• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New unprimed 7mm WSM brass: Badly deformed necks

JVH86

Private
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2011
Midland, Texas
Hello all,

I just got 400 pieces of new Winchester 7mmWSM unprimed brass. The first round I removed from the bag obviously had a mishapen case mouth. Each piece I removed was mishapen to some degree, some much worse than others.
I'm new to reloading, but I understand that new brass needs to be run through a sizing die. However, this stuff just looks awful. Please see my picture showing the worst offenders. Some almost come to a crease, others have dimples on the mouth, ALL are visibly out of round.

Is it worth while running these through the sizing die, or should I send the whole lot back? Not easy to find this stuff at the moment.

I appreciate your input.

a4pliv.jpg

Re: New unprimed 7mm WSM brass: Badly deformed necks

I shoot a lot of 7wsm Win brass and it's usually pretty beat up from the factory. I always run them through a sizing die, buzz them in the Giraud trimmer, then weigh them. Not necessarily to "weight sort" or any type of match prep, but just to weed out the extremely light and heavy cases.

Last batch of 500pcs I bought, I culled about 20-25 or so off the top and bottom of the weight spectrum. It was surprising just how much variance there was. Some cases were several (6 to 8) grains heavier than others. After sizing, trimming and culling brass to about a 3 grain window the lot has performed fairly decent with minimal uncalled and unexplained flyers.

Run them over an expander mandrel, like the Sinclair expander for neck turning. That will take the bend out of them. Then chamfer and de-bur them, size them, and your're ready to rock'n roll.

Jeffvn

All my brass looked like that........ even my win 7wsm stuff. I FL sized it, and shot it. Worked fine for me.

OK, so the consensus is that I'll be OK shooting it, but I might ought to consider additional case prep using an expander die. Thanks for the input everybody.

Looks like i've got an excuse to send Sinclair some more money!

Just FL size it with the expander ball installed and shoot it, no need for a expanded mandrel.

"Just FL size it with the expander ball installed and shoot it, no need for a expanded mandrel."

Yep.