• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to reloading question...22-250, Tikka Compact

Charlie112

Herd Thinner
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2017
USA
Loading for my Tikka 3x 22-250, 20 inch barrel, 1-14 twist
1. Powder, H380, 37.g
2.Once fired brass, prepped and ready to go
3. Bullet, 52 g, Sierra, set at 2.352 oal.
It looks like this is a good place to start according to Nosler manuel....
I am not sure I understand the o a l and tightening the group or attempting to tighten the group,
[I hope I have this in the right place, Mods, please move if need be.]
Thanks, Charlie112

OAL doesn't mean much because the meplat of the bullets will differ even in the same lot.I would ue a Hornady comparator and get an exact measurment touching the lands with the bullet you are loading, then start by seating .020" off the lands. Lots more to consider, but that's a good place to start. Sizing for the correct head space would be next.

In my experience H380 is prone to heavy powder fouling. Better choices would be H4895, IMR 8208, IMR 4320 and Varget. First 22-250 load I ever made was 36 grs. of 4320 with a Sierra 52 BTHP. Shot good then, bet it still does.

Thanks to all of you for your input, still reading and digging for info, ShtrRDY, This was just a load I had read about, the oal of the finished shell had me confused, doesn't take much anymore,
Rlandry, copy on .020 starting point,
Nodakplowboy, I am thinking that load will still work,,, THANKS TO ALL, CHARLIE112

I think 37-38 grains of h380 and a 52g bullet is a "classic" 22-250 load. I never tried h380 and I cannot attest to its fouling characterstics but I know several people who use that powder and bullet combo.

38g in the 22-250 with a 55 class is why they named it h380. That is what I was told anyway. It was the first load I used in the first rifle I bought.