• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Tikka T3X TAC A1 advise

MaineShooter

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2020
Good evening, I am new to this site and just received my new TAC A1 in 5.6 CM. I would like to hear from other owners of this rifle about their preference for a scope and mounts. I have down a lot of research but can’t find one place that has a lot of owners of this with an opinion. What do you have on yours and do you like it?
Thanks

Good evening, I am new to this site and just received my new TAC A1 in 5.6 CM. I would like to hear from other owners of this rifle about their preference for a scope and mounts. I have down a lot of research but can’t find one place that has a lot of owners of this with an opinion. What do you have on yours and do you like it?
Thanks

correction; I type faster then mg brain and transposed numbers. 6.5 CM

I have been at a few long range target shooting events and want to eventually get involved. However, I am planning to take it on a hung in May. Long range stalking and shooting Axis deer. Ranges between 500 - 800 yards.

Just getting mine set-up, I will run a Kahles K525i with MSR2 reticle in a Spuhr ISMS mount (SP-4902).

I like the MDT elite rings on my Tikka.

I recently bought the same rifle, same caliber 24” & put a Vortex Razor HD Gen 2 4.5-27 EBR-2 reticle. Vortex cantilever mount. It’s what I had available at the moment. Probably more scope power than needed, but my goal is 500-1000 yard shooting.

Mine is purely paper-punching, so the weight of the rifle & scope isn’t an issue re: hunting. No time with work to shoot yet, so i cannot comment on my set-up.

Reactions: Billiam1211
Depends what you plan to use the rifle for. My Tac A1 has a Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5-27x with one of the Seekins made Vortex 20 MOA mounts. It's been solid for PRS style matches. I also see lots of guys with ARC rings and Spuhr mounts.

I have same rifle. I love it! I have my Vortex Razor PST Gen 1 in a Spuhr one piece mount. Primary purpose is steel and paper for now. APA LB on the muzzle.

I had this rifle, same caliber, for about a year and a half; sold it only because I had an opportunity to pick up a custom at an excellent price. The TAC A1 is an excellent factory rifle in terms of accuracy and function.

Wrt optic/rings: a stalking hunt, where you're carrying gear for a long way, would seem to lead you toward something lighter than a TAC A1 to start with... and you don't mention a budget. I had a Vortex Razor Gen-1 5-20 in Vortex PMR rings on mine. While chunky, the Gen-1 Razors are not as heavy as the 3-pound Gen-2s (I have two of the latter, but both are on rifles that get carried around on carts).

You might consider the Vortex Viper PST Gen-2 5-25x50, which is quite a bit lighter than the 4.5-27x56 Razor. I have that Viper on my Tikka T3x Varmint .223 which in turn resides in an MDT LSS-XL chassis, so the overall weight is in the ballpark of your TAC A1. I suggest Vortex scopes because that's what I'm familiar with. Overall, if you have a reticle you like at your price point, go with it.

Whatever optic you use, mount it in rings, not in a one-piece mount. I've been happy with, again, the Vortex PMR rings made by Seekins.

Here's mine in 6.5 creedmoor. Cerakoted in midnight bronze. She's wearing a Vortex AMG scope with Fab Defense unimount rings.

Attachments

• 20190706_221051.jpg
    20190706_221051.jpg
    545.5 KB · Views: 2,932
Reactions: Billiam1211
[QUOTE="Whatever optic you use, mount it in rings, not in a one-piece mount. I've been happy with, again, the Vortex PMR rings made by Seekins.
[/QUOTE]

I'm curious why you don't recommend 1 piece mounts?

Whatever optic you use, mount it in rings, not in a one-piece mount. I've been happy with, again, the Vortex PMR rings made by Seekins.

When I got my TAC A1 - my first bolt-action precision rifle - I too ordered a one-piece Burris mount for the first-gen Vortex Razor I was putting on it, because that's what I'd purchased with a DMR-variant AR I had earlier. It worked... so I stayed with the familiar.

I took the TAC A1, optic, and mount to be mounted by a very well-known and well-respected gunsmith who's been a friend of mine for decades. I was on new ground, so I wanted to learn the right way to mount the optic. Using two of his rifles for demonstration, he showed me how the rings could be set relatively far apart at optimal positions on the scope and rail, while the one-piece mount's narrow ring spacing put the rings very close to the turret housing. He asked me if I thought the narrowly-spaced rings on the high one-piece mount, with that mount's relatively small-sized "connection" between optic and rail, would be as solid as the more substantial separate rings attaching the optic to the rail at two more widely-spaced points.

It took about two minutes for him to demonstrate to me that one-piece mounts are not optimal on a precision bolt gun. Separate rings simply provide a more solid, substantial foundation. Will a one-piece mount work? Sure. You can put cheap tires on your car and they'll get you down the road, but if you want optimal performance out of a car intended for performance driving, wouldn't you want tires equal to the rest of the platform?

My $0.02.

[QUOTE="
My $0.02.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your input. I was just curious and I understand your gunsmith's opinion on the matter. I'm a unimount fan but it also has to be quality top tier mounts from companies like Spuhr, Eratac, Masterpiece Arms, Scalar, Fab Defense and Really Right Stuff. Coming from the PRS world you don't see many of us running 2 piece ring setups anymore too.

