even with a 1:9.5 twist. But yah, it's a 308 Win. not a 260 Rem!

Reactions: straightshooter1
I've been shooting them since they first came out in my suppressed GAP 1:9.5 Bart/impact. I got the best results w/H4895, CCI-34's in Lapua brass....... I don't remember how far off the lands I am but it's a short throat chamber.... 2.800ish. But only going around 2,550 f/p. Super accurate in my rifle out to 1,200 yards.... not so good beyond the transonic zone (1,250) even with a 1:9.5 twist. But yah, it's a 308 Win. not a 260 Rem!
I ended up going 168 TMK for the BC. Had it throated specifically so i could seat them out. I think i did .130 freebore and David Deep South nailed it. This is what it looks like in the oal gauge. I’ll have to get the XM3 notched no doubt. But i plan on shipping it to LRI this weekend.
22924109-B801-4845-A854-86EDD0E043F2.jpeg

If we're talking 168 TMK, I'll simply throw out that Federal T308T runs 2625 fps at the muzzle from my 20" Delta-51 compared to 2605 fps for FGMM 168 SMK. Feels like one should be able to handload into that range without too much of an issue.

If we're talking 168 TMK, I'll simply throw out that Federal T308T runs 2625 fps at the muzzle from my 20" Delta-51 compared to 2605 fps for FGMM 168 SMK. Feels like one should be able to handload into that range without too much of an issue.
I’m going to do a ladder test Sunday with the 169 and 8208 out of a 16” tikka. No idea what to expect being the barrel is slow anyways, and now short

I’m going to do a ladder test Sunday with the 169 and 8208 out of a 16” tikka. No idea what to expect being the barrel is slow anyways, and now short
Winner winner chicken dinner with 8208 out of SBR's...... you should see good results as long as everything else is working for you. It's well known how well that powder works in the Winchester.

The last blems I bought from Midway looked like "the hills have eyes" people. Some had cannulers, some didn't, obvious different bullets mixed in, not even the same weight family. It was like they moved one of the machines at Sierra and somebody had to sweep up all the stuff that was left underneath of it. They sold that to Midway.
I'll report back after the ones I purchased arrived, I had heard good things about their current batch of seconds.

I am giving up on sierra. To many bullets not available. To many that are look like dog shit. Weights all over the place. Seems like they have went to shit the last couple of years. I know they are trying to meet demand, but that doesn't mean send out what ever. A standard has to be held. I'll just pay more for better bullets. With the cost of powder and primers I'm the extra .10 a shot is inconsequential.

Received my 169SMK factory seconds from Midway. Looks like a solid deal to me. I ordered 400, sorted through about 100 of them already. No external defects that I see, no scratches, dings, dents, bent tips, etc. They externally look the same as the new boxes I have.

Weighed a random picking of 25. All but two fell between 168.9-169.1gr, those two were 169.2. Not too bad....

Happy with them for $27 per 100 box.

Bought 500 a few months ago when they became available and they are, hands down, the best bullet I've tested so far out of my Sig Cross with a 20" CarbonSix barrel. I had two charges that were half MOA but all five charges I tested that day were splitting hairs. Just seemed to be the easiest to get results with right off the bat. Loaded at AICS mag length. Did a 10 shot proof test and except for one flyer, was all sub MOA, 2761fps average w/suppressor mounted.

Reactions: Nebulous and AN22
In stock at PV. A few box left of 500 pc. Ordered a box.

Well, I have been playing with them in 2 of my 308s. I have been using recycled Hornady TAP brass, BR2s and Varget. Found a great node in my 24" gun that shoots pretty darn good without touching seating depth. Set that at .030.
20230327_183540.jpg
20230402_145637.jpg

And then I tried them in my 20" work gun and the node I fou d was at the same speed and the brass look good but I am tempted to redo it and try and find a slower node, I am just use to slower nodes out of my 308s.
20230414_171053.jpg
20230414_171625.jpg

Reactions: Rhed and AN22