• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

new to AR-15 and have a question

HN7

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2010
KY, USA
First of all, I would like to say that I'm a complete noob when it come to AR style rifle (only own 2 bolt action, never had or handle an AR) so please go easy on me if I'm asking a stupid question here.
I want to have a semi as a "fun time" gun but fund is a little low right now. Would it be a good idea to get a AR-15 lower and the 22. conversion kit to practice first, then get the upper later on (when I save enough money to do so)?
Thanks.

Re: new to AR-15 and have a question

You can get a lower to use with most anything. But a .22 conversion kit is special bolt carrier group that one places into an existing .223/5.56 upper. Maybe you are thinking of a dedicated factory .22 upper. That would save you on ammo money and maybe slightly more accurate than a drop .22 conversion unit. Then you could eventally pick up a 5.56 upper of your choice when your monies are right.

Nvm...Tbag beat me by 34 seconds
smile.gif

Yes, you're right. I meant a .22 dedicated (complete upper).

Dedicated 22's are nice and have their place in the ar line up. That said you can pick up a 5.56 upper pretty cheap these day's and then top it off with a conversion unit maybe a better route to take in the long run. At todays price you are not going to spend too much more than for that dedicated 22 upper for which you are stuck to shooting just 22's.

Something to think about.

Thanks for your help guys. Made my decision, will get a lower and a dedicated .22 for now. I'll wait and get a real nice 5.56 upper later down the road.

Get yourself some black dog mags and away you go. So which 22 upper are you pondering?

I like the Spikes tactical dedicated .22lr upper. you won't be dissapointed with any of their products

I'm getting RRA lower. Not sure yet about the .22 upper. Can you recommend some good one? I just need something reliable that I can plink with.

Oh boy which one is always the twenty dollar question. Seems alot of decent reports on the Spikes and Tactical Solutions. That said CMMG came out with one, S&W may have come out with one too if I recall correctly.

Do know my Tact Sol was very accurate when I owned one, but I decided to go the conversion route as all I did truly was plinking.

TacSol calls their complete upper a "conversion", so this may be the source of the OP's mild error.

He needs to seriously consider CMMG's Quebec-A dedicated .22 rifle.
It's a complete milspec .22 built on a complete milspec lower. That means it's only an upper swap shy of being centerfire.
Best of all, it's only $549.

I'm a strong advocate of the .22ARs for low cost training and plinking. They can be shot where centerfire calibers aren't permitted, like many indoor ranges, an important consideration in some cold places.
See my magnum post below.

Bear in mind that the S&W .22 isn't milspec, you can't put a centerfire upper on the lower, nor are the Colt, HK, or Sig guns compatible with centerfire AR15 uppers.

Since you HAVE decided on a milspec lower, consider CMMG's dedicated uppers, from $350.

This was a few weeks ago in response to a question about rimfirec tactical carbines, and I hope you'll find some helpful comments.

Here's my not too humble opinion.

I've been fooling around with .22 AR for several years, 6 or 7 maybe, after getting my Clark Gator (IPSC gun) . All the other kids had carbines and had been to Thunder Ranch.

I got a Ciener kit early and played around with it, and DPMS came out with their dedicated bull and M-4 (ban compliant) uppers, so I got an M-4. Ran that for a few years, made it work with the JP trigger in the Gator.

AWB sunsetted in '96 was it? or '94?, and I got to looking at the DPMS vs Ciener bolts, and decided the Ciener could be made to run with the DPMS barrel and newly re-available Ciener 30rd mags.

Somewhere in there I got a Kuehl Precision 20" A-3 dedicated upper. This was before Atchisson collars, which I believe Rick Kuehl developed (although that's how the DPMS dedicated set up worked, too).

Saw a article in On Target, a throwaway magazine at the gun shop I hang out at, about the Model 1 Sales dedicated upper and eventually got one of them. Actually, when I got that, interest in .22 conversions and dedicated uppers was exploding, so to avoid a 2-3 month wait, I ordered it without a bolt, just a collar, so I could put it in immediate service with the well broken in Ciener bolt I bought for the Gator. This was just after Kevin Rich started making the 30rd skinny mags, and was just developing the full body 27s, before the LSBHO follower. This was built on a 9MM upper, with M1S heavy CAR barrel.

