• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to the longrange shooting ....................

asquires2

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2009
Indianapolis
I just picked up a Savage 10FCP (308)dressed and ready to rock for a hella deal! Now Im wanting to set her up for long range shooting.Right now she's topped with a Millet TRS scope,Weaver 30m rings and a Harris Bipod.1st whats the proper way to break her in, 2nd which off the self ammo would you guys recommend using with the best accuracy?

Re: New to the longrange shooting ....................

Break-in is BS. Nuff said on that.

Go to the store, buy a box of each .308 you can reasonably afford. See which one shoots the best.

More common sense, fewer questions.

O and use the links tree posted above.

My 10 FCP-K really liked Remmy match 308, YMMV.

Do what Elxx said and shoot everything you can get your hands on and stick with what works well.

Not true. Where's that break in video, that was great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: haldir</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not true. Where's that break in video, that was great. </div></div>

Stay away from those "Cow" barrels .... sage advise ....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: asquires2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...1st whats the proper way to break her in... </div></div>
Either of these two barrel break in procedures... they're both proven to be effective.
laugh.gif

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f_LvPjreNjg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f_LvPjreNjg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRRahHX9Zkg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRRahHX9Zkg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I thought you were supposed to clean in between the throws tho...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought you were supposed to clean in between the throws tho... </div></div>

I thought so too!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought you were supposed to clean in between the throws tho... </div></div>

It all depends on the harmonic oscillations.

You gotta be kidding me. Everyone wants to be an internet video sensation. Everyone's gotta "one better" the other fellow. I'd NEVER intentionally treat my rifles that way. If along the way it got bashed like that then so be it but to voluntarily do that - not a chance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRIM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You gotta be kidding me. Everyone wants to be an internet video sensation. Everyone's gotta "one better" the other fellow. I'd NEVER intentionally treat my rifles that way. If along the way it got bashed like that then so be it but to voluntarily do that - not a chance.
</div></div>

I would never do this to any of my rifles either, but I still found the video to be pretty humorous. If someone wants to scratch up their rifle to make me laugh, so be it.

I just talked a gunsmith tonite and he suggested I shot 1rd clean the barrel and to do this 10 times . Then shot 3rds and clean , do this 5 times. He did mention it would be a pain in the rearend but its worht it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: asquires2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just talked a gunsmith tonite and he suggested I shot 1rd clean the barrel and to do this 10 times . Then shot 3rds and clean , do this 5 times. He did mention it would be a pain in the rearend but its worht it.</div></div>

He wants you to do that so you'll be quicker taking it to him to have it rebarreled.
smile.gif

Lee.

When I first started I had the same question with the same results except one old timer come on and posted, "Just take it out and have fun". That is what I did and have been doing ever since.

EDIT: You may want your own range card once you settle on the ammo you like. Also, try to read 100 threads for every post you make. Good break-in period.
whistle.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: asquires2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just talked a gunsmith tonite and he suggested I shot 1rd clean the barrel and to do this 10 times . Then shot 3rds and clean , do this 5 times. He did mention it would be a pain in the rearend but its worht it. </div></div>

Read this:
Objective research on Barrel Break-in procedures

That far is to big. i bet faik.

You know that black stuff that comes out on your patch even though you can swear the barrel should be clean? Well, that your barrel on that patch.

What kind of jack@$$ dose stuff like that to a helpless rifle like that? He dosnt deserve to have guns anymore, now I'm not sayin I don't have a single scratch or ding on my rifle, but I don't just throw the damn thing like that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sreid87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of jack@$$ dose stuff like that to a helpless rifle like that? He dosnt deserve to have guns anymore, now I'm not sayin I don't have a single scratch or ding on my rifle, but I don't just throw the damn thing like that. </div></div>

Some youtuber, that's who.

Re: New to the longrange shooting ................

Actually that is NOBODY in the second video.

He was just proving a point, and a point that should be taken.

These are tools used to kill. They are not tools being used in a clean room in a lab. People can flame all day long, 99% of us will see no difference with a gun on the way we break it in.

If you want to spend hours cleaning, shooting, cleaning, shooting, then go ahead. I spend my time and money to improve my shooting, not to break in a barrel. Most of us can't out shoot our rifles anyways, broke in or not.

Also, NOBODY kills and shoots more in a month than most on here do in a year. His word when it comes to using a rifle in harsh field conditions is gold.

I like NOBODY, whoever he is, for he is correct, righteous, hopeful, and not afraid. I am a follower of NOBODY. I would choke myself with his hand any time. He can come over to my house and f*ck my sister. No, really.

Barrel break-in is a hotly debated topic. I personally don't think it matters. There aren't any secret rituals, just practice that matters.

