• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to long range shooting. Need some advice...

EastWestky

Private
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2011
I am planning on building a gun up from a Remington SPS Varmint .308. I am going to put a B&C Light Tactical stock on it and a Rifle basix trigger in it. My question is what kind of glass do I need for this gun? I want to be able to eventually shoot it at about 600 yds, but will probably be staying with the 300 yd range to first start off. I need a good budget scope. I am trying to do all of this for under 1500, I realize I might have to stretch that a little bit. Are there any other things that I need to be aware of to do that makes a good gun?

Re: New to long range shooting. Need some advice...

I just got my first .308 recently and I can tell you after my first range trip that two things really stood out to me.

1. Bipod or sandbag support for the front and a bean bag for the rear.... trying to shoot with the front of the rifle supported by a wooden dowel rod and my off hand supporting the rear of the rifle is tedious at best for trying to zero a rifle.

2. Trigger. I have got to get a replacement trigger for my R700, (ADL) because I feel like I'm pulling my shots due to the trigger tension.

Good luck!

Oh boy, you better sit down, you're gonna have a cartoon to watch!! You need to google search this site, this has been asked a thousand times, don't get mad, just do your homework!

Re: New to long range shooting. Need some advice..

Good glass is a must. But a more important factor is a good rifle platform to start with. Plan on skim bedding the stock first, insure the barrel is floated. In general you want the whole barreled action to sit in the stock snug and stress free.

Then look at getting a set of good scope base and rings, i always use badger. Never done me wrong.

Now that you have a solid base to work off, plan on good glass. Dont skimp on this. Youll be happy at 600 yards and the gun will still perform for you out past that range. Buy once, cry once.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2shots</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh boy, you better sit down, you're gonna have a cartoon to watch!! You need to google search this site, this has been asked a thousand times, don't get mad, just do your homework! </div></div>

LMFAO!

Get a more detailed discription in your mind of what your application will be. Then do some research on available options in optics to figure out which ones fit your application. Once you figure all of this out then you can shop for optics. If you start your research with a dollar $ amount checking prices you will have a long row to hoe because you setting your self up for failure. Save at lease $1,500 for optics. In the mean time like I said figure out your application and what you need the scope to do then see how many scopes out there offer those options.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2shots</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh boy, you better sit down, you're gonna have a cartoon to watch!! You need to google search this site, this has been asked a thousand times, don't get mad, just do your homework! </div></div>

Yes, please go to the optics forum and sift through the billion threads that have asked this same or similar question, then if you still can't figure your scope choice out go take a long walk off a short pier.

I have a vortex viper 6.5-20 and it works great for me. You can get it in the $400 dollar range used in mildot. Or much cheaper in the target dot, if someone is selling it cheaper because he bought it on sale.

700 AAC-SD
SWFA Super Sniper x10 rear focus
EGW 20 moa base
Burris XTR 30mm low rings.
Harris bipod 6-9inch.

Done.
I wish I had that planned out for me when I first started. Research sucks =) All of that will be about $1000. You REALLY don't need more than that for a long long time.

Like said above, there is so much information on this site that it will make you bleed from your ears...But, it will make you a better shooter and it will save you a shit load of money by making sensible purchases the FIRST time around by just doing a little research. Good Luck!!