• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Vortex 1-8 ????

I just saw something on another site about a 1-8 Strike Eagle possibly being released soon.

I hope it is an AMG, if so I am in for one.

It would make sense to make an upgrade to the razor 1-6 since the pst2 1-6 seems to be stealing some of its thunder right now

I have a strike eagle and it's impressive for the money! The new Nightforce 1-8 w/ a 34mm tube has my attention. I looked at a S&B 1.5-8 on a Scar heavy tonight and it was sweet, it sets the bar pretty high..

I have a strike eagle and it's impressive for the money! The new Nightforce 1-8 w/ a 34mm tube has my attention. I looked at a S&B 1.5-8 on a Scar heavy tonight and it was sweet, it sets the bar pretty high..

Is this confirmed? I haven't seen that first-hand yet...

Interesting development. I have to say that US Optics and Trijicon set the bar(s) rather high with their 1-8 offerings.

Interesting development. I have to say that US Optics and Trijicon set the bar(s) rather high with their 1-8 offerings.

Lol USO's 1-8 is atrocious compared to all others when it comes to FOV and eyebox. The leupold CQBSS and Swaro 1-8 blow the USO out of the water. (probably why USO discontinued that "thing")

I thought it sort of looked just like the Gen II finish but rewatching it i can't really tell. Guess we'll find out tomorrow

An all encompassing thread comparing 1-8x scopes would be nice. Even including some of the lower end stuff like the primary arms 1-8 sfp and the Atibal xp8 1-8x. I think they're all at least somewhat relevant, as manufacturers figure out how to instill more bang for the buck in optics, particularly over the last 5 years.

An all encompassing thread comparing 1-8x scopes would be nice. Even including some of the lower end stuff like the primary arms 1-8 sfp and the Atibal xp8 1-8x. I think they're all at least somewhat relevant, as manufacturers figure out how to instill more bang for the buck in optics, particularly over the last 5 years.

Ilya did a lot of good reviews a few years ago: http://opticsthoughts.com/?page_id=476

Lol USO's 1-8 is atrocious compared to all others when it comes to FOV and eyebox. The leupold CQBSS and Swaro 1-8 blow the USO out of the water. (probably why USO discontinued that "thing")

Disagree. I liked mine a lot more then the Leu. Never used the Swaro.

It's a 1-8 Strike Eagle. Street price: $450. Just came through my email.

Strike Eagle 1-8.jpg

My buddy bought a Strike Eagle only a week ago! Hope he got it on closeout!

I FINALLY picked up a PST 1-4, I've wanted one for years now, but never could justify it as I don't shoot semi often enough.

Picked one up on clearance and I'm giddy like a kid. If I like the concept (I've used the Razor 1-6 often) on my own rifle, I might go with the Gen2PST down the line or the SE1-8.

I've always loved the PST 1-4 though.

An F'in strike eagle? Man that is disappointing. PST Gen II or a Razor Gen II would've been much more preferred. Looks like it's still going to be Trijicon and Primary Arms platinum in the affordable realm of 1-8s.

This is an odd move with the current Strike Eagle being a 1-6x. With the price point being so close why would a potential buyer even bother with the 1-6x version? This does provide a very affordable option for someone that wants this mag range. I cant think of any 1-8's of any quality that are within this price range.

Wow.... what a disappointment...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From Vortex:

"Looking for a fast, intuitive and versatile optic to maximize the performance of your AR at a price that will leave you feeling like you ripped us off? Take a look at the all-new Strike Eagle 1-8x24. With a true 1x on the low end of its 8X zoom, the Strike Eagle 1-8x24 intrinsically adapts to a wide range of scenarios, letting shooters engage targets from point-blank out to extended ranges. Home defense, competition, recreational shooting, feral hog “removal” and any task between - This scope is up for whatever you throw at it. The NEW AR-BDC2 reticle subtends with popular .556 cartridges. Center target dot with surrounding halo promotes instinctually fast target acquisition and shot execution.

Follow us on Twitter for more updates. Don’t have a Twitter? Get one.
wink.png

The Strike Eagle 1-8x24 will be making its first public appearance, April 28th-30th, 2017 at the NRA Show in Atlanta.

