• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing New to Bolt Action rifles, what tools do I need?

AlphaThree

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2020
I have all the standard AR armorers tools/vice as a baseline but what do I need specifically to build a bolt gun. I already know I need some kind of action block. Any recommendations on that? What other stuff to basically build something from the action up?

I have all the standard AR armorers tools/vice as a baseline but what do I need specifically to build a bolt gun. I already know I need some kind of action block. Any recommendations on that? What other stuff to basically build something from the action up?

There is no such thing as an "action block" when it comes to spinning up a barrel to a bolt action receiver. Virtually nothing you know about building ARs will transfer over to building a bolt action rifle.

I strongly recommend you stop worrying about buying tools and instead use your time to become educated on many of the details that go into assembling a bolt action rifle. Many of those details you don't even know you don't know yet. As your knowledge grows, the question about tools becomes mostly self-answering.

Which action? Many manufacturers have their own action wrench. Use the search function here for recommendations. SAC (Short Action Customs) has high marks. Brownells, Midwayusa, etc will have other options.

-If your barrel uses a barrel nut you will need a barrel nut wrench.
-Ft lb Torque wrench.
-A barrel vise.
-Rosin.
Go/No Go gages.

Vise with two pieces of wood for the "action block"
Pipe wrench to tighten the barrel
Cordless drill to spin the reamer
Unfired cartridge to check headspace

All of these should get your rifle built like most AR15 "LEGO assemblers" do it.

• Haha
Reactions: stompbox
Vise with two pieces of wood for the "action block"
Pipe wrench to tighten the barrel
Cordless drill to spin the reamer
Unfired cartridge to check headspace

All of these should get your rifle built like most AR15 "LEGO assemblers" do it.
I know you are kidding, but it would be an interesting exercise to see just what is possible with ersatz equipment.

Garands and M14's mostly.
8qlhnssm.jpg

The simplest in tools is the barloc, you basically don’t need a barrel vise or action wrench with that but you need to follow directions as some have had impact shift if the whack the barrel.

Specialized tools will be action wrench and barrel vise, generally I would assume you have decent torque wrenches or bits (barrel is up around 35-100 ft-lbs, various actions screws and scope stuff is in the 15-65 in-lbs range). Then a go/no-go headspace gauge for your caliber is usually a good idea (needed for Barrel nut, good idea but not necessary for shouldered prefits just to be safe).There may be more things depending on the specific action but all of those items will be useful for anything you build.

Reactions: gnochi