A while later, Spike's Tactical started up the ST-22 program, and I got a 16" heavy CAR Lothar Walther.

Finally, about a year and a half ago, I decided I needed a REALLY accurate AR22 and sent some money to Frank White at Compass Lake Engineering for an 18" SPR barrel (M-261bolt, 'cause that's how Frank builds them).

Along the way, I've had the opportunity to shoot a few S&W M&P 15-22s.

Recently I picked up a (barely, like maybe just sighted in with a BSA red dot) used Sig 522 standard.

So, having established whatever bona fides the above gets me, here's what I have to say:

If you have an AR centerfire gun, and the .22 is going to be pretty exclusively for you, you will be best served with a dedicated .22 upper in a configuration of your choice. As a hard core trainer, you can make it EXACTLY like your centerfire gun.
The best deal at present (or the near future) will be a CMMG dedicated upper.
CMMG's complete rifle gets right into the Sig/Colt./S&W price zone, it's milspec, it's a damneded STEAL. No, I've never laid eyes or fingers on one, but the cenrterfire stuff is solid, the conversions run, and I wouldn't hesitate to drop my own coin on one.
No experience with the ATI?/Chiappa? $325 upper, but it looks like it should run.
A dedicated upper from Spike's Tactical is excellent; my LW shoots about 1/2" @50yd with excellent reliability.
Model 1 Sales, ditto
TacSol, I haven't shot, but the reputation is good for service, accuracy, and reliability.
Ballistic Advantage builds old school and modern uppers on premium barrels and uses Spike's bolts. No experience, but I wouldn't hesitate.
If you want a Service Rifle upper that can put 'em all in the same hole, Compass Lake is the place. $1100/upper.

If you just HAVE to have a complete separate gun, and have no requirement for a milspec configuration, the choice in my mind boils down to only two choices: S&W vs Sig.
If a smaller shooter will share, S&W's gun is lightweight and functions EXACTLY like a centerfire AR: selector, mag catch activation, take down, you name it. Milspec TRIGGER, so you can drop that Giessele right in there. Shoots great. A little flexy, so one hole @50 yd isn't likely, but it's up to training, plinking, light target duty.

The Sig 522 has an extruded aluminum upper receiver joined to a polymer lower. The BDM mags (same as the Atchisson compatible milspec uppers and the KelTec .22) have the LSBHO followers, but no true locks open when empty capability, just like all the others except the S&W up until now. Comes without sights. I only have a few hundred rounds of mixed type through it so far (Fed 550 bulk, Fed 714 SV, and AutoMatch, but no failures of any kind).
Pop it open like an AR, the bolt comes out, easy to service/clean.
It's solid. There are some reports that the latch locking the stock folded can give up. This thing has a 3 position stock, and folded, it's 24" long, fitting well in a short discrete soft case with 3 mags in their separate pockets.

I strongly feel this Sig and the S&W are the picks of the litter in non-milspec .22tactical guns.

I have not shot the Colt, nor the HK416 .22. So take this for what it's worth. I have handled them, most recently yesterday at the gun show.
They're bolt made by Umarex, an airsoft manufacturer.
Both have an AR shaped exterior shell which contains the clamshell, longitudinally split inner receiver, the halves of which are held together with screws. To get the bolt out for detail cleaning you have to disassemble the receiver.
The Colt's flash suppressor has to be unscrewed to move the take down pins! It tensions them, and it's not 1/2x28tpi, though perhaps some metric adaptor will allow suppressor mounting.
The barrel is a thin sleeve within the cast outer shroud.
No aftermarket triggers.
Just peek up the mag well and all should be clear.

The S&W is quite a reasonable choice, especially if weight or price is an issue (threaded barrels ARE 1/2x28).
Sig is solid.
A guy would have to be an idiot to pass a CMMG complete rifle and buy the Colt or HK for the same or more money.
A good dedicated upper on a milspec lower is a joy.

