• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Stock/Chassis for Montana Rifle Company 1999 Action Rifles

Quick1

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2020
VA
I know it may be a long shot, but figured I would ask. I have two Montana Rifle Company rifles (300 WM and 270 Win) which I really like. I know there were some negative issues with these rifles in the later years, but I got two good ones with very smooth actions and very accurate. As stated, love the rifles, but not a fan of the original stocks. Had to add a after market cheek riser for good scope alignment and just not happy with the feel. I would prefer something more modern like a stock or chassis with an aluminum bedding system and an adjustable cheek riser.

Much internet searching has not produced any viable options, so checking here to see if anyone has any recommendations.

Thanks

manners chassis , krg , mdt , mpa , wooks and many many others make fine stocks or chassis you might be able to drop your action into . personally I am not a fan of composite to me most feel like cheap plastic , and finding a really good wood stock isn't all that easy anymore , metal while cold isn't that bad it's not wood but what is and who wants to pay tens of thousands of dollars just for a unique wood master piece . you just have to decide what you like and the level of pain you can live with also what you wanna do with it . best of luck with what ever you decide to get send back pics .

manners chassis , krg , mdt , mpa , wooks and many many others make fine stocks or chassis you might be able to drop your action into . personally I am not a fan of composite to me most feel like cheap plastic , and finding a really good wood stock isn't all that easy anymore , metal while cold isn't that bad it's not wood but what is and who wants to pay tens of thousands of dollars just for a unique wood master piece . you just have to decide what you like and the level of pain you can live with also what you wanna do with it . best of luck with what ever you decide to get send back pics .
Thanks, but unfortunately none of those companies offer a option that I could find. I have checked all those and they show no offerings for the MRC 1999 action, it is not common. Maybe I will need to make some calls to see if they have something not showing. These are hunting rifles so weight is a consideration, but I am not looking for the lightest thing going...also don' want to carry a 15lbs gun.

Also, forgot to add, I know the MRC 1999 is based off the Model 98 Mauser and the pre-64 Model 70 Winchester style actions, but I am not smart enough to know which footprint stock/chassis it would fit in? Anyone anyone definitively know if the MRC 1999 long action would fit in a stock made for the M70?

Montana Rifle Company is supposed to start up business again this year, it will be nice to be able to actually call them and ask this stuff.

Thanks

Reactions: acudaowner
Call mesa precision and ask about their altitude stock. Seems like they could probably do the milling to get it to work. My favorite stock

Call mesa precision and ask about their altitude stock. Seems like they could probably do the milling to get it to work. My favorite stock
Nice looking, will give them a call tomorrow. Thanks

MDT does have the ESS inletted for Win 70 but only short actions. Choate makes some but they are somewhat behind the times. LRI would be my first choice if I had to send one off for custom inletting.
Let us know what you find, there’s quite a few of us wishing there weee more options available.

I would be a second vote for Oregunsmithing. He does a beautiful drop in for the Howa Mini 1500. I’m looking at seeing if he can do a Remington 660.

Thanks guys, left a message with Wayne at Orefunsmithing. I also called MDT and they stated they had nothing compatible.

Thanks for the inputs, keep'em coming!