• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to Me Kimber 8400 AT

midmoguy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2013
Eastern KC
I figured I would start a build thread for my new Kimber. I did quite a bit of research on them before i purchased it, and seemed to get alot of mixed reviews. I decided to take the risk so hopefully its a shooter. Anytime i read a story of one not shooting the bedding was usually the culprit. I havent pulled the action out of the stock yet but i plan to soon. It has a EGW 20 MOA base and i picked up a set of Seekins rings for it. The Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50 is getting mounted this weekend and im going to put some rounds through it.
20130418_113038.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guy, i hope it shoots good. I pulled the stock off tonight and like many others it looks like it needs to be re bedded. It was definitely rubbing the stock in the rear of the action, directly across the action from the safety.

No kidding, i usually shoot at my dads in the bottoms between Marshall and Carrollton and they had tons of rain, even more than us closer to the city

I always like the way they looked and thought I'd get one but so far just haven't run across the right deal

If it shoots as good as mine you will love it. I've heard the mixed reviews, but as an owner of one I think it is fantastic. I run FGMM 168's through it. Good luck with it.

Well i hate to disappoint but no real range report yet. I got the scope mounted, bore sighted it and it took me 6 rounds to be where i wanted to be. I then shot 3 shots at a shade over 1 moa with UMC 147. I know i know...3 shot groups mean nothing but i was running out of daylight and i was cold. I had planned on doing some shooting Sunday with Blackhills 168, but it was super windy and i had a killer cold so its going to have to wait till next weekend.

Well I havent got to do any shooting, hopefully tomorrow. But while playing with some brass and bullets tonight I found out the mag well can handle a coal of atleast 3.000". Im glad to hear im not limited to the 2.8ish of the ai mags

Alright so just out of precautionary standpoint I went ahead and skim bedded the rifle with a friend who had some devcon, turned out very good except it chipped around the front action screw for some reason. I went out to shoot it just a little Tuesday and cant quite figure out what going on. The blackhills 168 match shot just as bad as before, best 5 shots were 1.57"=terrible. I think this gun just hates those rounds. On the up side the remington UMC 147 i shot out of frustration pulled off a .79" 5 shot so i atleast have hope for the rifle. I dont have any other 308 ammo so im going to start loading some soon.

20130517_165445.jpg
Ok well after being disappointed with accuracy up until now, it took a quick 180 today. I loaded up 44.5, 45 & 45.5 of varget in a Lapua case with wlr primer pushing a 155 scenar. I started at 44.5 based on many people having good luck in the 45 range. I shot the first 3(all that I loaded) of 44.5 grains and quit there. She measures just under half an inch at the widest point, which came it to .189 MOA. I know its only a 3 shot group but it is a sharp turn around from factory ammo and damn i'm happy

Heck ya thats awesome, crazy how finicky some rifles can be and have that much potential
View attachment 7352
Ok well after being disappointed with accuracy up until now, it took a quick 180 today. I loaded up 44.5, 45 & 45.5 of varget in a Lapua case with wlr primer pushing a 155 scenar. I started at 44.5 based on many people having good luck in the 45 range. I shot the first 3(all that I loaded) of 44.5 grains and quit there. She measures just under half an inch at the widest point, which came it to .189 MOA. I know its only a 3 shot group but it is a sharp turn around from factory ammo and damn i'm happy

Mine loves 44.2 RE15 and 185 VLD Shoots 1/2" groups and have taken it to 1000 yds without issue. Good luck and they are sweet rifles.

Well after being not completely satisfied with the quality of lapua bullets, I decided to give the Berger 185 juggernauts a try. After doing some load development I found my gun likes 43.1 grains of varget the best. Shot three shots right at .35" at 100. I loaded up five rounds to test at 300 yards today, and with a little difficulty with the mirage I was able to squeeze out four shots at 1.892". The fifth was a flyer courtesy of the operator. Which opened up the group to 3.5 inches. This was all done with virgin brass, and after fire forming it and neck turning it before the next loading I hope to shrink these down a bit.