• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to distance shooting!

MatthewSDraper

Private
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2014
North GA
Well, obviously I am new to the site but I am also new to shooting at any distances over about 60 yards. Go ahead and laugh. I grew up shooting .22LR's and still love it to this day but am wanting to start hunting and put some food on the table. I recently picked up a little Ruger American in .308 with a Redfield 3-9x40 figuring it would be a good introduction. So far I love it! I stumbled on this site after looking into improving accuracy and sighting in scopes. This is a little string I shot today at just over 100 yards. Odd thing is that I fired 3 rounds and only had the bottom left hole on the 2'x2' target. Weird. I loaded up some 168 grain Federals from a different box and fired the three remaining holes. Anyone have something like this happen to them? Did I just miss a 2' square target twice and then get lined back up?

image.jpg

Welcome to Sniper's Hide Matthew. Everybody has to start somewhere, so that is no issue.

As to why the huge point of impact issue, there are many variables that could have contributed to that difference. One such is that you might have changed your parallax when you got back on the rifle after reloading. That means the way that your eye lined up to the scope with respect to the front and rear lenses.

At this point, your best bet is to do as much reading as you can on the various aspects of scope use and rifle shooting in general. There is quite a bit more to precision rifle than there is to the average deer huntin' rifle shot taken by your average hunter. It looks like the rifle you have is capable enough for you to get started though, so that's a good thing.

Thank you! I had read about parallax and how it can affect the point of impact. I try to be conscious of that, but that could be contributing. I feel like the areas that need improvement are in not rushing the shot (I know speed will come with time and experience like anything), working on my reflexes and not jumping or coming off target (I notice ear plugs seem to make a huge difference.), and then just learning to steady myself and follow through more. Yeah, got my work cut out for me! Haha This is a great site with lots of useful information though. :)

Welcome Matthew. As Lash eluded to, everyone has to start their journey somewhere, and we've all been there, whether it was decades ago or a month before you. I think that you will find a veritable cornucopia of useful information here on the Hide to help you, and that the members here are a very knowledgeable bunch of folks very willing to share their insights and help you grow.

If you haven't already found it, may I humbly recommend some light reading for you:

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-advanced-marksmanship/460-fundamentals-marksmanship.html

Again, welcome, and enjoy!

Welcome, I have been coming to this site for years for reference and just recently set up an account. Good Luck

Welcome aboard! This place is pretty good. Lots of good info here but always ask where the people got the references from. I only say that because there are tons of legit people here...and some that don't really know. Anyway, welcome.