• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New stock better than Rem 5R stock, similar cost

Clicky762

Private
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2009
Long story short, a gunsmith damaged the factory stock of my Rem 5R milspec while he was working on it. This was a result of poor communication and not his skills, but nonetheless he has agreed to replace the stock. That's fine by me, but unfortunately he is having trouble locating this exact stock, which I believe is made by HS Precision.

I'm asking myself whether I should wait for him to find the right stock, or if I should request a stock in the same price range +/- a few bucks to slightly upgrade. I like the general shape of the original stock and would like something relatively similar. I also have an adjustable cheek rest to install, so I wont need one already incorporated in the stock. Any suggestions?

Also, anyone know the cost of a new stock that comes on a rem 5R milspec? (I see take offs for ~$200, but haven't located a price for a brand new one)

Thanks guys!

Re: New stock better than Rem 5R stock, similar cost

i believe the stock on the 5R is the PSV002 (i could be wrong).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clicky762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Long story short, a gunsmith damaged the factory stock of my Rem 5R milspec while he was working on it. This was a result of poor communication and not his skills, but nonetheless he has agreed to replace the stock. That's fine by me, but unfortunately he is having trouble locating this exact stock, which I believe is made by HS Precision.

I'm asking myself whether I should wait for him to find the right stock, or if I should request a stock in the same price range +/- a few bucks to slightly upgrade. I like the general shape of the original stock and would like something relatively similar. I also have an adjustable cheek rest to install, so I wont need one already incorporated in the stock. Any suggestions?

Also, anyone know the cost of a new stock that comes on a rem 5R milspec? (I see take offs for ~$200, but haven't located a price for a brand new one)

Thanks guys!

</div></div>

Try here:

Stockey's Stocks

The PST008 is the one that comes on the 5R

The stock that comes on a 5R is the H-S Precision PSV096.

I replaced my factory stock with a black one from Stockey's, had them both side-by-side, and this is definitely the correct model.

Only difference is the factory stock says "Remington" vs. "H-S Precision" on the recoil pad.

Cost is $299 + shipping.

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-372/Sendaro-Remington-700-HS/Detail

DSCN0197.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chaser_2332</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's wrong with a takeoff? </div></div>

Nothing is wrong with a takeoff. I am not the one buying it, the gunsmith is. I don't know if he wants to go through a classified ad and would prefer one of his an authorized vendors.

Did some quick searching, and want to know if anyone has any experience with a Bell&Carlson stock like the one shown here?

B&C stock from Brownells

Basically the same price, but I get the added benefit of the stock hook. How would the bedding compare to the HS Precision? I have 0 experience with swapping stocks.

I have this one from bell and carlson
http://redhawkrifles.com/products/stocks/bellcarlson/varmintstocks

It has the full aluminum bedding as stated. I really like it. It has a decelearator recoil pad. It makes recoil very managable. I have one on a .308 and another one on a .300 win mag. To switch it out, you only take the two screws out and changed the stock. That easy. I hope this helps.

What about thoughts on this one?

HS PST 035

I think this one is nearly identical except for the lower contour of the butt. The grip looks longer, which I'd prefer. My concern is the top contour. It looks higher, like it would interfere with my cleaning rod + Lucas bore guide. Does anyone have this stock to measure the height of the butt in comparison to the bore axis?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clicky762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about thoughts on this one?

HS PST 035

I think this one is nearly identical except for the lower contour of the butt. The grip looks longer, which I'd prefer. My concern is the top contour. It looks higher, like it would interfere with my cleaning rod + Lucas bore guide. Does anyone have this stock to measure the height of the butt in comparison to the bore axis? </div></div> I have that one on one of my rifles and I like it quite a bit. No worries with a cleaning rod, there is plenty of clearance. The grip is a bit longer and at a slightly different angle but it still has the palm swell. It uses the same bedding block as the 5R version. Brownells offers the same stock. Don't buy one from Stocky's unless they have the one you want in stock.

I bought a 5r take off for my SPS Tactical for $200 shipped. Just my opinion gut here is the ranking
1. McMillian
2. Manners
3. HS Precision
4. B&C

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clicky762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about thoughts on this one?

HS PST 035

I think this one is nearly identical except for the lower contour of the butt. The grip looks longer, which I'd prefer. My concern is the top contour. It looks higher, like it would interfere with my cleaning rod + Lucas bore guide. Does anyone have this stock to measure the height of the butt in comparison to the bore axis? </div></div> I have that one on one of my rifles and I like it quite a bit. No worries with a cleaning rod, there is plenty of clearance. The grip is a bit longer and at a slightly different angle but it still has the palm swell. It uses the same bedding block as the 5R version. Brownells offers the same stock. Don't buy one from Stocky's unless they have the one you want in stock. </div></div>

Thanks for the post! You vouching for it gives me a good deal of confidence. Would you mind throwing a tape up to it to measure the clearance for the cleaning rod? Better yet putting a cleaning rod partway down the barrel and sending me a pic? [email protected] I'm worried that my bore guide won't clear, which is about 1" diameter.

manners stocks there great and tom is a super good guy

My bore guide is the same diameter as my bolt and it fits in there no problem. The cleaning rod is 3/4" above the cheekpiece. I assure you 100% no issues with cleaning. I will send you a pic tomorrow.

Clicky, teh stock you're referring to looks like the B&C A3 style. I believe their model# is 2956.

A lot of folks rate B&C pretty low on the selection list, but I have used several of them and find them to be of comparable quality to HS. some of their models are a little heavier than HS, so from a weight perspective, it's your choice. HS are generally hollow in the butt.

The palm swell on the HS is a little larger, so if you have large hands, you may prefer that.

Well, I decided that I wanted to go with the PST 035 in olive green with black webbing. I called my gun smith to discuss the issue and he informed that since he couldn't find a direct replacement stock, he ordered a new 5R milspec and will pull the stock off of it for me. That's initially exactly what I wanted, but after shopping around, I think my ultimate goal is the PST 035.

I'd have to sell my 5R stock, but don't believe I can sell things here due to my low post count. I'm just getting into precision rifles and although I've read hundreds of threads over the past 2 years and learned from them, I haven't posted that much. Do y'all think the stock would move on gunbroker or could you suggest another site to sell it?