• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New vudoo build questions

Bayou1535

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2011
MW
Well, after putting it off long enough and almost going down the rabbit hole with a Tikka, I'm going to give it a go with a Vudoo. I really like my Tikka that I have and am satisfied with it in 17hmr but want to try something else. I want to get a 360 barreled action in a 20" MTU threaded and get it ordered within the next week. It will be in a chassis but that will come later with questions. This will be mainly for local matches and shooting at the house. I can shoot up to 600 yards but realistically will be shooting 100-300 yards. I know I have to pick the color but I'm not sure whether to go with a medium or a large bolt handle. I've read the many threads discussing barrel length and contours but I want first hand experience. No shorter than 20" and I see if I went 22" it would have to be a Kukri contour. If anyone has some close up pics of the two, I would appreciate it. Also, does anyone have a 22" in MTU? I will be calling them but this site offers a large pool of actual experience. Will be many more questions in the future, thanks for everyone's time.

Get the 22" MTU. I have it and wouldn't not get it.

I don't have first hand knowledge but @Krob95 says his 360 is butter smooth and I trust what he says.

Reactions: Krob95
I'll second the "butter" smoothness of the 360. I would go as far to say that working the bolt is smoother on my 360 than it was on my Gen 2 which needed some break-in to get it even close. Haven't had it to the range yet, but I am impressed.

All my precision 22RF bolt rifles intended for 22RF PRS-style matches are fitted with 22" bbls, most in Rem sendero contour, but the one bbl'd action I have from VGW wears a Bartlein in Kukri contour. I have no desire to have a heavier barrel - the Kukri is the heaviest custom I own. But then I have all my comp 22RF rifles in Manners Elite carbon fiber shell stocks - one T4A, the others PRS1Ts - and they're probably a fair bit lighter than the typical chassis options so many guys seem to prefer today. Obviously, I'm not a fan of chassis stocks, so don't know how most of them balance - but if it requires a MTU contour bbl to get one to balance....well, that's just one more reason I've stuck with conventional stocks and barrels of either sendero or kukri contour.

Not the question you asked, but.... I might suggest considering a different way of approaching this.

Imo as @flatland1 alluded to, a big factor in choosing rimfire barrel length and contour for match play is balance. I would pick your chassis before the barrel and then just go with the barrel that will balance closest to where you want it.

I haven't yet found a chassis that just balanced with anything short of a 20" MTU or 22" Kukri. I placed my new three 60 and ended up getting a 22" Kukri. I figure if I needed more weight in the middle of the chassis I can always throw a weight kit on there.

My Vudoo currently is an 18" Kukri and I like the way the Kukri profile looks over the MTU. I just wanted more length.

Vudoo can sell you a 22" MTU. They supply Altus with them all the time. You can get a 22" MTU from Altus in their next batch in July if you call in and pre-order/pay for it.

The best performing barrel I've heard is a 22" MTU in terms of having the best SD's. But they all shoot well.

As @Jefe's Dope said, I have a Three 60 with a 22” MTU bartlein. Incredibly smooth and the bolt lift is just perfect. No feeding issue to be seen, no issues in general actually. It’s an awesome setup and I would be willing to bet money you wouldn’t be disappointed with one similar (I ordered mine from Altus)
609C7F76-9651-40F7-8468-3046F9EA8F71.jpeg

Not to mention, Mike Bush of VGW has stated on this site that 22" fast twist barrels (1:9") shoot fantastic, and shorter ones (he tested an 18") shot like crap. His discussions on here have sold me on a fast twist 22" when I pull together the scratch for my Three 60.

22" Kukri in a MDT chassis with four front weight sets and one rear stock weight.
I have seen people remove an inch or two from an MDT ACC chassis to get the proper amount of bbl stick out. Make certain that you check out the barrel channel width in whatever chassis you prefer. The Kukri is pretty fat at its chamber end.

Attachments

• 20200916_090047.jpg
    20200916_090047.jpg
    680.9 KB · Views: 114
Well, if it seems the 22” is a viable option and others are using it then I want to go that route. I was concerned with the 22” length slowing the round down. Now about the contour, mtu vs kukri. I have a rem 308 in varmint contour but was thinking mtu since this will be a shorter barrel. And what about the bolt handle.

I purchased a 20” ace mtu and it’s fantastic.
I oringally wanted a kukri to shave a little weight but I don’t regret my purchase what so ever! I’d even like the 22” mtu. The added weight helps for sure.

On the contour, I would try to nail down your chassis or stock first if you want to target a certain balance while minimizing the need for additional weight. I went 20" MTU on mine with a Foundation Centurion Light stock and it balances right in front of the mag will no additional weight. Bolt knob is personal preference especially with the additional clearance with the 360, but went with the round knob myself.

