• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New (to me) Rock River 20" AR - best group today

boltstop

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 17, 2010
Colorado, USA
Best shot group 3 rounds, about .6" All other groups about an inch or less (and I discovered some sloppy rifle-handling behaviors at the core of some accuracy issues, sadly). Got great performance with both my handloads and (strangely) Federal 55gr. FMJ bulk pack from Wally World.

These Rock River guns can SHOOT. I like the light pull of the RR NM trigger group, even though it's a little creepy.

Re: New (to me) Rock River 20" AR - best group today

Pics from my shoot.

My handloads:
myhandloadsv3ot.jpg

myhandloads2.jpg

myhandloads1ot.jpg

Mixed group:
mixedgroupot.jpg

Federal Bulk Pack from Wally World:
federalbulk55gr3groupso.jpg

federalbulk55gr2groupso.jpg

federalfmjfirstshotstig.jpg

I just kind of mocked up a scope I had on my Remington 597 while I'm revamping that rifle and installing an inferior, but more useful scope (that's the LOL purchase). I didn't really take much time aiming and did not let the barrel cool properly. In other words, I wasn't putting my every effort into the shoot. I think there's another .1 - .2 MOA to ring out of the rifle, depending on my level of "motivation."

Which RRA do you have? I believe they guarantee 3/4 moa out of their rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlliedArmory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which RRA do you have? I believe they guarantee 3/4 moa out of their rifles. </div></div>

It's a 20" flat top heavy barrel with a NM trigger. Traded my Carbon-15 and Konus 1.5 - 6 x 44 for the rifle straight up.

I'd say the rifle generally shoots .75 MOA. Sadly, I didn't really put much effort into the morning; I could have gotten better results than I did. I also think that my "standard load" may actually not be as good as some other (to be determined) load for this rifle.

I've got a RRA ATH, it loves the 55 grain Sierra Blitz Kings over Benchmark. Pretty much every handload I have tried, it shoots under .75 MOA. They are shooters.

i just got my RRA Predator Pursuit - it has 1 test shot down the barrel. I've got some american eagle xm855 and some privi match 77gr that i'm gonna try. I think 69gr would be good for the 1 in 8 twist with the 20 inch barrel. When you say sloppy handling, what do you mean? upper and lower fit?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyrekzz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">snip
When you say sloppy handling, what do you mean? upper and lower fit? </div></div>

Oh no, the operator, not the rifle. While this is usually the case, the operator seldom recognizes this fact. Unlike some folks, I can recognize when I'm not on my best game.

oh - that's good. I have to get a bipod and then i'm all set. does phoenix tactical ever answer their phone?

Anyways, hopefully as you get used to it and break it in and "put more effort" into it, you'll be sniping prairie dogs or gophers
wink.gif

I just got a new to me rra coyote and tried this pet load from another member here.
load is : win brass , rem 7.5 primer, 25.5 gr. h 4895.

1442mhd.jpg

Is it me or are 52/53 grain bullets inherently more accurate in the AR platform? Both my rifles are 1:9 twist, and all of them shoot these 52/53 grain bullets scary accurate.

My RRA AR-15 actually shoots sub .5MOA at 50yd. This was with a Aimpoint T-1. I think I got lucky with my technique, but the gun can definitely do it! The website said my gun was capable of 1MOA, so I think yours can outshoot .75MOA as well.

My RRA 16" Tactical Entry 1/9 will consistantly shoot sub 1/2 MOA at 100 yds with 62 gr FGMM. It is a box stock rifle with a Lupy Vari X II Tactical on top. I love this rifle. I can't imagine how well a heavy 20" RRA would shoot.

I noticed you said your NM trigger was creepy...it shouldn't be. The second stage should break clean. If not something may be wrong.

