• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to AK47s and want to learn

How does one take a 4 MOA round and turn it into a 1 MOA round?
By putting waaayyyy too much money, time and barrels, finding what shoots best out of a inferior rifle that was never made for accuracy other than “Hit man at X distance”, but its fun fighting with them, making it do what you want it to. Is it a waste of money? Not to me, others may say it is depending on if they have other hobbies/family/bills etc

Saiga 74 with barrel #4 (1:8.25 twist) with 7N6 and 70gr Barnual was giving me 2.5-3.5 moa with a Trijicon 1-8 and Zentico side mount, when I introduced SureShot Mk3 Chassis, it went to right around 1.6-2.2moa. Then finally Hornady came out with brass, made a world of difference can run heavier 77gr all the way down to 45gr in a sizer die.
Once this barrels torched or I get bored again, its getting a gain twist blank, been wanting to test one of those out.

Reactions: GUNNER10 and Bakwa
How does one take a 4 MOA round and turn it into a 1 MOA round?
Not 7.62x39, however, I pulled bullets from m855, ran the powder filled cases through a bushing die to resize the necks, and seated match bullets. That shrunk 10 shot groups from a nominal ~4 moa to ~1-1.5 moa.

That was back when powder and primers were really only readily available in- the only somewhat easier to find- loaded ammunition.

By putting waaayyyy too much money, time and barrels, finding what shoots best out of a inferior rifle that was never made for accuracy other than “Hit man at X distance”, but its fun fighting with them, making it do what you want it to. Is it a waste of money? Not to me, others may say it is depending on if they have other hobbies/family/bills etc

Saiga 74 with barrel #4 (1:8.25 twist) with 7N6 and 70gr Barnual was giving me 2.5-3.5 moa with a Trijicon 1-8 and Zentico side mount, when I introduced SureShot Mk3 Chassis, it went to right around 1.6-2.2moa. Then finally Hornady came out with brass, made a world of difference can run heavier 77gr all the way down to 45gr in a sizer die.
Once this barrels torched or I get bored again, its getting a gain twist blank, been wanting to test one of those out.
I haven't yet gone done that AK path, but I wonder how much of the AK's reputation for poor accuracy is more a function of poor ammo availability.

Has anybody taken a decent mid grade, 556 AK and did and shot some groups with black hills or FGGM? Nato Galil's and Swiss Arms 55X series don't have the same reputation.

I haven't yet gone done that AK path, but I wonder how much of the AK's reputation for poor accuracy is more a function of poor ammo availability.

Has anybody taken a decent mid grade, 556 AK and did and shot some groups with black hills or FGGM? Nato Galil's and Swiss Arms 55X series don't have the same reputation.
Realistically, I've had VEPR's, SAM's, & WBP's shoot consistent sub 2 MOA (some hovering closer to 1MOA) with Golden Tiger and one of the Russian Bear ammunitions (Golden, Brown, Silver, can't remember which one).
It's similar enough to any other weapon platform, good ammo + good barrel = better groups, on average. An AK will never shoot like an AR, but there are plenty of examples of AK's shooting decent enough in the wild to show that it's not expressly a design issue.

All said, I would not buy an AK of any kind and think that I have a precision instrument.

Reactions: Mudburner
Has anybody taken a decent mid grade, 556 AK and did and shot some groups with black hills or FGMM.
Buddy of mine is real big into AK life, custom makes handguard hardware to free float barrels, handloads ammo, excessive stickers for maximum horsepower, all the stuff.
Shoots competitively almost exclusively with AK platform guns and puts more rounds through them than any larper or trash shooter. I think when I asked him he told me 2 moa from his main match rifle was a really good day.
FB_IMG_1709992633167.jpg
FB_IMG_1709992886817.jpg
FB_IMG_1709992937104.jpg

Reactions: GUNNER10
Buddy of mine is real big into AK life, custom makes handguard hardware to free float barrels, handloads ammo, excessive stickers for maximum horsepower, all the stuff.
Shoots competitively almost exclusively with AK platform guns and puts more rounds through them than any larper or trash shooter. I think when I asked him he told me 2 moa from his main match rifle was a really good day.
View attachment 8368420View attachment 8368421View attachment 8368422
Was he at AK Masters last year?

i’m was a casual AK fan mostly due to cheap ammo and the rifles are like a hammer but i knew a guy that welded a 74 bugly kit together instead of rivets.

that was the most accurate 545 rifle i had ever shot. figured it was just due to less wiggle….have you even seen those super slo-mo vids of AK’s being shot? holy fuck they are loose.

had a 762 with a scope on a side mount that i couldnt get below 4” at 100 but that cheap foreign ammo doesnt help.

Was he at AK Masters last year?
I don't think so, but I haven't seen him in a bit. He runs the Thunder on the Tundra AK match in WI as well as some club level matches, I think match directing burnt him out on the match shooting, as it tends to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bakwa
View attachment 8368420View attachment 8368421View attachment 8368422
AK and Remington shotguns at the same time? Your friend hates himself.

Some good responses in here, if I had to pick 1 to recommend for 1st AK, brand new, right now, as a heavy use shooter (no safe queen).. it would be a WBP.

Atlantic or AOA have you covered.

Reactions: Bakwa