I plan on ordering a round bolt knob for mine as my AI has a round knob and it may as well match

Reactions: plong
Does anyone have a pic of a 22” in a mpa? That’s what I probably will go with but I’ve read about issues with the mag catch. I have a bravo now and want to try something different.

Iv got a 22 inch mtu coming in a few weeks shot my buddies 22 inch and loved it great balance accuracy and stability

but if it requires a MTU contour bbl to get one to balance....well, that's just one more reason I've stuck with conventional stocks and barrels of either sendero or kukri contour.
To be fair, most chassis are made with a 24"-26" centerfire barrel in mind.

Reactions: Criver600
How heavy is that? 4 weights up front and a 22" MTU and a suppressor?
15/16lbs not overly heavy. My brother brought a bunch of really cool stuff down Easter weekend. That Vudoo 3-60 was awesome, very very accurate and ran like a watch. Mike Busch says that chassis works very nicely with that rifle.

Does anyone have a pic of a 22” in a mpa? That’s what I probably will go with but I’ve read about issues with the mag catch. I have a bravo now and want to try something different.
This is a "20-inch Kukri" in an MPA BA Comp chassis.

I've posted about this a number of times (explaining the quotation marks): Unless something has changed, your barrel may well end up being shorter than what you ordered. My 20-inch Kukri came in at just under 19 inches. I asked why... Per Jill:
"One of the reasons the V-22 is so accurate is some of the attention to detail we put into creating the barrel. Our lengths are "published lengths", what we shoot, with our main goal being to make sure the tight portion of the barrel occurs right at the muzzle. This happened to occur very close to 19” on your barrel blank."

She offered to replace my barrel with one of full 20" length if I wanted - nope, it's fine. But if you want all of 22 inches, make that clear when you order.

In response to whether this rifle is "balanced..." center of gravity with the anvil-heavy Vortex Razor 4.5-27x56 in place is just in front of the magazine well. But my standards of "balance" arise from shotguns; more succinctly, from built-for-purpose skeet guns. Compared to my Kolar, all of my competition rifles carry with all the "balance" of concrete railroad ties - they're just heavy beasts.
B1087BA5-C3D5-4216-9E1A-87774BA3CFAE_1_105_c.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Luka
This is a "20-inch Kukri" in an MPA BA Comp chassis.

I've posted about this a number of times (explaining the quotation marks): Unless something has changed, your barrel may well end up being shorter than what you ordered. My 20-inch Kukri came in at just under 19 inches. I asked why... Per Jill:
"One of the reasons the V-22 is so accurate is some of the attention to detail we put into creating the barrel. Our lengths are "published lengths", what we shoot, with our main goal being to make sure the tight portion of the barrel occurs right at the muzzle. This happened to occur very close to 19” on your barrel blank."

She offered to replace my barrel with one of full 20" length if I wanted - nope, it's fine. But if you want all of 22 inches, make that clear when you order.

In response to whether this rifle is "balanced..." center of gravity with the anvil-heavy Vortex Razor 4.5-27x56 in place is just in front of the magazine well. But my standards of "balance" arise from shotguns; more succinctly, from built-for-purpose skeet guns. Compared to my Kolar, all of my competition rifles carry with all the "balance" of concrete railroad ties - they're just heavy beasts.
Barrel length is measured from the breach to the crown. Did you measure it that way, or from he front of the receiver to the muzzle?

Here are a few things I saw in your post... so much info on this forum, keep asking and someone will help out.
  • I have both a 20" Kukri and 20" MTU and the MTU is about a pound heavier - the Kukri has a little dip after the chamber, but the MTU is essentially straight
  • I have a 22" on order and bet it will be a little less than a pound heavier than the 20 - it should balance without any weights
  • Neither of the 20"s will balance an MPA BA chassis out of the box - I have 4 grey ops external weights on the front and it balances
  • The large bolt knob is really not that large and has three rings and is rounded at the bottom, the medium bolt knob has two rings and is flat at the bottom... I don't use either, I run Area 419 bolt knobs on all my rifles
  • I read a lot on here about mag issues with the MPA BA - I have not had a single issue feeding, extracting, loading into barricades, etc. The new MPA BAs come with an adjustable mag catch. Watch Mike's video on barreled action install on YouTube and put the mag in when installing

I highlighted a couple areas on this other picture - my black one is a 20" Kukri and grey one is an 20" MTU.