It's a touch creepy, but light. It's so smooth that the creepiness doesn't bother me at all. You guys should NOT be mistaken about my performance with the rifle - I am not even remotely disappointed in it; rather I am proud that it can shoot sub MOA groups. I am not the super-patient, slow, ultra-focused shooter I am with a bolt gun when I have a semi-auto on the bench. I figure that if I get a sub-MOA result, I don't have to put any more care into the shooting experience.

Considering I had a $100 ATK Intensity scope from my .22 mounted up on a $15 mount, and I put that rig together at the range without leveling the reticule, I couldn't be disappointed with nice groups like these. I suppose if I got serious with the rifle and mounted half-decent glass on a one-piece, and carefully worked up a load specific to the gun I'd worry if I got ANY groups over 1 MOA.

I have the 20" RRA Varmint, and with handloads it AVERAGES 0.5 MOA groups - out to 400.

Hornady 75 gr BTHP Match bullet
23.5 gr Varget

NF 3.5-15, NP-R2
Magpul PRS

Awesome Rifle.

I just purchased the predator pursuit in 20 inch barrel a couple of weeks ago. I have been shooting it at 200 yds only. The best 10 shot group is about 3 inches using federal xm 193 ball ammo. I have purchased several brands and weights to see what it likes. Will try some tomorrow or Monday. Just waiting for temps to drop some in the evening, temps here in San Antonio have been averaging over 103 degrees and I refuse to shoot in uncomfortable settings now that I am retired.

It is great to hear of so many good shooting RRA guns. Lots of folks underestimate the company. Even bad mouthed on here quite often. I even read here this morning where some guy was saying a chrome lined bore was hard to get under an inch. Pffft!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Meat Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I even read here this morning where some guy was saying a chrome lined bore was hard to get under an inch. Pffft! </div></div>

He should tell that to the FN SPR owners out there.
wink.gif

Love the hell out of my RRA 20'' predator pursuit. I shoot 69 grn Sierra matchkings in it out to 600. It shoots .250 or better @ 100 with Accurate 2520. Also will shoot the hell out of Hornady 55 grn Vmax with Varget. Dont no what else I could ask for from an out of the box rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love the hell out of my RRA 20'' predator pursuit. I shoot 69 grn Sierra matchkings in it out to 600. It shoots .250 or better @ 100 with Accurate 2520. Also will shoot the hell out of Hornady 55 grn Vmax with Varget. Dont no what else I could ask for from an out of the box rifle. </div></div>

Doubtful you could beat that with one of those $3k+ guns either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rdsii64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Imurhuckleberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just purchased the predator pursuit in 20 inch barrel a couple of weeks ago. I have been shooting it at 200 yds only. The best 10 shot group is about 3 inches using federal xm 193 ball ammo. I have purchased several brands and weights to see what it likes. Will try some tomorrow or Monday. Just waiting for temps to drop some in the evening, temps here in San Antonio have been averaging over 103 degrees and I refuse to shoot in uncomfortable settings now that I am retired. </div></div> 10 shot 3 inch groups at 200 yards is pretty damn good when you're shooting with xm193. Just goes to show you these RRA's will put 'em where you point 'em </div></div>

I'd take that any day. Twice on Saturday and be smiling like a mule eating sawbriars.

the best group i have ever shot in my life was with a RRA varmit A4 with a 20" barrel...a little heavy but the bastards can shoot

I've been shooting the 55gr stuff... got 1 moa - maybe i'll try the 69 gr match stuff! the 55gr was that cheapo american eagle... so go figure. But it seems the twist is just right for 69gr

The 69 and 77 gr SMK black hills reman ammo shot great out of my 20" Varmint. I'll have to pick up some of the lighter stuff and give it a shot.

I also have a RRA Varmint. Mine is the 24" bbl one and likes 77 SMK with 24.7 Varget. I've actually shot this out to 1000 yards before with good results. 600 and in it's like a laser, I was surprised just how well these things shoot with a good handload.

I'm wondering what barrel life can be expected with these?? A guy a few weeks told me ago the wilson barrels are good for 2500 or so rounds of .223. I can't believe that.

Alan