• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New to the bolt action world...

Cag40Navy

Private
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2013
Hello! I am new to bolt action in the sense of build/buying one for competitions. Im currently working with someone who is giving me training on some of my stuff now. I am mainly starting to look/build a bolt gun of my own that would be able to provide me the ability to go long range accurately while also being rugged and solid platform. Im also open to caliber opinions but I would like to keep it to a point where I can actually get ammo but I do reload so brass is my only issue. Thank you for your help in advance.

Hello! I am new to bolt action in the sense of build/buying one for competitions. Im currently working with someone who is giving me training on some of my stuff now. I am mainly starting to look/build a bolt gun of my own that would be able to provide me the ability to go long range accurately while also being rugged and solid platform. Im also open to caliber opinions but I would like to keep it to a point where I can actually get ammo but I do reload so brass is my only issue. Thank you for your help in advance.

I'm sure others will reply and have their favorites but here's a start.

There are a lot of good guns out there. Budget comes into play so if you're limited to under $1500 then a factory gun would be the way to go. If going above that amount, then a low end build might be an option. Since you mention being able to purchase ammunition, two calibers that have AFFORDABLE factory ammunition are the .308 and the 6.5 Creedmoor. I emphasize affordable because factory ammunition is available for most all calibers but it may not be cheap or easily attainable. Of the two, .308 ammunition can be found at almost any sporting goods or online store while the 6.5 creedmoor will not be as readily available. Caliber choice will also dictate which manufacture you can choose from if going with a factory gun. Remington, Savage, Tika and Howa all make a good .308. If you decide to go with the 6.5 Creedmoor, then I think you're limited to Savage. All of these manufactures make good guns and offer several models at various price points that can be upgraded when funds allow.

As far as reloading, there is a lot of information here on the Hide. .308 brass is affordable, usually easy to come by and made by all of the manufactures, including Lapua. 6.5 Creedmoor brass is only made by a couple of manufactures at this time with Hornady being the one most affordable. According to what I've read, Hornady brass is pretty good and what most guys use.

Just a couple of options to get you started...Sig Marine

I am mainly starting to look/build a bolt gun of my own that would be able to provide me the ability to go long range accurately while also being rugged and solid platform.

Accuracy International. Just buy one and be done with it. I chased my tail for years with "builds", no more.

Welcome! More information is needed to point you in the right direction.
What type of competition shooting? Bench/F-Class/Tactical/etc
What is your budget for rifle and optics?

Welcome! More information is needed to point you in the right direction.
What type of competition shooting? Bench/F-Class/Tactical/etc
What is your budget for rifle and optics?

Im looking mainly to compete in F-Class/Tactical/ and NRA Hi-Power Match Division with this rifle. Budget is unknown mainly because I want to see the best options for the money in which will give me a nice rifle/cartridge mix for matches. I like versatility and an ability to use in the field as well. I would like to take this rifle in the area of VLD/ELR shooting as well BUT that isn't as important.

Depending on where you're located, you might want to go to one of your local matches and check out what folks are running to get an idea...

Best thing to do would be to understand the rules for each of those types of matches if you haven't already. Then as mentioned above, do some research on what calibers and equipment seems to be common in each of those disciplines. Then see if you find a combo that works for what you need. It's hard to find a do-it-all setup sometimes, so may need to decide which is more important so you have the best equipment for you main need, but will get you by on your secondary need.
Best of luck.

Best thing to do would be to understand the rules for each of those types of matches if you haven't already. Then as mentioned above, do some research on what calibers and equipment seems to be common in each of those disciplines. Then see if you find a combo that works for what you need. It's hard to find a do-it-all setup sometimes, so may need to decide which is more important so you have the best equipment for you main need, but will get you by on your secondary need.
Best of luck.

I will do that! Also, where can I read on other competitions and their rules?

Here's a link covering F Class mtatchs and rules by one of the best contributors here on the Hide. Zak and his partner, Ray, at TBAC are both very responsive to any questions. Good Luck.

Introduction to F-Class 1000-yard Competition

I would recommend the new AI AT or a DTA SRS A1. Both have quick barrel changes supporting multiple calibers in varying lengths and twist rates, requiring only one premium scope for all your needs. Expect to spend about $10,000 plus your ammo and training, but you'll be set for life

Out of curiosity, where (roughly) are you located? People here are located all over, so someone may be close enough to you to show you around a local match.

If you're ever near Scottsdale, I'd be happy to take you out to the range one day for some fun shooting. Steel targets out to 550 yards!