• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to Thermal and need suggestions!

MasonSims

Private
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2023
Ringgold, Georgia
Hey everyone, this will be technically my first post here.

So I’m looking to get a thermal on this years Black Friday sale and I’m going back and forth between the IRAY RH-25, and the AGM TC 50-640. Both units seem to do well from the footage I’ve seen and the reviews I’ve looked at.

I want to go the clip on route if possible without breaking the bank ideally around 4000$ less would be great.

I have two rifles I plan for what I buy to go on…a bolt savage axis tactical in 308 topped with a FFP viper PST 5-25, and my 14.5 AR in 556 topped with a vortex razor hd 1-6 SFP.

I know the RH-25 probably wouldn’t work on my PST because the base magnification is high, and it’s small for the diameter of the optic. The AGM would work on both (I think) but it seems like the background like terrain, vegetation, and the like is really fuzzy. Whereas with the RH-25 everything is super clear.

I coyote hunt a good bit and that’s mainly what the thermal would be used for. I can take shots out to 300 yards maybe more at times.

I’ve been hunting coyotes at night for a while now with my DTNVS and my IR laser but I’m ready for better detection and a precise point of aim.

Thoughts? Any help would be appreciated.

If you're already running dual tubes, a thermal overlay would be hard to beat. Of course, they would be a bit over your budget, even if you get a Jerry-C from China. TNVC has a simplified/cheaper version of the E-COTI called the TAD coming out later this year apparently, but also a tad bit beyond your stated budget.

The Chinese RH-25 is probably the more versatile quality option that's kind of in your budget range and can be used as a clip-on.

Me no likey anything from AGM, but that's me and would defer to others to give you a less biased assessment of their product line.

Reactions: MasonSims
If you're looking for a thermal clip on, keep an eye out for a used Steiner C35. They are bricks but can be had close to $2500 and should be useable with your 5-25 (if it were me, I'd trade the 5-25 for a 3-15 on a 308 anyway). I've not played with a COTI or similar myself, but they seem to work well for stuff 150yds and in.

Btw, I'm the opposite of you, I run a NOX on my head (an iRay unit would work too), and a PVS30 on my rifle. That said, I don't think you'll be sorry to have thermal on your rifle. I feel naked and afraid without a thermal on my helmet

If you're looking for a thermal clip on, keep an eye out for a used Steiner C35. They are bricks but can be had close to $2500 and should be useable with your 5-25 (if it were me, I'd trade the 5-25 for a 3-15 on a 308 anyway). I've not played with a COTI or similar myself, but they seem to work well for stuff 150yds and in.

Btw, I'm the opposite of you, I run a NOX on my head (an iRay unit would work too), and a PVS30 on my rifle. That said, I don't think you'll be sorry to have thermal on your rifle. I feel naked and afraid without a thermal on my helmet
Yeah no joke. The total opposite. I wanted to run a clip on so I could take it off if I had to track a yote and then slap it back on the gun and keep hunting. What illuminator are you running?

If you're already running dual tubes, a thermal overlay would be hard to beat. Of course, they would be a bit over your budget, even if you get a Jerry-C from China. TNVC has a simplified/cheaper version of the E-COTI called the TAD coming out later this year apparently, but also a tad bit beyond your stated budget.

The Chinese RH-25 is probably the more versatile quality option that's kind of in your budget range and can be used as a clip-on.

Me no likey anything from AGM, but that's me and would defer to others to give you a less biased assessment of their product line.
That’s what I figured. I’ll probably wind up going with the RH 25. Just gotta get the money.

Keep an eye out for a used yoterC. Think I saw one go for 3500 here. You'll want that big lense if you're gonna use it as a dedicated clip on. I've not used the Steiner but it looks like it punches above it's weight for a 35mm but like mentioned above it's a brick. I think the yoter is <20oz with adm mount and batteries. The Steiners pop up alot used for decent prices from the glut when they were blowing them out.

Reactions: rlsmith1
Yeah no joke. The total opposite. I wanted to run a clip on so I could take it off if I had to track a yote and then slap it back on the gun and keep hunting. What illuminator are you running?
I’d forgotten about the Yoter C @GreenMushroom and that would give a great picture (at the sacrifice of FOV of course). Inside 300 I’d probably go with the C35 and find a lower mag scope for the 308 but the Yoter C seems to be a great unit for the money.

I’m running a Luna Elir 3 for an illuminator and it’s been great. I wish someone else would come out with an illuminator that is adjustable for focus, power, and direction because the Luna has been awesome but it is plastic at the end of the day.

As far as pulling something off a helmet and putting it on the gun in the field, I’d try and avoid that for a couple reasons. First, if you’re walking in without anything on your gun, you are not going to be able to shoot for a few seconds. Second, if you’re trying to scan and then mount in front of the gun, no doubt you’ll be louder and slower than necessary.

If I had to make a decision in your shoes / budget, I’d get a used Steiner C35 or Yoter C and get a good tripod you can scan from while you call. Just know you’ll miss some stuff by not having something in your helmet so start saving again (and that may make the case for the C35 so you have extra $ saved towards and MH25 or something)