• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report New Sierra 7mm 180gr SMK

Heman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2009
Ohio
Was just wondering if anybody has tested the new Sierra 7mm 180gr SMK and if so does it need the 1:8 as advertised? I use a 1:9 with the 175gr SMKs. What is the OAL of the 180gr SMK?

Re: New Sierra 7mm 180gr SMK

I got a handful as a sample while out at SHOT. I plan to do some testing with them for:

Seating sensitivity
OAL of bullet
Stability in 9tw 7mm tube
Supersonic to subsonic transition stability at extended range.

I had to mail them home so as not to get stuck checking a bag on the airplane for a box of bullets. When they come in the mail (hopefully today or tomorrow) then I will put up the OAL and begin work on the flight testing. I have a soon to be delivered UGSW receiver coming in the next week or so. As soon as it arrives I'll be fitting the barrel in a 7/300 WSM configuration and then shooting for the horizon with the:

162 Amax
180 Berger Hybrid
175 SMK
180 SMK

And reporting the results here.

My pair of Rugers chambered in .280 Rem with 1:9" twist are anxious to hear this outcome...

Same here I fell in love with the 175 SMK with my 7mm WSM and why I built a .280 up for NRA LR matches. Last year for Camp Perry I got the 180 Hybrids. The 175's have always shot on call for me and at the state match at Perry I had a 199-8X (with irons). Well worked up what I thought was a good load with Hybrids and I never felt they were on call at Nationals. At a 2x1000 at Atterbury afterwords I shot 1 string with the Hybrids and 1 with the SMKs and the SMKs shot better. Still have about 250 hybrids so I'm going to play around soem more with them. Not saying the Hybrids don't shoot but the Sierra's got shooting easier and quicker and for the $0.20 difference per bullet I'm going to probably stick with the Sierra's for me its just a matter of if it will be the good old 175 or the new 180. I did email Paul Box at Sierra and he said the reason they have 1:8 on the box is incase if someone tries to use them in a short barreld 7mm-08, he said 1:9 would work fine.

Cant wait to get a 7mm Build done so I can start on these projectiles. The 7mm World is very exciting
smile.gif

Bohem, did you ever get the OAL measured on those new 180 grains? Anxious minds want to know!

Bohem;

I estimate the 300WSM case capacity to be about 5-10gr greater than the .280 Rem. Please give us some ballpark load data for your chosen bullets. I intend to continue with H-4350 as my initial test propellant with the heavies in the .280. It's been very satisfactory with the 120gr Nos BT. My Dillon powder measure maxes out at about 57.5gr and the load shows only limited pressure indicators.

Greg

Bohem

You know I am happy to run the 180 smks out of my 7WSM just to see if they work at something close to 3,100 fps...

I know its cold and snowing, but dang...go shoot and give us some info...
wink.gif

Jeffvn

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattmcg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bohem, did you ever get the OAL measured on those new 180 grains? Anxious minds want to know! </div></div>

They have not shown up in the mail yet. I'm getting worried, it's been 10 days since they were posted.

As soon as I have them, I'll measure it for you guys and let you know.

Jeff-

I'm going to shove them out of a 7/300 WSM with a 28" 9tw on the receiver. Right now there's 2 things going on:

1) Bullets are somewhere in transit from Las Vegas
2) My receiver is still pending though supposedly shipping this week.

Assuming the receiver shows up before next weekend, I will have the rifle assembled in about 10 days from now and shooting it to get ready for a match on March 5th & 6th.

Greg-

Water capacity on the 280 Rem with Win brass was 69-70gr to the base of the neck, the 7/300 brass at the base of the neck is 82gr or appx 15% increase in capacity.

H4350 is too fast for the heavies in the 280 I think too, I tried it a lot and shot out a whole barrel in it messing with various bullet weights between match shooting. RL22 shows pressure signs before 90% case fill on the 180 Bergers and RL22 is closer to H4831sc than H4350 in burn rate.

I will be starting with H4831sc and H1000, I've found H4350 to be too fast for the heavy bullets in a WSM case, this isn't the first 7/300 that I've worked with. In fact, 4831sc is a marginally fast for the 175-180's, it works exceptionally well on the 162's but the RL25 and H1000 speed the 180's along better from the limited experience that I have with them.

I'm sure that Jeffvn can comment regarding the detail on those 2 powders, he's shot a whole lot more 7 WSM than I have.

With 120gr bullets the H4350 is a very good powder and you get good case fill (90+%) before pressure signs emerge.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They have not shown up in the mail yet. I'm getting worried, it's been 10 days since they were posted.</div></div></span>
Probably due to the ice storms back east. I have been waiting several days myself for a package.