Attachments

• IMG_0064.JPG
    IMG_0064.JPG
    749.7 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_3884.jpg
    IMG_3884.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 152
  • InkedVudoo_LI.jpg
    InkedVudoo_LI.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 167
Here are a few things I saw in your post... so much info on this forum, keep asking and someone will help out.
  • I have both a 20" Kukri and 20" MTU and the MTU is about a pound heavier - the Kukri has a little dip after the chamber, but the MTU is essentially straight
  • I have a 22" on order and bet it will be a little less than a pound heavier than the 20 - it should balance without any weights
  • Neither of the 20"s will balance an MPA BA chassis out of the box - I have 4 grey ops external weights on the front and it balances
  • The large bolt knob is really not that large and has three rings and is rounded at the bottom, the medium bolt knob has two rings and is flat at the bottom... I don't use either, I run Area 419 bolt knobs on all my rifles
  • I read a lot on here about mag issues with the MPA BA - I have not had a single issue feeding, extracting, loading into barricades, etc. The new MPA BAs come with an adjustable mag catch. Watch Mike's video on barreled action install on YouTube and put the mag in when installing

I highlighted a couple areas on this other picture - my black one is a 20" Kukri and grey one is an 20" MTU.

I like the look of that dip on the Kukri is why I went with the 22" Kukri.

Barrel length is measured from the breach to the crown. Did you measure it that way, or from he front of the receiver to the muzzle?
Mike Bush asked the same thing here, page 152 in the All Things Rimfire / Vudoo Gun Works V-22 Rimfire Bolt Action forum.

jn501968, which 22'' contour did you go with? Thanks everyone for their insight and personal experiences. After probably too much thinking, I'm going 22" with the large bolt knob. I'm just debating kukri or mtu on the contour. I'd like to not have to use weights on the chassis to make the rifle balance. I'm not dead set on the mtu as from what I can tell there is not much difference between the two except the dip after the chamber? I'm waiting on a reply back from mpa but thats what I'll be going with.​

I have both a 20" Kukri and 20" MTU and the MTU is about a pound heavier - the Kukri has a little dip after the chamber, but the MTU is essentially straight

A pound of weight in the barrel is a pretty substantial difference, I'd say. That dip in the Kukri leads to a smaller OD for the length of the barrel, which means a fair amount less steel. The MTU would be more likely to bring your balance point forward than the Kukri, but it depends on the chassis.

Almost forgot, which scope base? I have no idea on what glass I will use and I've read a little and still clear as mud. I want to zero at 50 and shoot up to 300. Realistically not going to be shooting 400-500 but around 50-200 will be the norm.

Matters on how much travel your scope has you’ll need at least 80 moa or 24mils to run a 40 moa base to zero at 50

Last edited:
22" MTU and a 40 MOA base. You'll have no issues zeroing at 50.

jn501968, which 22'' contour did you go with? Thanks everyone for their insight and personal experiences. After probably too much thinking, I'm going 22" with the large bolt knob. I'm just debating kukri or mtu on the contour. I'd like to not have to use weights on the chassis to make the rifle balance. I'm not dead set on the mtu as from what I can tell there is not much difference between the two except the dip after the chamber? I'm waiting on a reply back from mpa but thats what I'll be going with.​

I ordered the 22" MTU - I would expect both 22" contours to balance in the MPA BA. I run 24" and 26" MTU on my centerfires, so the extra weight over the Kukri doesn't bother me.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
I haven't yet found a chassis that just balanced with anything short of a 20" MTU or 22" Kukri. I placed my new three 60 and ended up getting a 22" Kukri. I figure if I needed more weight in the middle of the chassis I can always throw a weight kit on there.

My Vudoo currently is an 18" Kukri and I like the way the Kukri profile looks over the MTU. I just wanted more length.

Vudoo can sell you a 22" MTU. They supply Altus with them all the time. You can get a 22" MTU from Altus in their next batch in July if you call in and pre-order/pay for it.

The best performing barrel I've heard is a 22" MTU in terms of having the best SD's. But they all shoot well.
It wasn't all that long ago I attended a PRS training class at Peacemaker and they were stuck on nothing longer than 18" barrel. I had already put together a VGW (it's a gen1) with a 20" Kukri barrel and the speed accuracy is better than my ability....my point is glad to get what I wanted and not what somebody said was right or wrong. You will make what ever you end up with work.

Mine is setting in the MPA BA Comp wtih both front chassis weights added for balance.

Reactions: cwmoss

I just received my 360 in a Ridgeback stock and a 22" MTU barrel. It balances an inch in front of the magazine well or right where the barrel meets the receiver. I weighed it with a empty mag and an Atlas bipod mounted and am looking at 15lb 12.4 oz.

I just received my 360 in a Ridgeback stock and a 22" MTU barrel. It balances an inch in front of the magazine well or right where the barrel meets the receiver. I weighed it with a empty mag and an Atlas bipod mounted and am looking at 15lb 12.4 oz.

Scope or no scope at 15 lb 12.4oz?

Does anyone that went the 22'' mtu route wish they would have gone with the kukri?

My single shot Vudoo, has a 24 " Shilen Ratchet barrel. I requested the 24" barrel. It sits in a McMillan prone stock for F-class shooting.
Waiting on a 7-35 ATAR Nightforce to put on it. Paralax goes down to 15 yds. Loves Lapua Center X