• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New To Reloading.... Need Help .223

The_Hoff

Team Swampkatz
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2010
NH, former New Orleans LA
Ok so I just got my long range AR built now i need to develop a few different loads for it. It has a 24" Stag Arms heavy bull barrel, with a 1 in 8 twist.

I need to develop:

1. a long range load 800 yds to 1000 yds
2. a mid range load 500 to 800 yds.
3. and a short range hunting load for 0 to 300 yds.
4. and finally an inexpensive practice load for a max of 400 yds. something that won't cost me too much that is cheap too practice with.

I have read over the reloading depot for .223 and only found a few posts for a 24" barrel so i don't have too much to work on.

A few hide members have told me that shells loaded for 800+ yards i would no longer be able too mag feed the rifle due to cartridge length and this is no problem too me I do not mind single loading shells.

the loads I have been able to find are as follows:

75 grain Hornady BTHP match
22.3 grains Varget
- - - - - - - - - -
75 grain Hornady A-Max
23.0 grains W748
- - - - - - - - - -

I think these would be decent for mid range but not long range.

I could really use some incite and help too go along with the rest of my research.

thanks,
Adam T.

Re: New To Reloading.... Need Help .223

the 75 AMAX will fly just fine, i suggest using some Ramshot TAC powder. I wouldnt worry about using 4 or 5 different loads in the same gun. I would work up one load and run with it.

maybe one for hunting and one for paper. but if you can get a decent hunting bullet to fly right, your problem is solved. i dont hunt so i cant say whats good and i only use smk to punch paper. but pick one and master that first, record that data and keep good records. then branch out.

Since you are shooting the AR platform you wont be able to accurately shoot the 75 AMAX due to the length that you need to load it to for it to perform well. I would look at the 77 SMK and try the Ramshot TAC powder and run with it.

Ok as it stands i think i will just focus on a mid range load for up to 700 yards. that can be mag fed.

I think i am going to test the 77 smk's and the 75 BTHP's and see which my rig prefers.

Onto powdering it what do you think would be a decent powder and a decent starting weight? i want these to be mild loads so i don't burn up my barrel to fast.

Look at the load data found on the websites of the powder manufacturers.
I usually use varget and rl-15 for a 223. I like to charge it with 24-24.5 grains of either powder and work up or down (usually down) from there.
I got pretty good LR accuracy out of magazines using this;
Berger 73 grain target boat tail/ 24.1 grains of Varget / wolf sml rifle primer / 2.261 OAL / using LC '09 brass
This load will deliver to 600 yds.
For anything great at 800 or better I prefer bullets that are too long for the magazine. Have to single load the rounds like in a F-class match. It's good to poke them into the chamber as to disallow the bolt to slam the shit out the bullets as it goes into battery. Berger and JLK swampy bullets will have reccomended twists for their VLDs on their web pages. For long range run the biggest that you can stabilize w/ 8"twist. Load it with 24.5 grains of varget and work from there.

Im shooting a 20" 1:8 twist AR platform using Hornady 75gr BTHP match with 23gr of Rl-15 and CCI small rifle primers. Load is a little hot so I'm working on a load closer to 22.5 at the moment. Groups around 5.5" at 600yds so far with the 23gr charge. Judging by the drop and using JBM for calculations that puts this load at around 2950fps. Thats a little faster than it should be which plays into part of the reason I'm reducing the load.

I'm a big fan of the 75 Amax as well. They are still pretty cheap too. Varget performs very well. Good Luck.

I have the same rifle. Try 75 gr BTHP Hornady, LC Brass, 23.5 Win 748.... shoots great. I hated TAC, (shot well at 100 yds, but could never find a load that was consistent w/ velocity, so anything longer starts to drop quickly...) still haven't found a Varget load that comes close... chrono'd at 2640 w/ 10 SD..... I can hit the 935 yd steel consistently (as long as the wind isn't howling too bad in the canyon)