Few things more funny than a band of do-nothin' Windowlickers,cackling about a scratch and some real world action,as applied to a Killing Rifle.

For conversation,that rifle continues to oscillate shit nicely and well into The Book with regularity. Sister yanked the hook not many days ago and crushed a 7.5' plus MONSTER with a 22" gross B&C melon,with said rifle.

I realize results are something new to Windowlickers,though I don't feel compelled to apologize for routinely stupendous results.

MonsterMash.jpg

IMG_8112.jpg

He's actually much bigger than that.

Im heading to the range Friday,I cant wait either. Thx for all the inputs and Ill let you guys know how things turn out. I was flipping through the site the other day and ran across a Savage with a custom skull paint job, I tried finding it again to show a friend and cant find it to save my life,could someone point me in the right directions?

He's fixing to be the best shot in the family and that is rather something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Volatile</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRIM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You gotta be kidding me. Everyone wants to be an internet video sensation. Everyone's gotta "one better" the other fellow. I'd NEVER intentionally treat my rifles that way. If along the way it got bashed like that then so be it but to voluntarily do that - not a chance.
</div></div>

I would never do this to any of my rifles either, but I still found the video to be pretty humorous. If someone wants to scratch up their rifle to make me laugh, so be it. </div></div>

Why not? Could your rifle not take it? Mine can. Guess how I know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FreshKills</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He's fixing to be the best shot in the family and that is rather something. </div></div>

So long as he has a head on his shoulders like daddy. Good to see you round again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FreshKills</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Few things more funny than a band of do-nothin' Windowlickers,cackling about a scratch and some real world action,as applied to a Killing Rifle.

For conversation,that rifle continues to oscillate shit nicely and well into The Book with regularity. Sister yanked the hook not many days ago and crushed a 7.5' plus MONSTER with a 22" gross B&C melon,with said rifle.

I realize results are something new to Windowlickers,though I don't feel compelled to apologize for routinely stupendous results.

MonsterMash.jpg

IMG_8112.jpg

</div></div>

Ya but look at all the tape you have to use to hold it together!
laugh.gif

Finally got to the range today with my Savy Savage. First things first , she's sweet BUT I have a few issues to workout. I got her on paper which was a plus but the LOP is too short for me and I dont have a consistant cheekweld. Im gonna get a adjustable cheekrest but Im not sure where to get a adjustable recoil/buttpad, could someone point me in the right direction? The stock thats on it now is a HP. I'd really like to keep the stock but I want to extend it and I dont really wanna go with a slip on.

Tape do nice things for keeping dope charts affixed and I'm a fan of storing extry upon the turret covers,for taping the muzzle. I've zero qualm beating the f--k out of a rifle's exterior,though I'm a might fussy about it's interior.

I drive moly expressly,don't stick cleaning rods hardly anywhere except over a fire,for roasting hotdogs and am a devout muzzle taper. Crowns get protected,moisture is denied and POI is unaffected.

Win/win.

Stay fixed,with both butt and comb.

Shim respectively.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FreshKills</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stay fixed,with both butt and comb.

Shim respectively. </div></div>

Ok show me the direction to go. You can say Im green to all of this.

I like a soft-ish comb,when adding height. Any sort of foam that jives with your tastes,will work fine. I also have zero problem gunning duct tape or similar and would simply orient height in accords to copious 100mph adhesion.

For LOP,I'd be stabbing shims in the ass,if you don't/can't add a nice pad of thicker(longer) material. I'm typically a 1" Decelerator Slut. Tough to work miracles on a shit handle,so fuck the aesthetics and concentrate ergos.

It's all about comfort.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FreshKills</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like a soft-ish comb,when adding height. Any sort of foam that jives with your tastes,will work fine. I also have zero problem gunning duct tape or similar and would simply orient height in accords to copious 100mph adhesion.

For LOP,I'd be stabbing shims in the ass,if you don't/can't add a nice pad of thicker(longer) material. I'm typically a 1" Decelerator Slut. Tough to work miracles on a shit handle,so fuck the aesthetics and concentrate ergos.

It's all about comfort. </div></div>

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I understand what your saying but I would like for the gun to look good at the same time.Although you can get duck tape in any color known to man,LOL.

Results interest me,far more than eye candy.

Nothing is more beautiful than consistency.

OK I did the duct tape with water line insulation which made me run to Gander mountian. After I duct taped everything in place I got behind her everything lined up to the point my mouth started watering. I went to Gander and picked up a slip on and comb raising kit,put it all together and she feels sweet! Back to the range this weekend for final adjustments .

Post some pictures on what your doing. Thanks.