• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to LR

Amsoildealer

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2013
Im new to the long range world. I want to start a build. I may have a Winchester Model 70 classic sporter 300 win mag. Could i build a good starter gun with this.

H&S precision, McMillan, Manners all make nice stock upgrades for the model 70. Many companies make trigger upgrades, just depends on what you want to spend. Its all in what you want. Those are two good upgrades to start with in my opinion. They make a good solid base then put some good glass on top you have a great start.

That's what my hunting rifle is. Getting all the parts gathered up to build a long range tacticool Model 70 in 30-06. Big Winchester fan here.

Are you going to use it for hunting for targets?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Mostly targets, may see use hunting in the desert against deer and the elusive antelope. I'd be more used to the longer shots than with my 300 WM (don't want to burn my barrel out practicing a lot until my checkbooks deeper).

Well you have a Magnum bolt face so you would either have to trade it for a standard bolt or stay with a Magnum cartridge. If you stayed with the Magnum cartridge(the bolt that you already have) I would go with a 7mm WSM or 7mm Dakota if you were able to trade or purchase A standard .473 bolt face pretty much the best thing out there is a 6.5 X 284 Norma, 260 Remington or 6.5 Creedmoor... If you hand load your own ammunition the 6.5 X 284 and the 7mm Dakota (dakota brass isnt cheap though) are great choices, as the ammo selection is expensive and limited varieties... The reason I like these cartridges the best is because I don't like wearing ear plugs while hunting. there for these cartridges all do not need muzzle brakes because the recoil isn't bad. To get comparable trajectory and wind drift out of a 30 cal you you have to shoot at least a 200 grain bullet out of nothing smaller than a 300 Win Mag. Have fun shooting that thing without a muzzle brake. Lol. Even then the 300 Win Mag will not compete with the 7 WSM or Dakota in terms of windrift and trajectory....
Another huge reason why I recommend these cartridges is because they are non belted cartridges which "in short" means they are inherently more acIt it is fully headede than the 264 Win Mag , the 7 millimeter rem mag and 300 win.

Here's a picture of my 6.5 X 284. I customize stocks. Heres a before and after of it. Its fully bedded fully floated with a carbon fiber handguard.
uploadfromtaptalk1364453529280.jpg