Street Price: $450"

From Me:

Bummer...

I get that an AMG would have better glass and be far more expensive. Do we know that this new SE 1-8 is that bad in comparison to what the AMG might be?

How important is the clarity/resolution/CA control on an 8x scope that is often used at 1x?

Please educated me, but I would think that the brightness of the dot, the eyebox, FOV, reticle, and overall ease of usability would matter more than glass.

Forget the glass, what about the tracking and durability? They throw a 1-8 at us but do so in one of their cheapo line of optics.

Doesn't have to be a AMG but something tough with a mil reticle and 1/10 mil adjustments.

I get that an AMG would have better glass and be far more expensive. Do we know that this new SE 1-8 is that bad in comparison to what the AMG might be?

How important is the clarity/resolution/CA control on an 8x scope that is often used at 1x?

Please educated me, but I would think that the brightness of the dot, the eyebox, FOV, reticle, and overall ease of usability would matter more than glass.

Pineoak, the glass is perhaps not the big deal part of the difference between a strike eagle and an AMG. For me having dead nuts egrgonomic correct repeteable turrets are a big deal, as is having the reticle I want, and top quality illumination for the reticle. You are probably right that the glass will be very nice at that price point.

Back to the glass, I for one am willing to pay more for glass that has a nice big eye box so I can find the target faster.

Last edited:

Which is why I got rid of the SR8 I had. I replaced it with a Bushnell ET 1-6.5 which I felt outperformed the USO at less than 2/3 the cost.

I was crossing my fingers for a AMG and sweating it a little, just got a trijicon accupower 1-8 for my scar heavy. But I believe this was a smart move for Vortex. No one except primary arms has any LPV in the sub 500 catagory thats 1-8( that i know of). These will sell like hot cakes.

I can see the disappointment of some of you guys, but I see it as they can work out their 1-8 bugs before making a nicer model which I will have more confidence in buying knowing they have worked the bugs out on the low end model.

IMHO glass quality is more important on LPV scopes to me than it is on high-powered scopes at the distances I typically shoot, out to 1000 yards. With a high-power scope, I don't need a S&B to spot splash or spawling from steel at 1000 yards, I can do it with a Vortex Viper PST or Bushnell DMR. It's doable with a SWFS SS 12x. Magnification helps overcome glass quality IMO. With a LPV though, there isn't much magnification to work with so resolution and clarity are essential at longer distances. If the picture isn't that sharp or the edges are blurry it can be really hard to pick out an impact. I think the difference in glass quality becomes more apparent after 400 yards and especially at something like 800+ yards. With our $500 Burris XTR 2 1-5x scope, the sight picture at 800 or 900 yards is quite bad. In comparison though, with the Leupold $1500 MK6 1-6x, the glass quality is significantly better and impacts with .223 are way easier to see. I'd imagine this to be the case with 1-8x scopes as well. If you're just shooting the typical 3gun distance or something like that, then I don't think resolution is as important. YMMV

Last edited:
I wouldn't think that poor tracking would be a deal breaker with an optic like this, most of the low power variables have BDC reticles for holdovers so you can "set it and forget it", as long as the optic holds it's zero you're good to go.

-Kirby

An F'in strike eagle? Man that is disappointing. PST Gen II or a Razor Gen II would've been much more preferred. Looks like it's still going to be Trijicon and Primary Arms platinum in the affordable realm of 1-8s.

My thoughts exactly.

Ghey . . . .

