• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

new to AR's question

pstimac

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2008
I'm a bolt guy who just bought an brand new DPMS A3 Panther SPC 6.8 but really wanted a .308 but couldn't afford one with the increased pricing. I just found a guy willing to trade for a barely used armalight 308. He says it's a 1 hole shooter at 100 with just 60 shots taken.

Since I know absolutely nothing about AR's I'm hoping someone can let me know whether or not this would be a good trade.

Any response appreciated and thanks in advance.

Re: new to AR's question

Do you have a picture of the AR10 we can see? Or a complete description.

Also, what are you going to be using the AR10 for?

Is the guy shady? Does it sound to good to be true?

A 6.8 SPC is pretty much an AR-15, just with a different bolt, magazine and barrel... So you'd be trading an AR-15 for an AR-10, at which point, I'd say this guy is trying to scam. However, with current scarcity/panic of everything, the 6.8 is getting to be hard to come by.

I would stick with the 6.8. The AR-15 platform is more versatile. You can build several uppers in different rifle or pistol calibers.

'one hole groups' {red flag}

Deal may be good- Trading guns has always seemed like a challenging proposition, especially if you are not face-to-face.

Think the 6.8 is a short action and the 308 is a long action. You can push two pins and change the 6.8 into 5.56mm fast. Uppers still can be found cheap! Or trade the 6.8 upper. Go over to ar15 and read around.

On a 308, custom build caliber uppers cost $$$$, mags$$$$ and for what? You already have a bolt gun that will out shoot most gas 308's.

Get another upper in 5.56 for the 6.8. My 2¢

My gun shoots one hole groups also... but they are 1 shot groups....

Thanks for all the advice.

It must have been a good deal. He backed out. When he went to ship it, his FFL told him he was crazy to trade it for my gun.

I'm still happy with the ar-15. I'll get a 6mm AR Turbo upper for longer coyote shots. Pretty close to a gas 308's energy long range but with a lot less wind drift.

I went with the 6mmAR since I didn't feel like fire forming for the extra fps. Hopefully I get it together here in a month or so.