• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing NEW SIG SSG 3000 barrel

Sid Post

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 13, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma, USA
Who should I go to for alternate caliber barrels for the SSG 3000 I bought? I will be calling SIG SAUER for the 22LR kit on Monday but, I also want to go with a smaller centerfire caliber like a 6.5x55 or something similar (6.5 Creedmore or 6.5x47).

Thanks!
Sid

Re: NEW SIG SSG 3000 barrel

What USA based gunsmiths can make a new SIG SSG 3000 barrel? SIG ARMS USA hasn't been much help so, I'm trying to find a known gunsmith that can turn a barrel to fit my rifle.

TIA,
Sid

As far as I know the SIG SSG 300 has its barrel screwed into its action just like the Rem 700, AI AW Sako TRG and so on. So basically every gunsmith who can rebarrel a Rem 700 should be able to rebarrel a SIG SSG 3000. Only limitation could be that they use metric threads. But I impose thats as our lathes in Germany have the pitch for UN threads the US lathe have the pitch for metric threads. So I would just call a trusted gunsmith and discuss it with him. Or you could order a original SIG spare part, because they normally sell spare barrels, at least according to my catalog.
If you need any further information about metric threads you can ask back, normally I can help you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dan17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As far as I know the SIG SSG 300 has its barrel screwed into its action just like the Rem 700, AI AW Sako TRG and so on. So basically every gunsmith who can rebarrel a Rem 700 should be able to rebarrel a SIG SSG 3000. Only limitation could be that they use metric threads. But I impose thats as our lathes in Germany have the pitch for UN threads the US lathe have the pitch for metric threads. So I would just call a trusted gunsmith and discuss it with him. Or you could order a original SIG spare part, because they normally sell spare barrels, at least according to my catalog.
If you need any further information about metric threads you can ask back, normally I can help you.
</div></div>

if this were true i would own one, however the ssg 3000's barrel is a like a dta were the bolt locks into the barrel not the reciever. barrels can be swapped out in minutes. if i remember correctly there are a couple companies in the uk you can order barrels from and they will ship them over here.

I did a few of these in the past by simply cutting off the barrel about 10mm forward of the front of the reciever I then incorporated the new barrel into the part that locks into the action. A good smith should handle this easily.

New to the post as well as to my SSG 3000! I have made connection with a company in Denmark who makes the adapters but like you I am trying to avoid the silly waste of time and paperwork to get the part over here. Am wanting to shoot 6.5x47 through it so if you want connection to Denmark mail me for the info and maybe can consolidate an order. Problem is it comes pre-threaded in metric which some gunsmiths don't like to mess with. Can order American threads IF order is at least 20.