I emailed Sierra on there availability and this is the response from a Duane Siercks:

<span style="font-style: italic">I don’t have an actual date, but it should be very soon.</span>

RL-25 and H1000 with the 7WSM. ohhhhh yeah. Those were my two favorite powders for my 7WSM when I lived in Houston. The RL-25 ran a touch faster, but the H1000 was a bit tighter group. When I moved to Vegas, the RL-25 just didn't like the summer heat - and I didn't want to go with two loads for different seasons. SO its H1000 out here for my 7WSM.

JeffVN

OK, that helps. I will pick up some H-4831SC for the heavies (..or maybe H-1000, or R/S Magnum; decisons, decisions...).

Greg

I have found no significant increases in shooting the 180 VLD's over the 175 SMK's in my 7 WSM, even to 2k yards. I'm bummed that I must have missed the samples at the Sierra booth at SHOT. Anxiously awaiting some test results.

I just received a reply to my inquiry from Sierra that the 7mm 180gr MatchKing is 1.455" in OAL. Looks like it is just a hair longer than the 175gr. I'm interested in seeing the differences.

Anybody able to take an up close pic of each side-by-side?

When the box arrives I'll get a detail photo of the 175 and 180 SMK next to 162 Amax and 180 Berger Hybrid. Should be very soon now....

Interested to hear how these shoot. Interesting to see how they compare against the Bergers I have been shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: banks74</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interested to hear how these shoot. Interesting to see how they compare against the Bergers I have been shooting.
</div></div>

Exactly why I'm interested in them as well. I'll keep you apprised of my results.

Hey guys I have been watching this post for awhile and I just got a couple boxes of these and took some measurements kind of surprizing. The new 180's are about the same length as a 175 smk I got an average of about 1.449 inches with the 180's and 1.446 for the 175's. The ogive length's though are way different. I get .796 ogive length on the 175's and only .603 for the 180's. These new sierras are just what I need for my long throat short action saum savage. With the shorter ogive I should be able to mag feed and still get close to the lands something I could only do with a 168 smk before which has an ogive length of. 566 by the way if anyone is wondering. All ogive measurements were taken with a hornady lock n load comp. set.

That is excellent data Matthew314. I somewhat expected the nose to ogive measurement to increase as this looks to be a solid new VLD offering.

This looks to about match Berger's 180 offering with a slightly shorter OAL.

Yeah it looks alot like the 168 smk on steroids and if it shoots anything like the 168 for me its going to be my new favorite. I'm going to load some up and hopefully shoot this weekend it's suposed to be in the mid to upper 30s here so it should be a great time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matthew314</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can buy them now you just gotta look for them got mine from grafs </div></div>

Found some!

Box showed up yesterday...

I will get some pics this weekend of the 180, 168 SMK's against the 180 Berg Hyb and 162 Amax.

I thought I'd snagged some 175 SMK's @ the show but I was mistaken, the baggie says "168 MK 7" on it.

Hey guys shot the new 180's today. I found out while loading these up that the oal on these in my saum is actually shorter then my 168 smk loads unless I messed somthing up I have to load these about .060" shorter then the 168's in order to put them just off the lands. I am going to recheck everything later but so far things are going great my barrel really likes these and all test groups never went over 1.5 moa at 200 yards some loads were well under 1 moa so I will have to play with those some more. I can't say how they do at long ranges as 200 yards was the max I shot them at but so far they seem to be the answer for anyone trying to get a hich bc bullet to mag feed out of a short action especially in a barrel with a long throat like mine. I will post again after shooting them out further.

Just a heads up for anyone who is looking for these, they have these in stock at midway now. Ordered a box sunday to try in my new .284 win build.

Excellent thread! Anxiously awaiting some results as well! I am starting to gather parts for my next build sometime in the next couple months as soon as I finish up a couple more projects. I am thinking 7mm-300WM. With a 28 to 30" tube I should easily be able to get these up to around 3100.

Wow, the tips are horrible on all of those. Do you happen to have a Amax to compare them to?

I dont get too concerned about the tips. I havent seen it make a huge difference in "my" shooting. I want to get a meplat trimmer and pointing die to get the full BC values of the Hybrids, but I dont foresee if making a difference in "my" scores. (Others may shoot well enough to realize the difference, but I dont).

I have not bought or shot any Amax bullets, the BC isnt high enough for me to get too exited. If I wanted to shoot a 0.599 BC bullet, I would have stayed in the 6.5 caliber realm. If I point the Hybrid bullets, my BC is about 0.1 higher than the Amax bullet, 0.075 if not. To me, that difference is enough that I havent shot any of the Amax bullets.

Thanks for that info. I just started using a SMK in my .308 when I noticed the bullet tips were uneven/jagged. Didn't know if it would be an issue or not and haven't researched it to see.

