• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Weaver tactical 3-15x50

Re: New Weaver tactical 3-15x50

I just reicieved the 3x15 yesterday. First impressions is good. I don't know why but I like the green and red light illum. choice. Why couldn't more scope companies do the same?
I have owned a few high end scopes. But Weaver did a good job putting together this scope. I like the Bushnell scopes but think this one might take the lead. It is in the right price range for a good scope. Maybe not the best but only 700 bucks a great buy.

Got mine last weekend... only had time to take it to the range and put about 10rds thru it (mounted on my 12LRP in 6.5CM) for initial zero. Last four were one ragged hole, so thats good I guess
wink.gif

It'll be interesting shooting w/ a FFP where the reticle basically covers my aiming point even @ 15x. The big thing that I wound up scratching my head over is the FFP. Still not entirely sold on a FFP variable - kinda thick on max, almost too thin @ min. Not as bad as a SA gen II I used to have, but enough so that I started questioning whether it was worth the trouble.

5-15x50mm scope: $500
mil reticle: $50
mil turret: $150

zero your rifle with one shot at any power: priceless.

For anyone who missed the $675 cyber monday special from Midway they are offering the 3-15 Weaver tactical for $675 again for 36 hrs starting at 12 noon today Sun Dec 11. I just got one and really like it for the price .

david

Looking at SWFAs website and they have the weaver tactical in 3x15 and 4x20. The 4x20 does not appear to have the illuminated reticle. Which option is more desirable, illuminated reticle or additional magnification?

Careful, I think the 4x20 has MOA turrets. The 3x15s are mil/mil. That kept me from buying the 4x20. Make sure before you buy, if it matters to you.

Thanks for that info. I'm looking to upgrade my scope. I started with a vortex 6-24x50. I bought it in April for $100 just to get out and start shooting. It's worked well for someone who just started but now I want something better. Concerned about going from a scope with a max of 24x to 15x. Any thoughts?

I bet Weaver would sell a *boatload* of 4-20 mil/mil illuminated EMDRs at $799 (based on SWFA's pricing of current models).

I've currently got a Bushnell Elite 4200 Tactical 6-24x50 mil/mil FFP and while it's a nice scope, I'd jump on a 4-20 Weaver mil/mil FFP if only for the reticle.

Thanks for the heads up! <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: al redneck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For anyone who missed the $675 cyber monday special from Midway they are offering the 3-15 Weaver tactical for $675 again for 36 hrs starting at 12 noon today Sun Dec 11. I just got one and really like it for the price .

david </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bet Weaver would sell a *boatload* of 4-20 mil/mil illuminated EMDRs at $799 (based on SWFA's pricing of current models).

I've currently got a Bushnell Elite 4200 Tactical 6-24x50 mil/mil FFP and while it's a nice scope, I'd jump on a 4-20 Weaver mil/mil FFP if only for the reticle. </div></div>

They would and so would a lot of people but personally I'd bet it will be a cold day in hell before weaver actually listens to what people want.

Flyingbullseye

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flyingbullseye</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bet Weaver would sell a *boatload* of 4-20 mil/mil illuminated EMDRs at $799 (based on SWFA's pricing of current models).

I've currently got a Bushnell Elite 4200 Tactical 6-24x50 mil/mil FFP and while it's a nice scope, I'd jump on a 4-20 Weaver mil/mil FFP if only for the reticle. </div></div>

They would and so would a lot of people but personally I'd bet it will be a cold day in hell before weaver actually listens to what people want.

Flyingbullseye </div></div>

Let me guess - they're not listening to "the people" unless you get exaclty what you want in every way? Your magnification range, your reticle you want, a zero stop, better glass that S&B, perfect illumination, a hand job from a hot college chick, and all for half the price of the competition?

