• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to reloading - need to learn

adam1122

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2010
Tx
Is there a sight that can easily teach me how to start reloading my own ammo (.308 175SMK). I normally just shoot match ammo but its getting really expensive and reloading is so much less expensive.

Should I learn from a book/DVD or should I find someone from a club and have them teach me hands on what I need to get in order to get set up and start making my own rounds? Any idea on the startup cost with the dies, press, brass tumbler etc?

Re: New to reloading - need to learn

A) You will NOT save any money by reloading, you will, however, shoot a lot mroe.

B) Buy and read at least 3 reloading manuals from different manufactures. Lymann, Norma, ....

C) Read the 5 stickies at the top of this forum labeled "Handloading for long range"

if you plan on loading a 308win using 175 smks you dont need a manual , allot of people on this forum shoot that load. Those manuals are inaccurate anyways

start reading the reloading section here , sponge yourself. Read for weeks. So much so you feel stupid. There are some really talented and knowledge-able individuals on this forum. Many people have asked questions that you might have like what kind of dies do i need , things like that.

PATIENCE IS KEY !! you can't screw up fast enough, you'll piss away ammo, money, and time if you dont get a firm grasp on what your doing before you begin. I seen it many times ( but not with someone who listens)

forget a book for begineers , forget a buddy at the range , if he comes over and shows you how to do everything you will just forget it( unless you film him)

watch youtube , the basics are there if you need to see them.

PM me anytime, ill give you advice or try sending you in a direction where you can find it.

I disagree about avoiding the manuals published by leading bullet and powder companies. I have a high degree of confidence their text has been vetted. I would start with the reloading manual and then add color to your understanding via web resources. Ask lots of questions and use the pm feature. Enjoy!

Safety & alot of patients are the key to successful reloading. Like said above, educate yourself on the basics and always put Safety first!!

Thanks for the advice gents.

Yep, there is good advice here but, the loading manuals give additional information... like for example my buddy was reloading with a new set of dies and, he was getting upset saying that something was wrong with them...

I asked him to explain what the issue was... he explained that the shoulders were getting dented up...

Well, if he'd have read some manuals, he'd have known immediately that he had too much case lube on them. I told him to dry off the cases some and, magically, the issue was resolved. ( he'd dented up a lot of cases so, this was an expensive lesson for him )

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SteelShot11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a sight that can easily teach me how to start reloading my own ammo (.308 175SMK). I normally just shoot match ammo but its getting really expensive and reloading is so much less expensive.

Should I learn from a book/DVD or should I find someone from a club and have them teach me hands on what I need to get in order to get set up and start making my own rounds? Any idea on the startup cost with the dies, press, brass tumbler etc? </div></div>

From piecing together my kit (starting from zero here) it's running me around ~$900 and that's including equipment I'm getting from the redding group buy, which is 40% off. This only includes equipment, no components. Keep in mind this is also including an RCBS Chargemaster which cost me $299. If you go the beam scale with powder measure/trickler method, it will be much cheaper. With the exception of the redding group buy equipment and the chargemaster, all of my other equipment is coming from Sinclair International.

I'm fairly new to the handloading hobby, having been at it for only a year and a half...

In my case, equipment "type" was a difficult choice.
Everyone says to start with a single stage press.
I couldn't see going that route. Needing to load for myself, and my two sons meant 300-600 rounds (rifle, not pistol) ammo per month.

So, a progressive press was the only choice that made sense.
But, I used it as a single stage press for a long time until I had a good feel for the process. Loaded one case at a time, decapped/sized it, inserted the primer. Then pulled the case, weighed it, put it back in the shellplate, dropped the charge, pulled it, weighed it again. Adjusted until the charge was perfect, then seated the bullet. IOW, I weighed and measured every case, every step of the way, just like a single stage press for months. It wasn't until I had a good "feel" for the equipment, and confidence that everything was set up correctly, that I began to use it as a progressive press.

If you're going to be loading any sort of high volume, progressive is the way to go unless you want to dedicate DAYS to the reloading process every month. Depends how much you shoot...

Using a powder drop in a progressive press also means there is going to be some deviation in the charges. Stick powders, like Varget, are a bitch to get consistent. They just don't meter as well as ball powders. So, if perfection is your goal, and you don't have high volume to contend with, single stage is the way to go- where you weigh each and every charge "tits"...

Costs can run the gamut from a few hundred for a minimal setup, to $1000-$1500 for a progressive setup and electronic powder dispenser.

If you know someone that handloads, you can obviously cut the learning curve to a fraction... but I learned myself, as have many others here and it's no big deal.

It's not just the process of loading powder and bullets into the cases, it's learning load development ("start low and work up"), how to examine and evaluate your ammo for pressure signs, spotting potential "issues", etc...

It's a potentially dangerous hobby- but once you reach a level of confidence that you're doing it correctly you realize it's perfectly safe as long as you follow the "rules".

And cranking out your own match-grade ammo for one-half to one-third the cost of what you can buy commercially, AND that's perfectly tailored to shoot out of YOUR rifle better than anything that money could buy, well, that's PRICELESS...:)

I would respectfully differ re: the single stage press. I still use the one I bought 30+ years ago (and a couple more that have been dedicated to specific uses). I'm not opposed to a progressive if your needs really demand one - I used a hydraulic-powered progressive shotshell loader in my trapshooting days - but have never felt the need for one in making my rifle ammo. IMHO, there are some sacrifices in quality in exchange for the quantity, but that doesn't mean you can't make good ammo on one. Depends on the kind of shooting you do. If I got into run-n-gun competitions where long-range accuracy was not crucial, I might get one. They can be confusing and even dangerous to a new loader if they don't take it slow at first like iwannashootit described. For the kind of shooting I do, brass prep takes up much more time than the actual loading process.

I would also respectfully differ re: reloading manuals. I started before the internet when these manuals were about the only source of info. Get a Lyman's manual. It will tell you what each step entails, when it's needed, and what tools can do the job. It was a great reference that I kept going back to for years. In addition, it is not limited to just one brand of bullet or powder like the manuals from many companies are. The tutorials at the top of this section are great, but I don't think they were intended for the beginner. You can't go from changing your first spark plug to building a race engine in a couple of days. There is a lot to learn both in knowledge and in skills.

I watched this DVD

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/986260/...-david-tubb-dvd

bought some gear, bought hornady's reload manual and sierra's manual and started cranking it out. Learning as I go, obviously, but he lays it out pretty good in the DVD, man.
Never done learning, obviously, but that's how I got started in reloading. Working pretty good so far. Tons of info on this site, also. another obvious statement, but hey.

as far as cost...

$300 hornady press
$500 dies and various case prep tools, brass tumbler, etc

my latest purchase was for 450 bucks from natchez shooters supply, but that got me the stuff to make 1000 mk 262 5.56 clone rounds. $.45 cents a round ain't bad...

next time I need another 1000 rds of 5.56, it will be 320 bucks. $.32 cents a round ain't bad either

+1 on reading the stickies at the top of the reloading forum. I would also recommend going over to www.6mmbr.com and having a look at the .308 loading page for some ideas of where to start with powder choices and starting loads. Always remember that every rifle is different and be sure to start low and work your way up, looking for signs of excessive pressure.