IMHO glass quality is more important on LPV scopes to me than it is on high-powered scopes at the distances I typically shoot, out to 1000 yards. With a high-power scope, I don't need a S&B to spot splash or spawling from steel at 1000 yards, I can do it with a Vortex Viper PST or Bushnell DMR. It's doable with a SWFS SS 12x. Magnification helps overcome glass quality IMO. With a LPV though, there isn't much magnification to work with so resolution and clarity are essential at longer distances. If the picture isn't that sharp or the edges are blurry it can be really hard to pick out an impact. I think the difference in glass quality becomes more apparent after 400 yards and especially at something like 800+ yards. With our $500 Burris XTR 2 1-5x scope, the sight picture at 800 or 900 yards is quite bad. In comparison though, with the Leupold $1500 MK6 1-6x, the glass quality is significantly better and impacts with .223 are way easier to see. I'd imagine this to be the case with 1-8x scopes as well. If you're just shooting the typical 3gun distance or something like that, then I don't think resolution is as important. YMMV

Interesting perspective. Never thought of it that way (not that I can see splash at 1000 even with high magnification upper tier optics...). I guess I've looked through enough cheap scopes that magnification just makes the distortion and sometimes cloudiness worse for me.

I have a 1-6x and I think it has great glass for the money. I was impressed and thought I got more than I paid for in the glass department. I bet there new scope will under promise and over deliver. I look forward to the new 1-8x. I would have liked if had turrets and a EBR-2C style reticle? For $450 how much can you complain, go buy a S&B/Nightforce/Trijicon/Leopold and shut the F**K UP! Go pay 2x, 3x,4 x more money, than you've purchased the right to be sniveling, crying babies about the overpriced bird watching quality glass. I know you just like to look through it and not actually shoot. Or you can just sell it to me on the OX for 1/2 the price you payed for it and i'll make hits all day long while you complain. Let the crying commence!

IanHusaberg out

Not going to be as rough as Ian but I don't understand why people see this as a bad thing. It's going to be a good, inexpensive 1-8x. The BDC reticle, if anything like the Strike Eagle or Razor II, will work great for holds. I am not a huge BDC guy for precision optics but in scopes like this and my Razor II 1-6 for 3 gun it works great, is fast and is accurate.

And complaint about it being a 1-8x with a 24mm objective is funny as NF makes a 2.5-10x24 and everyone loves it. No issues with a 24mm objective on a scope with 2x more top end so why the 8x?

How about we let it hit the streets before everyone hates it? And just because this first 1-8x is a Strike Eagle doesn't mean that others aren't being worked on.

I love the collective griping. I would be shocked if a 1-8 doesn't make it into the top end lines later on, but Vortex is being smart and realizes that the majority of buyers don't have an exorbitant amount of money to throw at a scope that will only be used a few times a year. So they make this one that has really only 1 competitor in the market and sell a crap ton of them. I for one am interested at this price point. I will be deciding on either the 1-6 PST or the 1-8 Strike Eagle. Vortex hit the mark on these scopes.

People won't be happy no matter what. Even if/when the 1-8 AMG/RazorII/PSTII eventually comes out, people will find something to complain about it.

Was just really hoping for something else, that's all...
I completely understand why Vortex would introduce a budget 1-8; makes a ton of sense, from a breadth of market standpoint. I'm sure they sell allot more $500 scopes than $1,500 scopes. I bet they'll sell bunches to the ARFCOM/Cabela's crowd... I was just hoping for something to give the Trij a run for its money, hopefully with glass and illumination >= the 1-6x Razor HD GII. I know, based on my experience with the PST 1-4x, that I have no further interest in a $500 LPV. YMMV, of course ;)!

Last edited:
Not going to be as rough as Ian but I don't understand why people see this as a bad thing. It's going to be a good, inexpensive 1-8x. The BDC reticle, if anything like the Strike Eagle or Razor II, will work great for holds. I am not a huge BDC guy for precision optics but in scopes like this and my Razor II 1-6 for 3 gun it works great, is fast and is accurate.

And complaint about it being a 1-8x with a 24mm objective is funny as NF makes a 2.5-10x24 and everyone loves it. No issues with a 24mm objective on a scope with 2x more top end so why the 8x?

How about we let it hit the streets before everyone hates it? And just because this first 1-8x is a Strike Eagle doesn't mean that others aren't being worked on.

The 2.5-10x24 NF is terrible. I think it's only popular because of the clone status. Talk about unforgiving eye boxes.

The 2.5-10x24 NF is terrible. I think it's only popular because of the clone status. Talk about unforgiving eye boxes.

I had one and it was a good optic. Yes the eye box was tight but when used it didn't hinder it's use.