• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Steiner P4Xi V2 1-4x24

gnochi

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
May 6, 2019
Orange County, CA
SFP, MRAD reticle, MOA turrets. Fucking why?

Same package as the old one, hopefully keeping nuclear-bright illumination.

I don’t hate the reticle. I like the green illumination. Mixed MRAD/MOA is literally never the right answer.

EDIT: seems the description is wrong here; per Doug it’s MRAD/MRAD. No further objections.

Last edited:
Steiner says illumination is very bright. I'll have one in my hands next week, so I'll know more then.

ILya
SFP, MRAD reticle, MOA turrets. Fucking why?

Same package as the old one, hopefully keeping nuclear-bright illumination.

I don’t hate the reticle. I like the green illumination. Mixed MRAD/MOA is literally never the right answer.

ILya, I was about to pull the trigger on one of these when I saw it pop up. I like the reticle, and if it's a nuclear bright green I'm definitely interested. Looking forward to your assessment.

Do we know for sure it's MIL/MOA? I'm thinking it might be a typo.

It's too bad they're $799 now. I remember picking one up a few years ago for $400 brand new and came with a (not very nice) mount. Sold it to upgrade to a Razor but have wanted a P4Xi for a 300blk build but can't seem to swallow that new price tag.
A year ago, approx., there was a huge increase on the tariff for German optics. Now there's a huge increase in the price of containers for getting product over to the States.
I just returned from iCast (the fishing version of SHOT Show) and there are many companies instituting not only price increases but also freight surcharges to help offset the increase in shipping cost increases. So, not only are there backorder issues there's going to be increases in prices as well so it seems.

A year ago, approx., there was a huge increase on the tariff for German optics. Now there's a huge increase in the price of containers for getting product over to the States.
I just returned from iCast (the fishing version of SHOT Show) and there are many companies instituting not only price increases but also freight surcharges to help offset the increase in shipping cost increases. So, not only are there backorder issues there's going to be increases in prices as well so it seems.
Aren't these "made in America" though?

ILya, I was about to pull the trigger on one of these when I saw it pop up. I like the reticle, and if it's a nuclear bright green I'm definitely interested. Looking forward to your assessment.

Do we know for sure it's MIL/MOA? I'm thinking it might be a typo.

I think it is mil/mil. I'll know for sure next week.

I am going to spend a couple of days at CompExpo in Colorado and Burris guys will bring one for me to play with.

ILya

I am very interested. If I remember right the V1 was a BDC reticle? I think thats why i steered away. Now with a MRAD reticle this will be perfect for a 11" ar15

It's mrad, I had hands on time with this earlier in the year along with the MPS sight and CQT. The reticle is extremely bright and crisp, I personally prefer the red dot on the V1. But this is an awesome option for this who want the green illuminated reticle. All steiner optics are in mrad unless specifically noted on the item. All M series scopes are in mrad and only some of the lower end series even have the MOA options (at least for government dealers).

Reactions: gnochi
Thanks I'll send it up the flagpole, but if anyone has questions about anything steiner or wants something steiner, shoot me a PM and if I don't know the answer I can have it direct from the source pretty quickly.

Are we looking for a certain sku for one that includes a throw lever? V1 had separate skus iirc.

I love my TR24G, but may give one of these a try.

Last edited:
Rumor mills says its a T series instead of an M series this time to keep the price competitive with LPVOs like Vortex.

or going FFP this time?
One can only hope. 1-4, I can leave it on 4x any time it’s bright enough I’m going to be shooting. Much more than that and I will likely need to zoom out, and I would much prefer my subtensions are correct.

(Exception: I have a Leupold FireDot 1-6 on a Marlin 336, which doesn’t have enough effective range to care about a reticle. MPBR for life.)

I just stumbled across these V2's online today, and as a long time V1 owner I'm kind of bummed.

Still 1-4, really? No more stupid BDC, actual mil hashes like a real reticle, wait, what the fuck is with that diamond? Green, but no red, WTF? Locking diopter though, because that's what everyone was asking for. :rolleyes:

You suck Steiner, these could've been great, but instead I don't even need to see one in-person to know they already suck donkey balls and that you completely missed the mark.

