• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to reloading - Need help with bullet seating

Ma_bell

Private
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2010
Rochester, NY
Okay,I have a question. I'm an avid shooter an just getting started in reloading. I have a Savage 10FLCP-K chambered in .308 with a 1 in 10 twist. I'm trying to determine OAL using a marker and coloring the bullet. I have a fired, unsized case trimmed to 2.005. When I chamber a round in the case (either a hornady A-max or nosler Accu-Bond) the OAL I get is in the 2.88-2.91 range. Way over the SAAMI max of 2.81. Now, I realize that i'm measuring to to the bullet tip, not the ogive. I realize this isn't the most accurate method, however fitting in the magazine is not an issue. My magazine has enough clearance for more than 2.95. It seems like if I took these measurements (I lan on seating about .010 off the lands) the round would barely be seated in the case. What am I doing wrong? Advice?

Re: New to reloading - Need help with bullet seati

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What am I doing wrong? </div></div>
Nothing. It's not uncommon for factory barrels to have long chambers.

Re: New to reloading - Need help with bullet seati

Sometimes, especially with factory rifles, it just isn't practical to make the loaded rounds too long. Try a few rounds at 2.800" and see how they shoot. That's the length shown in one of my loading manuals as their max.