• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

new to shooting and the forum need advice.

buggley

Private
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2011
west by god virginia
i am just getting into REAL tactical shooting i am asthmatic so feild training is left up to me. i am an avid woods ball paintballer, yes i understand that it is totaly different than the real deal but its as close as i get. i am new to shooting period only been doing it a few years now and was wondering what rifle would best fit my needs. i am looking around 1200$ not much but could be worse. i also have 2 i could build on, an 03A3 and a swiss k31. if i wanted a rifle that will do better than .75 MOA at around 250-300yards max what would i be looking for? i was thinking on the lines of a .308 simply because of the ease of finding ammo. i dont reload yet but i plan to fix that next spring, so for now it needs to hold a good group with factory ammo. am i only dreaming something up or is there a rifle in my pricerange that will get this done for me.

Re: new to shooting and the forum need advice.

Welcome.
You should look into one of the remington 5r or sendero.they both should fill your needs for now and are capable of 1/2 -1.00 at 100 yards with some good reloading components and brass.
sometimes you can find second hand ones i the firearms for sale section for a decent price.

Good luck to ya.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wildcats</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Welcome.
You should look into one of the remington 5r or sendero.they both should fill your needs for now and are capable of 1/2 -1.00 at 100 yards with some good reloading components and brass.
sometimes you can find second hand ones i the firearms for sale section for a decent price.

Good luck to ya. </div></div>

Very good advice. Also remember you need a scope. You can get away with about $400.00 for an ok scope. Good luck.

I have a Savage 10PC action that I will be selling. It is set up for .308 with the bolt head that is installed with it now. I can set you up for a really good deal to start with and run. I will even throw in a Badger Ordnance scope rail and some EGW Practical Tactical 30mm rings.

For the price of this action and add a good barrel to it, you will be well under $1000, and can put the rest of the cash towards a good scope. I am getting out of the .308 side of things due to an reoccuring shoulder injury.

Just an idea... let me know.

DK

x2 on the Savage.... for a basic rifle, they are great! I know I will catch hell for this but.... A Savage did win TPRC last year....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buggley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i am just getting into REAL tactical shooting i am asthmatic so feild training is left up to me. i am an avid woods ball paintballer, yes i understand that it is totaly different than the real deal but its as close as i get. i am new to shooting period only been doing it a few years now and was wondering what rifle would best fit my needs. i am looking around 1200$ not much but could be worse. i also have 2 i could build on, an 03A3 and a swiss k31. if i wanted a rifle that will do better than .75 MOA at around 250-300yards max what would i be looking for? i was thinking on the lines of a .308 simply because of the ease of finding ammo. i dont reload yet but i plan to fix that next spring, so for now it needs to hold a good group with factory ammo. am i only dreaming something up or is there a rifle in my pricerange that will get this done for me. </div></div>
Do u have $1200 total for rifle and scope or $1200 for just rifle?

the money i am setting aside is simply for the rifle. i fully understand the need for propper optics, but i am still convincing her i need yet another rifle.dont have the cash right now will probably be using the oh so hated yet oh so loved "card" and selling a rifle to pay the difrence. the scope and reloading equiptment will com in time. i am kinda torn between the savage fcp-k and the rem 700 sps tactical. what sets the m10 fcp-k apart from the m10 fcp?

Look up the Savage 10PC at savagearms.com.

Unless you're going to be regularly shooting at well beyond 300yd, the .223 chambering will provide the ammunition availability you seek, while providing more economical choices. The savings could help you start and maintain your handloading capability more easily.

At your stage in the game, a custom rifle makes less sense than later; when your strengths and experience will provide you with a better grasp of where equipment improvements are actually needed.

Meanwhile, the custom budget might be better spent on a simple, reliable .22LR bolt action repeater. Your learning and training/practice needs are going to be far better served by such an implement.

Real tactical shooting, as you put it, is the sport of the physically fit. I know I'm not so fit, and suspect you're wondering about that too. All I can suggest about that is that you face your demons squarely, and listen to your body if it's not so willing to 'get with the program'.

Your path could go either way in this. Personally, I hope it goes deeper into the sport, and serves as a basis for upgrading your overall physical conditon.

But if it doesn't, that's no cause for disappointment.

When I found that I just wasn't ever going to become competitive on a physically biased tactical competition playing field, I never let it stop me from enjoying precision shooting. I simply turned, as many like me have, to F Class; which shoots the same distances with largely the same equipment, but puts less emphasis on physical prowess.