You could have taken the V1, got rid of the gimmicky BDC, offered it in 1-6/1-8/1-10, nothing else, and would have had a winner.

@koshkin I don't even know why you would bother wasting any of your time and/or ammo to review that thing (unless they're paying you of course)... :p

I just stumbled across these V2's online today, and as a long time V1 owner I'm kind of bummed.

Still 1-4, really? No more stupid BDC, actual mil hashes like a real reticle, wait, what the fuck is with that diamond? Green, but no red, WTF? Locking diopter though, because that's what everyone was asking for. :rolleyes:

You suck Steiner, these could've been great, but instead I don't even need to see one in-person to know they already suck donkey balls and that you completely missed the mark.

You could have taken the V1, got rid of the gimmicky BDC, offered it in 1-6/1-8/1-10, nothing else, and would have had a winner.

@koshkin I don't even know why you would bother wasting any of your time and/or ammo to review that thing (unless they're paying you of course)... :p

I have never gotten paid for a review.

I do not mind a 1-4x24 if it is done well. They have their place and often have an advantage on 1x over higher erector ratio designs.

Given that the name if the product line is P4Xi, that kinda means 4x erector ratio.

Green only is a little odd, but a lot of people seem to like green illumination. I am sorta ambivalent if it is done well.

Since the reticle has an illuminated diamond, it can not be fiber dot illumination, so I am really curious how well the illumination is done. That is really the biggest reason I want to look at it. Traditionally, it was hard to get etch-and-fill illuminated designs bright enough. Some companies are getting it quite bright (Sig Tango t, for example), but not many. I am curious if Steiner pulled it off well.

As far as BDC reticles go, in LPVOs, they comfortably outsell all other reticle types (mrad, MOA, #4 and plex) combined. You may not like them, but most of the market seems to. I am not a BDC guy either, but I can't ignore reality.

As far as the diamond goes, I had a similar reticle in the old SWFA 1-4x24 and it worked quite nicely. I do not see why this one would not.

ILya

Reactions: CK1.0
@koshkin I was being sarcastic, I wasn't trying to insinuate a payola scheme or anything... sorry man.

That said, I enjoy the detail and knowledge you put into your reviews and hope there is some way these companies compensate you for your time and energy, not necessarily for favorable treatment.

I see, and agree with, many of your points.. still bummed at Steiner though.

Steiner revamping/refreshing/updating the P4XI sounded like a great idea to me, it's just the execution of it that irks me; they got so much right the first time around by keeping the design pragmatic versus gimmicky, and it's like they forgot that. The dot was daylight bright partly because it was just a dot, nothing too big or fancy to try and illuminate, it was only a 1-4 (when 1-6's where the new thing) but the glass was better than most, so it was fine, just simple things like that...

I actually like green dots (green illumination), I ran a Holosun 510C in green on a MPX for USPSA PCC for a season and it was fast as hell and jumped right out at me. But, every other type of dot or illuminated reticle I own or use is red, so due to familiarity/muscle-memory I'm stuck with red until everything else is available in green too. I'm not kidding either, I'm drinking the kool-aid, green>red and I think sooner or later it'll overtake red in popularity just like green has in visible laser tech. Consistency is important though, and since most other illuminated optics are red, it's still the de facto "Industry Standard" and Steiner should accommodate that reality.

What you said about BDC's being really popular makes perfect sense to me, I get it, because most gun owners are just gun owners, not real shooters, and don't know dick. Gimmicks sell product. But IMO the P4Xi got it's reputation mostly from guys who actually shoot, and at the time it first came out it wasn't as fancy as some and it's BDC was actually boring compared to the other LPVO's out at the same time with their horseshoes and circles and donuts of death, etc. And at ~$500ish, it was too pricey for the Primary Arms/Strike Eagle/Burris/Bushnell crowd (I only bought one because I was too cheap for a Razor at the time haha). But... the thing is, they addressed the reticle, someone at Steiner had the balls to grow up and move on to a real reticle... but then some joker (probably from marketing) was like "that bright-ass dot is too simple, how's about something cooler like a diamond or something?" haha.