I grow weary of people on here whining that the scope companies don't listen to "the people." Weaver has made a pretty good scope here that is a good compromise of features and quality for the price. If you don't like it, don't buy the damned thing. But quit whining they aren't listening because you didn't get exactly what you wanted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BBJones</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blue109</div><div class="ubbcode-body">mine is similar but not quite so far off. seems to only be off a fraction of a "click" or about the actual width of one of the lines. seems like if you zero your knob right on the center line of the turret its a tooth off and wont lock down. you have to twist it a tiny bit for it to fall into the slot. for me that twist is only about half a mm.

could it be done in purpose so you dont bump the turrets into the locked position?

i can live with it, i just dont like how the dial can go halfway down and still turn with no reference lines. should be all up or all down, no in between. </div></div>

Got mine yesterday. Mine lines up perfect but does have that halfway thing you are talking about. Haven't had the chance to really mess with it. So far, I am very happy with it, but wont really know until I get it mounted up and a few hundred down range. </div></div>

You guys that are having issues with the turrets lining up I have a question. Ive seen some scopes that have a similar problem from time to time like the weaver GST or bushnell tacticals. If you change your zero by one .1 mil do the marks line up after that? If this was a quick fix I would be ok with it having this "problem."

I am planning on buying either this scope or a PST and this could influence my decision greatly. If anyone could help with this I would greatly appreciate it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RFutch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

You guys that are having issues with the turrets lining up I have a question. Ive seen some scopes that have a similar problem from time to time like the weaver GST or bushnell tacticals. If you change your zero by one .1 mil do the marks line up after that? If this was a quick fix I would be ok with it having this "problem."

I am planning on buying either this scope or a PST and this could influence my decision greatly. If anyone could help with this I would greatly appreciate it. </div></div>

Yes, that's what I do.

the mis-alignment isnt bad. imagine the left edge of the Mil line on the dial overlapping the right edge of the reference line. its not a perfect line all the way up, but theres no gap between them. after swapping the knobs the windage is right on, but the el is slightly off. doesnt seem like it will get any closer than that but im ok with it. everything else seems solid and it was a nice bit cheaper than the FFP vortex. the "step" in the turret annoyed me right out of the box but ive already gotten use to it and give it a little twist as im locking it down without thinking about it. im starting to think it might have been done on purpose so the turrets dont lock down if it gets bumped.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flyingbullseye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I'd bet it will be a cold day in hell before weaver actually listens to what people want.

Flyingbullseye </div></div>

seems like a low priced FFP mil/mil var scope with good glass is something alot of people wanted....

Thanks guys. My thought process changes just about every week between these two scopes. One week Im set on the PST the next week Im set on the Weaver. lol.

i did the same thing, but the midway deal, combined with the $50 rebate sold me. i ordered a bobro mount and it still came out less than the FFP PST. im poor and this was the best chance i had to get some nice gear.

The Weaver scope is a great buy for the socpe. The turrets on mine line up great. I would buy this scope over a PST. Weaver has been around for a long time. I shot with the scope some this weekend and it track perfect. I think for 679 at midway it was a steal.

Customer Service offered to repair the hash mark issue (very good service). I asked if, when I got it back, would the marks line up nuts on? They said they couldn't guarantee that. I just don't have that much faith that with all the other people having the same thing, the scope will be returned to my "permanent" satisfaction.

I returned the scope and sent an email to Weaver suggesting that down the road, they consider a different locking cap turret design (fix the misalignment, annoying wiggle, spongy cap seating in "up" position) for this otherwise great scope. They quickly replied (good service) "that particular model is very specialized and perhaps I would be pleased with a different model".

Fair enough! I ordered one of their 3x10 mil/mil tactical, 1" tube scope for a lever action.

I guess Weaver believes that misaligned marks is a "me" problem. Judging from all the others that don't seem to mind, they may be right.

I like mine a lot. I'm just a old guy shooting paper,and yotes with mine .It works great and the price was great .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GONIF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like mine a lot. I'm just a old guy shooting paper,and yotes with mine .It works great and the price was great . </div></div>

I'll drink to that!

the turrets line up perfect on mine both in the locked and unlocked position. Could they have maybe improved the newer batches of scopes? My S/N is W05022

Both the first one and the one I currently have line up. It happens once in a while. I wonder if the fix is similar to the fix posted for the Bushnell HDMR turrets but don't want to personally try it.

Flyingbullseye

figured out thr mis-alignment issue. the ring with the reference lines is just pressed onto the turret. it can be moved. line her up...drop of glue...and good to go.

