• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to Long Range, looking for advice between these two rifles

jlhenry55

Private
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2014
Middle TN
Hello, New member here.
Always been more of a pistol shooter but just joined a new range that is putting in rifle ranges up to 1250 yards. After watching some of the guys out there I have gotten the bug to get in to some long range shooting. Don't want to spend a ton of money on a first rifle and I think I have it narrowed down to 2 choices, looking for input from some people who are more experienced than me as to whether these are decent choices? Caliber I am looking at is 308 it may not get me all the way out to 1250 yards but I have a lot of work to do before I am worried about that anyways, furthest I have ever shot so far is 300 yards.

Rifle 1 - Savage model 10
20" Heavy barrel - 1:10 twist
5 R rifling
Accutrigger
Cheap plastic stock that will need to be changed out eventually

Rifle 2 - Rem 700 sps varmint
26" Heavy Barrel
X Mark Pro trigger
Cheap plastic stock that will need to be changed out eventually

They are close enough in price that I could go either way, wondering which one will be best for my use, which will primarily be target shooting.

Appreciate your replies.

I have owned both and I kept the 26" SPS,There easy to modify and parts are cheap. You can upgrade cheap

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses, I am open to other rifles if they are in the same ballpark price wise. Trying to stay around $600 out the door.

If those are the only two, REM700. Were I you, I would look hard at a Tikka.

I'm a Savage fan (hate waiting months for gunsmiths) but with a 308 you're going to want all the velocity you can get so I would vote for the Remington. Of course I would also suggest you look at something in a 6.5 Creedmoor because it will be much more effective once you get past 800 yds.

I would look at a .260, 6.5 creedmoor, or a .243 before a .308. Look for a threaded barrel for a good brake (cheaper than threading later). More enjoyable shooting a flatter, lighter round.

.308 for a beginner doesn't get any better. I would hold off on the .260 .243 etc until you read proper windcalls and fundamentals. .308 WILL definitely get you all the way out to 1250. I had mine out to 1375 last summer.

Unless you reload 308 is the way to go. Most factory 243s have too slow a twist for long range bullets.

If you start with a factory Rem, you can upgrade slowly and always rebarrel to 6.5 or whatever down the road...
I mean after you have properly learned how to make wind calls.:p

Rem 700 all the way, .308 will defiantly get you off the training wheels and become a very efficient shooter. The .308 is easy on barrels and very abundant. If you see the need to change calibers that action you already have can become many, many different calibers. I have a used a 700 action to build a 6mmbr, and now either a .260 or 6.5 cm. Great to see you have caught the bug.... Not cheap though;)

Another Savage fan here but if I had access to a 1200 yd range nearby and those were my only two choices I would own a Remington. Gotta have 26". Buy a new chassis after you get some trigger time and learn what you like. Then 4000 rounds later when you replace the barrel go with 30" high quality barrel and you will be an experienced shooter with one heck of a rifle.

If those are the only two, REM700. Were I you, I would look hard at a Tikka.

^^Listen to this guy:eek: Butter smooth action, shorter bolt throw, great trigger from the factory, good aftermarket support for chassis and such...

I really like the savage rifles, but of those two I would pick the 700 with the longer barrel. However, have you looked at the Savage 12's?

I think the 308win is a sufficent round to start with but I also think there are better choices even for a beginner. I got a friend started with the savage LRP model 12 in 6.5 Creedmoor and he loves it. Hornady match with the 140 amax is really great ammo and doesn't cost any more than 308 match ammo. If you are going to be shooting with other people that are shooting 6.5's and 6's you will feel outgunned and that isn't good for new shooter confidence. If you have acess to ranges 800+ you can still get very good at reading winds (these rounds are not impervious to wind drift) and have more fun shooting longer distances with success. I feel that the model 12 is a far superior action to the model 10 and with any savage you can rebarrel it yourself with a few low cost tools and a super cheap match grade prefit barrel so barrel life is really a non issue. If you feel you want more after you shoot out a barrel or two I suggest you save some $$$ and get into a build on a custom action such as Defiance, Surgeon, Stiller, Kelby's ect. You will know the things that you like by that point and you can build something that fits you exactly.

Thanks for all the replies everybody. I am pretty well set on a 308 at this time since I am not currently reloading. I will definitely look into a few of these other rifles especially the Tikka's. They look pretty nice, although a bit more expensive.

The 5r is more of a sure thing than the sps. It will run $400 -450 more of course. You could always get the sps and if it isn't up to task rebarrel it but it would have been cheaper and less trouble then to just get the 5r right off the bat. I started with a 5r and it still prints sub moa groups easy. I have recorded every 100 yard group, the running average is .6 moa for dozens of groups, that includes load development too. So I'd say get the 5r as a minimum entry level rifle, or go with a component build right from the start.

If you are wedded to 308 start looking for and buying FGMM 175gr right now. 308 is also very forgiving to learn to reload for, which you will likely do eventually.

There is very good match ammo in other calibers now, like 6.5cm, so consider carefully whether you should go 308.

Either way, Don't skimp on the base, rings, or scope.

Unfortunately unless you get lucky this game isn't cheap.

I'm a fan of the 700, but I'd go with the Savage and never look back, hands down that's the way it is.

if the savage is the 10PC then it's a lot of rifle for cash, i would go that way.

the 5r is more of a sure thing than the sps. It will run $400 -450 more of course. You could always get the sps and if it isn't up to task rebarrel it but it would have been cheaper and less trouble then to just get the 5r right off the bat. I started with a 5r and it still prints sub moa groups easy. I have recorded every 100 yard group, the running average is .6 moa for dozens of groups, that includes load development too. So i'd say get the 5r as a minimum entry level rifle, or go with a component build right from the start.

If you are wedded to 308 start looking for and buying fgmm 175gr right now. 308 is also very forgiving to learn to reload for, which you will likely do eventually.

There is very good match ammo in other calibers now, like 6.5cm, so consider carefully whether you should go 308.

Either way, don't skimp on the base, rings, or scope.

Unfortunately unless you get lucky this game isn't cheap.

this^^^^^^

Sav 12 6.5 Creedmoor + Vortex PST and $27 a box for match ammo and get to shooting. Everything else affordable will need upgrades to shoot as well.

SAVAGE, because you will dump additional cash on Remington starting not with its stock but with its suck-ass trigger...

Between the two you chose, I would lean towards the savage. If it was my money, I would be looking at the Tikka CTR.

Just my opinion but it might be worth looking into Howa also. Good solid actions and still plenty of upgrades available... and at the right price too.