• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New 'stick' arrived!

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman
I wasn't sure whether this fit in Semi-auto, Beyond 1000 Yards or in Snipers Hide Vintage Sniper Rifles. But I figured it's Pre-WWII, it has an optic, and it shoots out to 4,000 yards, so it really kind of belongs here.

After 7 months of paperwork, my 1934 French Semi-Automatic Hotchkiss 25mm is home! Came from an estate less than a mile from my house... the guy (whose daughter I have known since we were kids) collected more than 20 live artillery pieces. This was the only one I could afford... His French 75 apparently sold for 6 figures! And the 40mm Bofors was unreal...

It's live, registered DD. Came out of Finland in the 1950's, though was originally French Army, captured by Germany then sold to the Finns during the Winter War against Russia. If it could talk... it would probably have some stories! The paint is Finnish blue.

It is called semi-automatic because it ejects the casing after firing. A good crew could shoot about 20 rounds a minute with one of these. It's classed as an anti-tank gun.

hotchkiss1.jpg

hotchkiss5.jpg

hotchkiss4.jpg

Just for comparison... from Left to Right. .223, .308, .50 BMG SLAP round, 25mm Hotchkiss round.

hotchkiss3.jpg

Now, if I can just find the right TAB Gear Sling, a Sphur Mount and USO glass, I'll be all set! Actually, what I really need are tires... anyone got a set of 1934 French Army tires that they don't need?

Cheers,

Sirhr

Re: New 'stick' arrived!

Excuse my "French", but Holy Shit, Dude!

That's really cool.

ETA: Range report?
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sirhrmechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If it could talk... it would probably have some stories! </div></div>

I'll bet it could, a whole history lesson in itself.
That is awesome!!!!

You're my hero. Holy shit.....How much does 1 round cost?

WOW!! Just wish we could get to play with this stuff over here!!

You'd need to join up or work in a collection/museum just to get a sniff of this sort of tool!

I've seen old 88mm's sat in fields as part of small collections in Normandy just rusting away....makes you cry! Just want to hitch them up and take them home.

PS...it's not really a "stick"....more like a small log!!
wink.gif

Oh my sweet baby Jesus. That thing is awesome. I'm immensely jealous. And I agree that thing is more of a log.

quite the conversation piece with a couple of beers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">quite the conversation piece with a couple of beers. </div></div>

+1

Really nice! I wish I could afford something like that!! From the picts it looks like the main pivot mounting bracket and bolts are missing on the right side, or I just cant tell. The hydraulic fluid and seals might need replacing as well a few other basic maintenance things.

ETA on range report... after I strip down the hydraulics and rebuilt. Seals are marginal. Probably when the snow is gone, it will be ready go shoot.

Rounds are readily available, but run about $95 each. I have a friend who reloads for 37mm and 40mm, so we're getting some dies turned up for the 25mm. There is a guy on the Smith and Wesson Forum who reloads for Hotchkiss and shows the process.

Big problem is primers (but you modify the primer cups for .50 BMG primers) and powder. But a new powder is now available.

It came with a few rounds. Looking forward to letting a few off!

I have those brackets. They were with it. Thanks, frankthefly

Cheers,

Sirhr

Make a .50BMG sub calibre barrel for it and have fun :)

Wait, since its French, does that means it was advertized as "never been fired" or "only dropped once"?

Its apparent you do not live within the state of New York I reckon. haha

@jpmuscle... no, not NY. Far leftier than that, but at least gun friendly.

For scope... the original L.711 French scope is made of unobtanium. I am scouring France now (via Google) but it's not looking good.

In the interim, I'll adapt a US Recoiless rifle scope with some rings. The reticle is similar.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Dude seeing that large round you made me giggle like a school girl!

Very nice piece of history and seems to be in pretty good shape for its age.
Have you had an chance to look in the bore yet?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wildcats</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Have you had an chance to look in the bore yet?</div></div>

Thanks. Bore is absolutely mint. Swabbed it out over the weekend and it's perfect. That was a concern, though the seller's paperwork (he prepared all the details before he passed on) said it was outstanding. He wasn't kidding.

The first big challenge is that the tires are solids... and hard as a rock. Getting them off is going to be interesting. I'll post some pictures as I start working on it.

Cheers,

Sirhr

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sirhrmechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The first big challenge is that the tires are solids... and hard as a rock. Getting them off is going to be interesting. I'll post some pictures as I start working on it.

Cheers,

Sirhr </div></div>

Boiling water. Get a 55gal drum full of boiling water and toss those things in it and keep it hot. It will soften the rubber up enough to pry them off, done the same thing with rock solid tractor tires just fine. You just have to make sure to dry and oil the metal really really well afterwards.

That is awesome! Only $2000 a minute(of fun) when you get your crew trained up!
The 50 bmg sub-cal barrel is a great idea. You could probably build one for the cost of 4 shells.

do you mind telling what something like that goes for.... i think i just came in my underwear......WOW THAT'S COOL.....i must have one!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldolds442</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do you mind telling what something like that goes for.... </div></div>

More than I can afford. But I knew the family and was able to buy one piece for a bargain.

Cheers,

Sirhr

That's true, I didn't even think of the paint issue. You *could* soak towels and stuff in the boiling water and wrap them around the rubber alone, it would take a lot longer and you'd have to change the towels a lot but it should be safe on the paint.

That is an absolutely awesome gun though, I'm jealous, you better post a video your first time shooting it :p

that thing is increadable and only a 4 month wait? suppressor paper work can take longer then that. Nice find i x2 on the video

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertrat1979</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wait, since its French, does that means it was advertized as "never been fired" or "only dropped once"? </div></div>

Now that was funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How far can that thing shoot? I'm just thinking... it's hard for me to find real estate around my area to shoot rifles.