• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to the hide - please be gentle.........

mwilkins

Minuteman
Jun 1, 2010
Sachse, TX.
Gonna jump right in here. I have been lurking on the site trying to read up on specific items pertaining to my current delima. So here we go.

A little back ground first. I have been around firearms for awhile now. Own serveral handguns and a handful of AR's. Here lately I have been getting the itch to step up to a long gun and to be perfectly honest, I am fascinated with tack drivers. Something about reaching out with pinpoint accuracy has just really got in my blood.

So, without having to break the bank, I have been eyeing the Remington model 700 XCR line. Here is a link.
Clicky

I see a good portion of hide members shooting .308's with a fair share of .300's and then on up. My thoughts are lingering between the .308 and the .300 mag.

For someone in my position being a newby to the long gun world, what are some of you guys position or thoughts between the .308 and the .300. I do not have any problems at all spending money on quality items/products. Just don't know if I am ready to drop 3K+ on a rifle.

A Nikon Monarch X Tactical riflescope 4-16x50SF M MD was just recently purchased from a hide member. I believe these optics will suffice for me getting my feet wet.

So please, give both good and bad thoughts. I have pretty thick skin.

Re: New to the hide - please be gentle.........

a 300 WM for your first LR Rig isnt a good idea. Ammo is expensive if you dont reload, the recoil is a little stouter than a 308.

My Recomendation:
Get a Remington 700 5R Milspec or SPS Tactical(drop it in a new stock)

<span style="font-weight: bold">The best glass you can afford at the time....just make sure the scope and reticle are the same, either MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA this will make life a whole lot easier.</span>

Next buy a couple cases of ammo Black Hills or Corbon and shoot the piss out of it. Or if you are close to someone on here maybe you could bribe someone into being a mentor. Also i would steer you towards a 308.

One can learn alot from a 308. Burn the barrel out and rock on, by that time you will know what you want in a gun and what you dont want.

you dont have to drop 3k on a rifle to start....I think you are on the right track for a starter setup but...... I'd shy away from the xcr in favor of a sps-v... you will inevitably upgrade to a chassis eventually. If you have a fair amount of cash to start with, blow it all on a scope.
deadly's ideas are also sound.

I started with a r700 sps-tac, 20 inch barrel and dropped into a mcmillan a4. She has been NOTHING but good to me. She is a half minute rifle, no problem. Especially with this scope...

11i27o7.jpg

+1 on going 308.

Also keep your eyes open on the Hide For sale area....you can get stupid good deals on nice rifles here.

Go 308 for your first precision rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Also keep your eyes open on the Hide For sale area....you can get stupid good deals on nice rifles here.</div></div>

+1 If you wait long enough you can get GREAT deals.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ADT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you serious? </div></div>

Well not entirely, she is half minute, but not with the aimpoint
smile.gif

Thanks for the replies thus far guys. Going to do some more fact finding if you will to clarify what I am really after. As stated in previous replies, it is probably in my best interest to pick something up that isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg up front. Get used to the situation and base a decision on where to go from there.

Again, thanks for the replies.

I look at it this way... If you have the money to spend on a better rifle, why spend the money twice? Get the best you can afford and remove the rifle from the accuracy equasion. Go to the "for sale" section here on the hide and watch or wait for something nice that's a decent deal. Low round count custom tac-drivers show up all the time. Or contact some of the fantastic builders that lurk around here. You don't have to spend $3000 but you don't have to "settle" either. Patience pays.

New guys with wide eyes and deep wallets. We get 'em all the time. Gotta learn to swim by diving straight into the deep end.

Spend what your skills justify. For most of us, a simple factory bolt gun will shoot better'n we can for a few years to come. At any rate, it's still a significant step up from a handgun or AR, and until you can actually demonstrate to yourself (who else's opinion matters, anyway) that a borrowed precision rifle will deliver better performance than your factory stick, well, the factory stick is plenty adequate. Most of us will wear out a factory rifle before we get to the point where our skills are being truly impeded by its simplicity. I recommend the Savage 12FCV.

There is something to spend some more on. It's a .22lr bolt action repeater for training. Get the wear and tear of the repetitive training off and away from the centerfire rifle. It's just not cost effective. A nice, simple, reliable .22lr, not something that's designed to neuter gnats. I recommend the Savage MKII-F.

My approach is minimalist, and based on the one mind, many weapons principle. A true marksman can wring the full potential from any firearm. IMHO, there are a lot more precision rifles in circulation than folks who can use their full potential. First the special skills, then the special tools.

Greg

The Savage 12 F-T/R rifle in a .308 would be an excellent choice to start shooting and getting used to matches etc.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

Look under target model series.

With this gun, you can throw on a bi-pod, scope and go shoot in a match, even with store bought ammo. Once you get accomplished and know exactly you want you will be able to sell off the Savage easily, if you want to.

Welcome to the hide.

What Greg said on getting a 22LR. Cheaper ammo and simpler than reloading for centerfire. Lots of cheap, simple shooting.

For centerfire, Remington SPS varmint with Bell & Carlson stock, or Remington 5R or Savage F/TR. See the following thread.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...rue#Post1850082

If you want a shorter rifle, Remington SPS tactical with Bell & Carlson stock, or Remington LTR.

Any of the Remingtons can also be put in an Accuracy Internationsl AICS stock/detachable magazine system, either now or later. I've heard that Accuracy International is coming out with an AICS for the Savage. Of course, you can spend much more.

You can also go with 223 for centerfire for cheap and easy reloading, just be sure you get a twist of 1-9 or faster to stabilize the heavier match bullets for longer ranges.

I like the idea of a 22 for training but if you go that route why not get the caliber you want to end up with. If your not interested in a training caliber then .308 as stated above. My personal opinion is that if you're willing to reload go 300 wm. Reloading is a hobby in itself. Save some money and learn with the end caliber, if that is your choice.

I noted your AR reference and suggested the 12FCV because it uses a common chambering, .223Rem; suggesting a natural intro to handloading. It also has a detachable magazine which is (SSS) upgradeable to 9 rounds, and features both the Accu-Trigger and Accue-Stock.

It's the plainest, simplest package I can find from Savage that has all the bells and whistles needed for good marksmanship, at a pretty affordable price point.

The 1:9" rifling twist allows the employment of longer/heavier bullets, extending the distances at which it can be used. While admittedly not the best 1Kyd chambering, it will go that distance; and personally, I never considered challenges like that to be something to be avoided. The 26" barrel supports longer distances.

Until you're up and running with handloading, BH and HDY 75gr HPBT Match (Moly) will deliver this rifle's true LR potential.

I only own one custom rifle for LR shooting, and it could have been built on this FCV platform. More importantly, this FCV represent several highly significant accuracy advancement features over the platform it <span style="font-style: italic">was</span> built on, and could probably give my custom a run for its money right as it comes, new in the box. So, I don't think you're giving up anything by going with a 'plain old' factory rifle.

Greg