• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Spikes(?) Short Stroking ( The Full Story)

TigOlBitteez

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2011
Plain, WA
Just Purchased a new ST15 AR with Fail Zero BCG, it's a 16" Heavy Barrel Low Pro Gas block with a Spikes ST-T2 Heavy Buffer. Went out to shoot and it is short stroking for at least the first 70rds(I put it away because I had other guns to shoot and was a little pissed off). Came home Cleaned everything real good, lubed it real good, and went out again, same thing. Any ideas would be appreciated.

It's not the mags(Magpul)and I'm shooting 55gr. AM I just an impatient SOB and i need to break it in more?

Tonight I'm gonna do the upper/lower switcheroo with another gun and get a more accurate idea as to where the problem is originating.

What Else should I look for?

Re: New Spikes with Fail Zero Short Stroking

Try different ammo. My rifle short strokes with winchester 5.56 55g fmj, run something else through it and see how it goes.

Wolf short strokes as well.

If you have a different buffer you could try that too

yeah, I'm gonna try that tonight. I have some different ammo, but the BVAC .55gr works great in my SIG556 and Bushmaster, but I will try some different stuff.

While I run the ST-T2 buffer in several ARs, it CAN be too heavy for some ammo including some 55gr ball and lighter bullets/loads. If you have a standard carbine buffer (or even just an H-buffer) that you can swap out for the ST-T2, I would try that first because it is amazing how much different 1oz or less buffer weight can make in reliable functioning of an AR.

My feeling after the second time and more research was that it was the buffer or spring, or a combination of the two. I'll switch it with the bushy and see how it goes.

Okay, so I took it out yesterday.

Shot 4 different kinds of ammo.
Of the 4, only the Hornady 75gr Match was able to cycle, but the last round would not catch.
All others short stroked.

NEXT:

Switched Parts with a Bushmaster.

ST Upper/Bushy Lower: Short stroke
Bushy Upper/ST Lower: Cycled
ST Bolt in Bushy: Cycled
Bushy Bolt in ST: Short stroke
ST Buffer and Spring in Bushy: Cycled
Bushy(stock) buffer in ST: Fail to eject,and jammed a few bullets during cycling.

So my checklist:

Lower fine
Buffer, Spring and bolt fine
Upper not so much????

Anything else. I think I need to send it in.

Call and talk to Katie or one of the gals in CS and tell them about the issues you are having with your new Spike's rifle, the ammo you have tried, the other things you have tried, etc. They are a great bunch of folks and they will be more than happy to assist you any way that they can with your issues. If the gals in CS don't know or don't have any suggestions for you, they'll either put you in touch with someone there who will, or they'll advise you how to best go about getting your rifle in for inspection/testing/repair. Spike's is VERY serious about the warranty they offer with their complete rifles and they will absolutely make it right.

Sorry for your troubles, but I am sure they'll get you squared away.

Yeah, they are great, and I am not worried about their ability to fix the issue. That was one of the reasons I chose a Spikes. I just was trying to do everything i could to give them an idea, and maybe be able to fix it myself and get it working like the rest. I will give them a call right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TigOlBitteez</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, they are great, and I am not worried about their ability to fix the issue. That was one of the reasons I chose a Spikes. I just was trying to do everything i could to give them an idea, and maybe be able to fix it myself and get it working like the rest. I will give them a call right now. </div></div>

I'm interested to hear what the problem was once its sorted out. This is the first time I've heard of a Spike's rifle not being good to go out of the box. Mine just rolled over 1k rounds with no malfunctions even with wolf and light ball ammo.

I have quite a few other rifles, even ones I've built myself, and I have never had anything like this happen, but they do, and
I'll let everyone know how it goes.

I just got off the phone with Katie, and I wish other companies would act as professional and nice as the people at spikes. They are really impressive.

Okay, so i heard back from Spikes. The gun, which I purchased off Gunbroker from a company named Extreme Tactical based out of florida, was marked as a ST-15. A ST-15 is a complete Spikes rifle, this one on the other hand is a hybrid. The Upper Receiver, Barrel and Gas system are something else (bushmaster maybe?). The spikes stuff is the lower, bolt, rail, trigger group. I can't tell you how pissed I am about this.

Oh, and that short stroking problem? Yeah, that was because the gas port was too small!! Spikes put a new(larger) one on FREE of charge. Gun cycles fine now.

What would you do in my situation?

Pics for those who asked.

alnu60.jpg

You have every right to be pissed at the seller. Seems like false advertising and I think they owe you money for selling you an inferior upper that is supposed to be part of a complete Spike's gun. Very cool that Spike's helped you out with a problem that was not their fault, hell, not even their gear.

Good luck with dealing with the place you got it from. I have never dealt with something like this but if they won't work with you on it maybe you can go to the Better Business Bureau about it. Just an idea.