• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to long range shooting

MrWilkey81

Private
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2018
I just joined today. I'm looking forward to gaining some knowledge on long range shooting. I have recently purchased a Bergara B-14 HMR in .308 and I am currently trying to figure out which optic to go with. So far, I'm leaning towards the Nikon Black FX1000. Any input from experienced users is appreciated.

Thanks,

MrWilkey81

Welcome to the forum.

There are a billion options when it comes to optics. it's all about what is in your price range and what you want out of it. read around the forum and find many many threads on the subject.

there is a thread about that scope here: http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/nikon-fx-1000.6871642/

but not a terrible amount of info.

Common entry level but good scopes are: Vortex, Athlon, higher end Bushnell just to name a few. i highly recommend exploring the Athlon line of scopes.

Enjoy your Bergara!

Reactions: SonicBurlap
I work for Burris, so you know, grain-of-salt here.
I think you're asking the wrong question. It's like going to a car forum and asking if you should get a Honda or a Ford without giving details on whether you like trucks or 4x4s or sports cars, or what your budget is.

I'd suggest that you develop a list of requirements that will match your goals, and THEN asking about brands.

My goals are:
Under $2k
Out to 1500 yards
Good enough to compete with down the road, but don't care too mcuh about maximum gear price categories.

My list would probably be:
Front Focal Plane
25x
illuminated
mil based reticle
zero stop turrets
etc.

(those goals and requirements describe a Burris XTR II really well. I DID warn you) :)

And, once you've got a shortlist of scopes, make sure you like the reticle. That's really a lot of personal opinion, so it's just want you prefer.

Welcome to the long range game!

Reactions: SonicBurlap
I am new to long range shooting as well. Going with a similar setup: Bergara HMR in 6.5 creedmoor. I topped it with a Vortex PST Gen II 5-25. Meets all your criteria. I don't have nearly the experience with optics as many of the members here, but I have been very happy with my purchase so far. Easy to set the zero stop, good knurling on the turrets with nice positive clicks. I have the EBR 2C MRAD reticle and like it a lot.