I have only used the Amax in mine with great results so far but, am looking forward to something new to toy with.

i have not tried the 168 but the 190 shoot really well in my saum

First: hello, I've been a long time lurker on this forum (maybe six years?) but never contributed or solicited help, preferring instead to scan and absorb the contributions of others without diluting the discussion with my own observations. Great site, some of the most informed and thoughtful threads I've ever followed have taken place here...not to mention entertaining. So thanks to all who've contributed in that time for deepening my understanding and appreciation of the shooting sports...even you, maser.

Second: was wondering if anyone who has had the chance to load the 180gr. .284 SMK would care to contribute starting, or even median loads for the 7WSM? This will be fired through a 1:9 Krieger on a surgeon scalpel. Brass is WW turned to .0135 neck, Fed 215 primers. I have H1000, US869, RL22 and RL25 powders in the cabinet, but am hoping to find a load with H1000. Loading to mag length only. Headed to the range in the AM, and will post back with 300 meter results and chrono report but looking for a place to start. Thanks in advance.

Nearmiss welcome aboard. The information you are looking for is found in the reloading forum, more specifically, the Reloading Depot within the reloading forum.

Jeffvn

Thanks JeffVN, I've not looked in that sub forum for awhile. Was following the postings in the 7-08/7wsm/7mag thread there, but can't recall anything specific to the 7wsm and 180 SMK. Guess it's time for another look!

In the absence of any other information, I guess I can just start at the bottom of the 180 Berger ballistic tip data and work up.

Have you looked here?

http://www.6mmbr.com/7mm284.html#7WSM

At the bottom of the write up on 7WSM, it looks like around 66g of H1000 is what they found to work well with the 180g bullets. In my shooting of the 180g SMKs, so far, they dont seem to produce more pressure than the 180g Berger's. I would start 64g or so and work up to a goal of 66 to 66.5g, pending total OAL, looking for pressure.

Thanks kyreloader, I have read that thread. In fact it was information on that site that prompted me to give the 7wsm a whirl! It seems there's no shortage of good info regarding this case and the 180 grain bergers, but as of yet...not much for the 180 smk. The bearing surface length is very close to the 180 Berger ballistic tip (non VLD), and I'm comfortable starting with the beta for that bullet and working up. In fact was hoping to turn powder into gas this weekend and have something to report but the weather was crap...cold and high winds. Typical of March here in the Anchorage area so may have to wait for April. Just more time for brass prep!

Regards,
Nearmiss

I was running some numbers through JBM and cannot see a significant advantage to the 180 smk over the 162 amax I shoot now. Is there something I am missing? I was wanting to try the 180 smk but not if there is no advantage to doing so. Comments?

Looking at 6mmbr.com at the 284 loads, the 162g Amax load is listed at 2910fps and the 180g load at 2810 fps. The BC of the Amax is 0.599 (Litz) and the BC of the SMK is listed at 0.660 (no Litz that I know). If you plug those numbers into JBM, the 180s win in the all important wind drift. You have to decide if the difference between the two is enough for you.

600 yards:
162 -11.6 MOA drop, 3.3 MOA drift
180 -12.3 MOA drop, 3.2 MOA drift

1000 yards:
162 -26.6 MOA drop, 6.3 MOA drift
180 -27.7 MOA drop, 6.0 MOA drift

Got a 100 today to try out. Do the SMK's generally like to be "jumped" or "jammed?"

Usually the SMKs are fairly tolerant of being jumped. I haven't seen a diagram of the 180gr ogive but that should give some guidance once the diagram is out there.

I noticed today while loading the last of my 175's and a few 180's that the bearing surface on the 180's is much longer. It' s barely perceptible, but there is an obvious shoulder on the 180's as it transitions to the flat. The 175's are a much smoother transition. I wonder what effect this has on BC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys who overlook the 162 are cheating themselves. </div></div>

The amax? I shot 600+ of them out to 1k. I could get tiny 100 yd groups but, only so-so groups beyond. I always blamed the shooter on mediocre accuracy. After shooting these 180s to 1k I can safely say they shoot <span style="font-style: italic">significantly</span> better than the amax ever did at all distances. Of course thats me and my gun so thats all I can base my opinions on. But, I'll be putting up the rest on my amaxs in the FS section real soon
grin.gif

AMAXs will not shoot in all guns. My old Broughton barrel the AMAXs will shoot consistant 4-5" groups. Put some heavies in and it will shrink down to < half MOA groups. It was really odd too. One minute it would shoot them fine then the next, I couldn't hit shit it with. I could never figure out why they did it. So I just shoot either the 180s or 175s now.