Reactions: DownhillFromHere
Coming from the PRS world you don't see many of us running 2 piece ring setups anymore too.
Interesting. Honestly, I haven't paid much attention to mounts used at the PRS matches I attended last year. Using my analogy about cars, it could be turned around... why put track tires on an Accord? The most common 6mm through .30-cal PRS calibers aren't going to hammer a well-engineered one-piece mount enough to matter at all. On the other hand, when a guy who held a 1000-yard world record talks to a newbie, a wise newbie listens. I'm not so new anymore... but two-piece rings are solid and have worked, so I use them.

Cheers. Be safe.

I run a one piece mount on my rifle because it has a 20 moa cant and my premier Light tactical scope has limited travel. Never had a problem works like it should but I acknowledge your point . A lot of good info just find what works for you.

When I got my TAC A1 - my first bolt-action precision rifle - I too ordered a one-piece Burris mount for the first-gen Vortex Razor I was putting on it, because that's what I'd purchased with a DMR-variant AR I had earlier. It worked... so I stayed with the familiar.

I took the TAC A1, optic, and mount to be mounted by a very well-known and well-respected gunsmith who's been a friend of mine for decades. I was on new ground, so I wanted to learn the right way to mount the optic. Using two of his rifles for demonstration, he showed me how the rings could be set relatively far apart at optimal positions on the scope and rail, while the one-piece mount's narrow ring spacing put the rings very close to the turret housing. He asked me if I thought the narrowly-spaced rings on the high one-piece mount, with that mount's relatively small-sized "connection" between optic and rail, would be as solid as the more substantial separate rings attaching the optic to the rail at two more widely-spaced points.

It took about two minutes for him to demonstrate to me that one-piece mounts are not optimal on a precision bolt gun. Separate rings simply provide a more solid, substantial foundation. Will a one-piece mount work? Sure. You can put cheap tires on your car and they'll get you down the road, but if you want optimal performance out of a car intended for performance driving, wouldn't you want tires equal to the rest of the platform?

My $0.02.

Somewhat right, but overall a wrong statement/assement

I have rings and I have been happy with them on my TL3. I like the rings so I have slots for my data board and level.

Mounts are nice is you need MOA or are pulling the scope frequently. If I had only $100 I’d get PMR from seekins or Vortex, if budget allows go get a mount from MPA Sphur or another top tier vendor.

Here's mine in 6.5 creedmoor. Cerakoted in midnight bronze. She's wearing a Vortex AMG scope with Fab Defense unimount rings.
That color is sick, if the factory FDE is anything close I could see it being a big seller.

Just an FYI, with the tikka long top rail you are stuck with a 1 piece mount if you want a canted base. You most likely will want a 1.5”+ mount for a 50/56 mm objective and To compensate for cant with sunshade.

1.5" Burris XTR Signature Rings have worked great with my .308. 34mm with my Athlon Midas Tac 5-25 at the moment.

Reactions: Seymour Fish
That color is sick, if the factory FDE is anything close I could see it being a big seller.

The factory FDE is just FDE. I had my local guy custom cerakote it so mine is slightly more "unique". Was tired of seeing the usual black, FDE, OD etc. :)

I run a Spuhr one piece mount on my TacA1. I needed/wanted the 20 MOA option and Spuhr was the way to go at that point in time. Really nice mount but when I torque the scope rings, it rotates the scope clockwise. So I have to account for that while leveling. I'm following the pattern numbered out by Spuhr and first snug then torque. It's a real PIA because you have to "feel" it out to get it perfectly level. If I'm doing it wrong, PLEASE someone tell me.

The only Spuhr pic mounts I have installed is their 4 screw hunting uni mount, and their separate 4 screw rings, both installed fine.

Last edited:
I run a Spuhr one piece mount on my TacA1. I needed/wanted the 20 MOA option and Spuhr was the way to go at that point in time. Really nice mount but when I torque the scope rings, it rotates the scope clockwise. So I have to account for that while leveling. I'm following the pattern numbered out by Spuhr and first snug then torque. It's a real PIA because you have to "feel" it out to get it perfectly level. If I'm doing it wrong, PLEASE someone tell me.

1-make sure you are slightly tightening each screw in alternating sides (I use 1/2-3/4 turn at a time) I also used a small application of pitch to the bottom half of the mount.

2-use the leveling wedge to maintain alignment while tightening the screws.

best of luck with the mount. I use the Spuhr mount and for me it was about the easiest scope mounting I’ve ever done.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
That's why you go with ARC instead of Spuhr. American exceptionalism.
I just picked up a Tac A1 in 260 Rem a few weeks ago. I got the 30 MOA American Defense scope mount. I don't like the look of cant. style mounts on a bolt gun and have had really good luck with AD mounts in the past. Tikka really needs to go to a 20 MOA base for these guns. I don't really agree with the wide 2 piece rings over the single setup, but in my opinion they both work fine. All that holds the scope is the rings and the contact point of the rings to the scope, and a 1 piece style of the American defense and the rings like it have a larger contact patch with the rail. With that said std rings work just fine and I would have used them if it came with a 20 MOA from the factory.