• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to reloading

cwatson308

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2012
College Station, Texas
Im new to reloading and got a full RCBS reloading setup for a self xmas gift. I have 550 once fired hornady .308 brass and my rifles shoot the 168gr hornady BTHP Match the best. Where do I start to get back to that factory load. Again Im new at this so all and any help would be greatly appreciated. What powder, what grain window should I try?

Re: New to reloading

I wouldn't make your goal to acheive a factory match on your load...you'll find your rifle can do better. Instead I'd start trying to get similar speed with the same bullet. Pick up a Hornady reloading manual, a box of 168gr HPBTs, CCI large primers, and some IMR4895 or a comparable powder. The manual will give you good data on load data and COAL.

There is no short cut to reloading properly unless you have someone to learn from...you need to read to be safe and do things in the proper order. The Hornady manual is a good starting point and you can pick up all that stuff at any BassPro or Cabelas. Good luck.

Welcome to handloading; it won't be long before your have been assimilated. Resistance is futile...

Your RCBS kit probably came with a Speer manual; you can never have too many. Here are a couple of links I keep bookmarked for reference:

ReloadersBench

SnipersHide

For my rifle and 168's I've done well with H4895. With 175's it prefers Varget. Check out those two links and they should get you started with charge weights. You'll see a pattern, so pick a few and give them a try. Maybe start at a low range and work your way up in .5 grain increments and find a 'node'. Then fine tune it in .1 grain increments.

For Christmas my shooting buddy gave me a RCBS Precision Mic kit, so that's the next phase of handloading for me. However, you'll want to concentrate on getting a load that works for your gun: the good news is you'll be spending quality time at the loading bench with lots of trigger time at the range. It'll be like Christmas all year long!

CCI 200, with Varget, and/or a WLR with RE15, 5rnds each from 41.2-44.8gr in .4gr increments, bet right around 44gr shoots really well. Should be ok, but when handloading always watch for pressure.

Also I've not tried it, but I understand if you call Hornady and ask what the load is, they'll tell you. However the powder they use may not neccesarily be the exact same thing you can buy.

I'll second you can never have too many manuals.

The best thing I was told to do when I started was to get a reloading manual and read it, then read it again! That's exactly what I did and I had a good mentor that has reloaded for many years as did his father when we were kids. A good mentor can go along ways, but a reading a reloading manual and doing research online from trusted sources does to. I use Hogdon, Accurate, and other websites for load data as far as powder charges go, as well as other manufactures websites. I trust several of the guys here as well, because their intel has been consistent with what manuals and reloading manufacturers have said too. You have good equipment already, so that's covered, now you just need the knowledge.

It's a lot of fun, but can be a lot of work too with out good equipment....and even with sometimes. Start low and work high on your powder charges to see what your rifle likes. A chrony is a plus, but not entirely necessary if you want to trial and error it. Muzzle velocity intel is worth its weight in gold when it comes to long range shooting, so I would look at investing in it when you get a chance to. It will also tell you if that extra .5gr of powder is worth it or not.

Read up on how to "read" you brass, or "brass flow" and it can give you a wealth of intel as well. Also learn how to properly inspect your brass and primers after shooting to know when to discard your brass and/or if your load is to hot. Your brass will tell you a lot, if you know what to look for.
Good luck sir and enjoy. I find it a relaxing way to spend some time.

I started reloading pistol ammo over 20 years ago and moved into rifle reloads a short time later. I found that my reloads are far better and and more consistent than factory ammo.
As mentioned above, a good manual is necessary but also searching the internet can provide a wide assortments of tips that can only be given by someone who has done that.

One bit of advice is never just think you know how to reload but ask any questions that you have doubts about. It will save you time and probably money.

I still find things that I stop and ask friends about.

Good reloading and shooting.