My path is my path, and nobody else's. It is governed by playing to my strengths. Seen from that viewpoint, anybody can enjoy the shooting sports.

Greg

as far as fit im game for almost any thing i have passed the p.e. test for sheriffs department twice. and i have been hunting for about 4 years paintballing for about 6. i am a fair shot and have studied my fire arms and what makes and breaks a rifle., every thing from propper cleaning and storing to shooting technique. still have lots to learn but i am picking up ok.
i started with the sks cheap easy maintanince and simple. then moved to the ruger 10/22 then sav.99e .243 , win 94 pre64, and a swiss k31, then a remington model springfield o3a3, nagant 91/30, mavric 88 12 ga. and a few pistols. so fire arms are very familiar with me and every fire arm i own i learn to opporate and use. i have never have anything to do with long range past my k31 or 03a3. i know very little about reloading and velocity etc. i am also broke so i am kind looking for ways to shortcut to a tight grouping rifle(never a short cut to any thing i know)

sooooo, may I ask what exactly you want to accomplish? You want to learn tactical rifles for??? Don't get me wrong, to each his own... I know a guy that dumped 5k into a rifle not including the scope and shoots it twice a year at 300 yards and he loves it. There are many options out there to "get started" that are great choices. In my experience, most rifles will outshoot their owner... myself included, I don't have the patience to be a benchrester. I shoot tactical rifles because it applies to my job and it has strengthend my hunting skills dramatically. So, again, are you looking to compete? learn? what?

I'd start with Savage 10 or Remington SPS in 308. Spend the rest on ammo/training.

Seems like your asking the opposite question most newbies ask.. Most want to spend very little money and have very high demands. You want to spend a good amount of money with little demands! If your seriously only shooting till 300 then get a 223, it will be cheaper(depending on what u get of course) , cheaper ammunition and accurate till like 600+ yards. I have the savage fcp-k in 308 and I'm happy with it. Shoots great! I would say my average group size is probably around .6moa, but it's just hard to say because some days it's .5 or better even and other days I just can't get it right and it's like .8 . But basically that exceeds your needs and the fcp-k is 800, which saves you slot of money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RFutch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd start with Savage 10 or Remington SPS in 308. Spend the rest on ammo/training. </div></div>

I second the Remmy SPS. Got my brother started into long distance shooting with the SPS and a Bushnell 4200 elite foe under $1200. He regularly shoots .75 MOA 5 shoot groups @ 100 yards using 168 grain SMK's. Some time much better

So I guess nothing I said applies to you, eh?

Well, at least I tried...

Enjoy your paintball, y'hear...

there is always room to improve. and as far as why, i for the last while have been trying to get on with the local sheriffs dept. so i figure that in the mean time i could work on a few things. i also am an avid spot n stalk hunter, it is alot harder to sneak up on your game then sit in a stand wait. i was kinda hoping to learn a bit about how to move and shoot. aplies more for squirel hunting where they dont go far but the dont stop moving. i dont need to sprint through the woods and dive to the ground to hit them but it is helpfull to be able to move to open up a shooting lane and still be able to hit.as far as in shape i keep a strict work out, not anything like the seals pre trainer but i do both insanity and p90x as well as a few other things so the stanima and strength isnt too big of a problem. i think i will be going with the sav. m10 fcp-k to start and go from there

But with Panda shooting it...it could have been a ruger with a tasco and he still would have probably won it. But yes the Savage is a great starting platform....also with the Savage if later on you decide to change calibers from the 308, a barrel swap is extremely easy on the Savage.

I would suggest a stock remington, what ever fits your fancy just make sure its a 700 action. Either a leupold or nikon scope, $400. Then go shooting. You will not know what you want until you go out and shoot and determine what you like and don't like. When you figure out what you like then have a smith do some work on the gun. If you stay shooting you will upgrade the stock, barrel, and trigger. Then upgrade your optics. After that it depends how much money you have and how far you want to take it.

It depends on what you are looking to do...say change a 308 to a 243...or 6.5, you just have to change the barrel and have the action headspaced, (can do yourself with go/no go gauges) bolt and mags are the same...you could switch to anything that is running the same bolt diameter. You can't switch between long action and short action. Changing to a smaller caliber like a 223. You would have to change out the bolt head...not the entire bolt.

I've owned Steyr, Parker Hale, Remington, Winchester, Ruger and keep coming back to a Remington 700 (Curerntly PSS). They're out of the box shooters with factory ammo.

Savage would be on the same page as Remington, can't go wrong with either.

CZ 550 and FN SPR (900-2K)or TSR about are a couple other choices