Thanks, frog5215, appreciate the info.
The CMMG rifle is a great deal but I found a used lower that already decked out with Magpul stuff so my mind is set on that. I probably gonna go with their complete upper, very fair price.
I also considered getting the S&W 15-22 until I realized that if I do that, I'd get stuck with a .22 forever. Getting a AR lower allowed me to upgrade later and have a 2 in 1 gun.
Just out of curiosity, does the S&W 15-22 upper fit and work in a milspec lower?

Right. Deliberately made NOT to fit a milspec lower/upper.

Milspec .22 uppers are available from CMMG ($350), Spike's Tactical ($550 and up), TacSol(About $500 and up), Model 1 Sales($About $450-500 and up), Chiappa (about $325 -350), Compass Lake Engineering ($1100), Accuracy Speaks ($1000), Ballistic Advantage (varies with specs), and others.

The fun part is that ARs are completely modular and for about $65 worth of tools and access to a bench vise, you can change anything you decide you don't like. And you can build .223 and .22 uppers exactly alike.

Enjoy!

Ok, decided to go with CMMG upper. Only problem is there are 3 different one, I'm confused. What is the different between them?

Have you looked at the Nordic Components NC-22 uppers discussed in this thread? Seems they have some of the best reliability out there. Another idea and a discount too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you looked at the Nordic Components NC-22 uppers discussed in this thread? Seems they have some of the best reliability out there. Another idea and a discount too. </div></div>
Thanks, they look great, now I have another one to consider. I don't like making choices
frown.gif

They're all back-ordered though except the 20" which I don't want.

2nd 3rd etc... Spikes tactical dedicated .22lr upper

I was lucky enough to have an antique xm-177 upper with a slow barrel and lots of rounds down it! so I just got a xonversion kit...
getting to by a 22 kit for my Glock 21 also

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HN7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, decided to go with CMMG upper. Only problem is there are 3 different one, I'm confused. What is the different between them? </div></div>

Looks like it's a difference in FSB vs low Picatinney gas block vs high Picatinney gas block.

I'm addressing your original post. You said your funds were a little bit low. I don't know exactly what that means but IMO a .223 upper would not be a good recommendation unless you reload.

I think you should get a LOWER with everything you want. The NC-22 upper looks to be the winner of the affordable. If you want a centerfire upper I'd suggest you look at one in 5.45. Definitely the best bang for your buck if you don't reload.

I have saw and examined the cmmg 22lr complete and there dedicated upper . they had them at the cape gun show for 499.00
I could kick my self since I dropped 500 bills on a tac-sol dedicated upper about 3 weeks before the show. there is nothing wrong with the tac-sol its just i could of also got a lower for the same price . I also have a ciener drop in kit and a cz-v22 dedicated upper . and the tac-sol out runs them both . I have put close to 1000 rounds of wally world bulk pack , the not reccomended remington golden bullets , 60 grain aguilla super snipers and cci mini mags through the tac-sol and only had 1 failure to fire and no failure to extract for what its worth .
I spoke extensivley with the people at cmmg and ended up buying an acog off them , they let me open up one of there dedicated 22lr rifles and were very informative and tolerant of my intintional use of noob questions trying to trip them up . good people who enjoy the sport and they also have 3 gun shoots at there place of buisness from time to time for there customers or anybody who wants to come . I say there good to go.

The CMMG upper can be upgraded so that the forward assist is functioning and bolt stay open on empty mag. Does the NC22 have the same options?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HN7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The CMMG upper can be upgraded so that the forward assist is functioning and bolt open on empty mag. Does the NC22 have the same options?</div></div> Don't have my NC-22 yet, but will in a couple weeks when I get home. I know the bolt stays open on an empty mag but then closes when you remove the mag. Don't know about the FA.

CMMG has developed a set of parts that activated the bolt catch for Atchisson bolts. Since the spacing on Nordic and Tac Sol is similar (all use the same mags), this piece MAY work with non Atchisson bolts using Atchisson mags. NO personal experience here.
I'm just now about to try the parts (BHO and follower) with my various Ciener, Spikes, and Christy & Christy LH bolts.
I haven't laid hands on a Nordic, and haven't shot a TacSol, but I see some positive aspects of their departures from orthodoxy.

