• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to Forster press and dies---problem.

MacM11

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2011
Canyon Lake, TX
I've used Hornady, then RCBS and now Forster. i've found out that common lubes (One Shot etc.),don't work with Forster FL dies. Even with their stuff, it's still slightly difficult.
#2- my bolt is offering some resistance closing and is leaving a dimple in the primer. This is following Forster's set up instructions as I see them.
I've got to be making a mistake somewhere.

Re: New to Forster press and dies---problem.

How are you seating the primers? They should be recessed a bit. If they're flush you might have issues. Primer pockets clean? You might benefit from a uniformer too. Just a couple thoughts.

Size an identical piece of brass and chamber it without a primer. Note any resistance? If so try adjusting your die. Are you just bumping the shoulder back a bit or full on return to SAMMI?

Lubes: Try a few different ones and make an experienced decision. I prefer Imperial sizing die wax for anything having to do with a body die/fl sizer neck turning, etc. and dry graphite for neck sizing. YMMV.

I have a Forster press but use Redding dies. For case lube I use Imperial Sizing Die Wax and have never had a stuck case using it. If you are using a full length sizing die then the shoulder of the case should be getting bumped. If the shoulders are not bumping, insure you are getting the die down all the way on the case. As for the dimpled primer, it sounds as though the primer is not fully seated. If the primer is fully seated and locking the bolt is dimpling the primer then I might suspect a problem with the firing pin. Here is my suggestion ... full length size a case and check if it will chamber and bolt handle locks smoothly. Then go from there. Hope this helps.

1 get some Imperial sizing wax

2 the intructions that 99.9999% of the FL dies come with are best used as emergency toilet paper, set up yor FL dies with a headspace gauge, uniform the primer pockets and\or clean them

They come with instructions? 427Cobra made a good joke, about using the instuctions for toilet paper, but it may be a little hard on the buttocks!

He also made a very good point about using a headspace gauge to set up your dies.

My experience has been very postive with Forster dies. I use them in 30-06, 308, and 6.5 Grendel.

The primers are seated and recessed, and to add that the primer strike dimple is after firing to about 1/4 of the cases.
The die is screwed down to touch the Forster jaw shell plate.
I've only loaded 20 'test' cases until I work this issue out or I'll remount my other press/die.

You need to be measuring your cases to see exactly how much bump you are giving the shoulders when you're resizing. I've only got the one set of Forster dies and they needed to be screwed down quite far against the Co-Ax base plate to resize correctly. I take it you are trimming to length?
I don't get what you mean though about a dimple being left in the primer after firing?

The only press I've ever owned is my Forster CoAx, and it's the only way I've ever primed cases.

Are you priming with the press or with a handheld tool? If you're priming with the press I don't think there's a way to screw that up, so I'd take that out of the equation.

What kind of rifle is it we're talking about, the TAC30 in your signature? I'm asking because I'm not getting whether the dimples are appearing on unfired rounds after chambering, or you mean the primers appear to be cratered after firing. I'll assume unfired rounds have dimples after chambering.

I've used all kinds of dies in my Forster, including their own. I have noticed like others have that Forster dies needed to be screwed further into contact with the press jaws than Redding or RCBS to achieve the same sizing. I used One-Shot for the first three years I owned the press and switched over this year to Hornady Unique, a wax type lube similar to Imperial. Sizing has required so much less effort since switching from One-Shot that my only conclusion is that One-Shot just doesn't lube as well. Maybe try some different lube, Unique or Imperial are good suggestions.

If I got resistance closing the bolt when chambering FL sized rounds I would screw the die in just a tiny bit at a time until there wasn't any. Other people have better methods maybe, but this has worked for me, and is the simplest and cheapest way to set the dies to resize perfectly for your chamber. This advice is predicated upon the assumption that your brass has been trimmed, and therefore the length of the neck is not what is giving you resistance in chambering, and also that your brass is not work hardened.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyeDaddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

If I got resistance closing the bolt when chambering FL sized rounds I would screw the die in just a tiny bit at a time until there wasn't any. Other people have better methods maybe, but this has worked for me, and is the simplest and cheapest way to set the dies to resize perfectly for your chamber.

</div></div>

I've always thought the actual chamber in the actual gun was the best chamber gauge you could have. +1

Make sure your primer pockets are cleaned and prepped before seating them. Seat your primers flush. Make sure your dies and cases are clean. Lube your cases. Use a headspace gauge. Make sure you dies are seated properly and your shell holders are the right size. If problem persists, your chamber may be out of spec.

Thanks for opinions.I do shoot the Tac308 and it shoots great. All of my other presses/dies I've had no issues. I just got the notion to switch to Forster. I clean pockets, seat with the Forster priming device. I will try to screw down the die more. I've felt is was down to the shell plate but this can be the only reasonable solution.
Mcmillan TAC 308, lapua brass, FGM match primers, 175 SMK, Bench-Source annealer, Giroud case trimmer.
Thanks all//Dave

I found that I COULD screw the die in further. I put about 1/4 inch of turn on the thread and that did it. I've not seen the floating press/die relationship before. I will have to slightly re-trim/chamfer but the Giroud device makes it so easy.
I've been working 12 hour shifts and haven't had much time to troubleshoot this issue on my own. I still need 500 rounds besides 2X weekly practice for 6 day 'Rifles Only' at the end of the month.
See ya,
Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1 get some Imperial sizing wax

2 the intructions that 99.9999% of the FL dies come with are best used as emergency toilet paper, set up yor FL dies with a headspace gauge, uniform the primer pockets and\or clean them

</div></div>

Exactly. These are words to live by.

Josh

Simply adjusting my full-length resizing dies to meet the shell holder resulted in similar problems. I set the resizer another half-turn lower so it pushed into the shell holder when bottomed out, and all was fine. It's not uncommon to have to do this to resize brass right.

+2 on the extra turn. I spoke to a Forster technician recently and he advised me not to use water-soluble lubricants and sent me a sample of their lube.

I had the same problem with a .223 Ackley (Redding die), so I switched the universal plate out for the optional shell holder assembly. I sanded down the shell holder until I had the .002 set back on the shoulder.
Is it possible to screw the die down too far and damage the press? I know it generates a shitload of force.