Meh. It might be fine. Could've been a classic though IMO.

@koshkin I was being sarcastic, I wasn't trying to insinuate a payola scheme or anything... sorry man.

That said, I enjoy the detail and knowledge you put into your reviews and hope there is some way these companies compensate you for your time and energy, not necessarily for favorable treatment.

I see, and agree with, many of your points.. still bummed at Steiner though.

Steiner revamping/refreshing/updating the P4XI sounded like a great idea to me, it's just the execution of it that irks me; they got so much right the first time around by keeping the design pragmatic versus gimmicky, and it's like they forgot that. The dot was daylight bright partly because it was just a dot, nothing too big or fancy to try and illuminate, it was only a 1-4 (when 1-6's where the new thing) but the glass was better than most, so it was fine, just simple things like that...

I actually like green dots (green illumination), I ran a Holosun 510C in green on a MPX for USPSA PCC for a season and it was fast as hell and jumped right out at me. But, every other type of dot or illuminated reticle I own or use is red, so due to familiarity/muscle-memory I'm stuck with red until everything else is available in green too. I'm not kidding either, I'm drinking the kool-aid, green>red and I think sooner or later it'll overtake red in popularity just like green has in visible laser tech. Consistency is important though, and since most other illuminated optics are red, it's still the de facto "Industry Standard" and Steiner should accommodate that reality.

What you said about BDC's being really popular makes perfect sense to me, I get it, because most gun owners are just gun owners, not real shooters, and don't know dick. Gimmicks sell product. But IMO the P4Xi got it's reputation mostly from guys who actually shoot, and at the time it first came out it wasn't as fancy as some and it's BDC was actually boring compared to the other LPVO's out at the same time with their horseshoes and circles and donuts of death, etc. And at ~$500ish, it was too pricey for the Primary Arms/Strike Eagle/Burris/Bushnell crowd (I only bought one because I was too cheap for a Razor at the time haha). But... the thing is, they addressed the reticle, someone at Steiner had the balls to grow up and move on to a real reticle... but then some joker (probably from marketing) was like "that bright-ass dot is too simple, how's about something cooler like a diamond or something?" haha.

Meh. It might be fine. Could've been a classic though IMO.

I'll have my hands on it in a couple of days, so I will have a better idea of how it stacks up. My primary interest in low erector ratio variables is from the standpoint of excellent 1x performance and possibility of shrinking the designs to be a lot lighter, so I always keep an eye out for these. This latest P4Xi does not look to be an optiomechanical redesign, but what they did with the reticle is interesting.

ILya

They are pretty bright.
Mine was.
One of the best all around 1-4 optics on the market and likely the best for the money.

They are pretty bright.
Mine was.
One of the best all around 1-4 optics on the market and likely the best for the money.
That’s good to hear. Did you have the G1 reticle or PT3R reticle? Trying to decide which would be better.

Maybe I missed this, but what was your feedback on it?
I do have the score and I like it a good bit.

The illumination is probably a bit brighter on the older reticle, but the reticle overall works a little better for me on the G1. It is bright enough and I like that it is mrad based. It simplified the BDC function for me.
It has lived on a 458 SOCOM for a while with no issues.

ILya

Reactions: richthe1
I do have the score and I like it a good bit.

The illumination is probably a bit brighter on the older reticle, but the reticle overall works a little better for me on the G1. It is bright enough and I like that it is mrad based. It simplified the BDC function for me.
It has lived on a 458 SOCOM for a while with no issues.

ILya
What about 1x performance, you mentioned previously that’s where 1-4 designs have a chance to excel, I’m guessing the V2 is the same optical design as V1?

That’s good to hear. Did you have the G1 reticle or PT3R reticle? Trying to decide which would be better.
I've had the PT3R and the V2 examples.
I'll agree with ILya that the older reticle does seem brighter. These guys are some of the best 1-4 optical performers out there for the money. I keep getting wooed by higher mag scopes and keep going back to these for their price to performance ratio.