Get the cmmg part number 10299 its the M4 profile one. Little more i think 364 retail. Thats just my opinion

Definately get the lower receiver registered and in your posession first. Then either build it yourself using the myriad of online resources or buy it built. I opt to build it myself becuase I have certain preferences that the general market does not.
For training, I wouldnt even breathe on a .22 upper when there are 5.45x39 uppers out there for almost the same price.
A conversion kit may be cool but add the cost of that and compare that to the cost of 5.45 and you could have about 2k rounds to shoot for the price of the conversion kit.
You are also shhoting a round more comparable to the 5.56 in terms of recoil, report etc.
Now that you have an affinity for the platform you can choose which avenue to go in as far as what caliber you want wether it be 5.56,6.8x43, 6.5grendel, 7.62x39 or what have you.

For a .22 "practice gun" I went with the Remington VTR 597@ 300.00...sweet little plinker that accepts AR, grips, stocks and handguards.
Have fun

I have a couple Spikes Tactical .22 uppers laying around I'd be willing to part with. One is New. The only problem is I don't have the .22cal Bolt that goes in it. I think you can buy that seperately from Spikes though. The twist on these is 1:16" which is good for .22. PM me if you're interested.

John

<span style="color: #FF0000">ETA: I spoke to Spikes and they do not sell the bolts seperately but suggested CMMG Bolts for their uppers.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BLACK LION</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Definately get the lower receiver registered and in your posession first. Then either build it yourself using the myriad of online resources or buy it built. I opt to build it myself becuase I have certain preferences that the general market does not.
For training, I wouldnt even breathe on a .22 upper when there are 5.45x39 uppers out there for almost the same price.
A conversion kit may be cool but add the cost of that and compare that to the cost of 5.45 and you could have about 2k rounds to shoot for the price of the conversion kit.
You are also shhoting a round more comparable to the 5.56 in terms of recoil, report etc.
Now that you have an affinity for the platform you can choose which avenue to go in as far as what caliber you want wether it be 5.56,6.8x43, 6.5grendel, 7.62x39 or what have you.

For a .22 "practice gun" I went with the Remington VTR 597@ 300.00...sweet little plinker that accepts AR, grips, stocks and handguards.
Have fun </div></div>

OK, at $200/k for 5.45x39, it does take nearly 4 bulk packs of .22 to pay for an .22 upper. You can go through several hundred rounds of .22 at a visit to the range.
We're getting into autumn; some folks shoot indoors in the winter. I can be hard to find a range with rifle steel but you can shoot .22 anywhere, with less blast.

I'm more a 10/22 kind of guy than a Remington type, but I shoot tons more from my various .22ARs than from the 10/22s.

If you are going to go with the 5.56 upper conversion please clean and check the barrel VERY frequently. I have had two of these in my shop this week for bulged barrels. The customers were shooting all sorts of ammo and not checking to see if the barrel was obstructed. Also what I am seeing is WELDED gas tubes after a few thousand rounds.For safety I would remove gas system every 500 to a 1000 rds.Remove the gas tube and scrape away lead as much as possible.

Hope this helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HN7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They're all back-ordered though except the 20" which I don't want. </div></div>In that thread it was mentioned that they usually have everything nearly ready to go, they just don't have time to keep updating the website. If you call they can get you taken care of.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #FF0000">ETA: I spoke to Spikes and they do not sell the bolts seperately but suggested CMMG Bolts for their uppers.</span> </div></div>That's weird, I emailed them and they told me they still have them for $199, hmm.

Thanks for all your help. I decided to go with the CMMG upper, it's the cheapest option and can be upgraded so the bolt hold open on last shot for just $20.
Is the forward assist worth getting?

Well, we,ve been running .22ARs a long time without one; you can make the argument that you really don't want to hammer on the head of a rimfire case. If the round really doesn't want to chamber, do you really want to make it? Definitely not a critical option, especially if you're trying to save a buck.