I'm considering purchasing one but ive read several threads that the 15 magnification is more like 12x or 13x. I want a little more magnification than my fixed ten and I doubt 12 or 13 mag will be satisfactory for my intentions. Hs anyone with the scope been able to verify what the actual magnification is? Secondly has anyone else used blue109's method of gluing the refrences lines to the turret?

Thanks,
kennypowers

I did not notice, or really pay much attention to this when I had mine. However, one of my shooting partners has one on his 300WM and has been whining, uh, mentioning that he can't see very well when we shoot over 1000 yds. I figured he was just being a big crybaby
wink.gif
, then a few weeks ago, I shot his rifle at 666 yds. I got behind it and thought, "wow, those plates look small". I reached up to turn up the mag. and it was pegged at 15x. That's when the memory of someone mentioning this came to mind and also might explain my partner not being able to see well past 1000 yds.

He's coming up in a couple weeks and one of the things on our plate is to try to quantify this. Any input for testing would be appreciated.

John

Thanks jrob300 for the information. Kinda puts a hole in my plans but want to make an informed decision on which scope to buy. It will be interesting to see what the results will be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bet Weaver would sell a *boatload* of 4-20 mil/mil illuminated EMDRs at $799 (based on SWFA's pricing of current models).

If you're not referring strictly to an illuminated EMDR, I see in the Weaver catalog the "new" model 800380, 4-20 Mil/Mil...

I just got my first Weaver Tactical 3-15 EMRD mounted up. This scope is more than impressive for it's $700 price tag. I can't tell any difference in the zoom at 15x and the zoom on my SWFA 5-20 set at 15x for those that were questioning that. All of my lines line up dead nuts with the turrents up or down. I like everyting about the reticle, just wish it had .5 mil hashes between center and 1 mil marks. I really like the open center and appreciate how the line thickness drops from .05 to .04 mils in the center. The illumination is not too bad either. Looks like I'm going to have about 24 mils of elevation after zero. Mine has 30.7 total mils of elevation (105 MOA). Very nice scope for the money.

The 4-20x50 has only 50MOA elevation, and only mil-dot reticle. The other 3-15x50 (non-EMDR) has only 70MOA elevation. When will they learn at all?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BAGunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 4-20x50 has only 50MOA elevation, and only mil-dot reticle. The other 3-15x50 (non-EMDR) has only 70MOA elevation. When will they learn at all?
</div></div>

the 3-15 EMDR has 100 MOA of adjustment, some tests by some of the members here showed that it was actually a bit more than that (I got 107 MOA, I don't remember what the other members got)

as far as scopes under $1000, the weaver 3-15 EMDR is the best value.

I just got to really test mine out at some long ranges. I could see an impact on a white 20x40" silhouette at 1100 no problem. I fired at it, I think I saw it move, and there was the impact mark on the bottom (whether that was really me or not, I'll never know). But it was dead on bringing it right back down for a 550 yard shot, and back to 770, down to 325. Measuring using the dots gave me distances within 10 yards of the listed distance. My lines on my elevation were SLIGHTLY off, but it was easy enough to move the ring to line up with the turrets. There is some light leakage with the illumination. I didn't even want illumination, so it doesn't bother me, but if I used it often it could be annoying.

Do you all use a regular ring/mount on the Weaver 3-15 EMDR or does it need a 1" cantilever mount for ideal eye positioning when using a collapsible stock? (Although I've read that can make the eyepiece interfere with some rear BUIS - maybe only certain BUIS are low-profile enough?) Thx!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kennypowers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm considering purchasing one but ive read several threads that the 15 magnification is more like 12x or 13x. </div></div>

We got out this weekend and did some A-B between my son's Razor and the Weaver. With regard to magnification, if the Weaver is not 15X, then it is very close. At least in comparison to the Razor. They were so close we decided that at worst the Weaver is 14 or 14.5X, but could be dead even.

John

I tested it next to a Leupold VX-3 6-18 and a Vortex Viper 6.5-20, if the Weaver isn't 15X, then I can tell you the other two aren't either, because it was dead on when putting all three next to each other at 15x and doing a side by side comparison.

Can someone confirm by experience that Weaver will honor their warranty on your 3-15x50 EMDR if you're not the original owner? Thx!

Don't think their warranty extends beyond the first owner.

http://www.weaveroptics.com/general/warranty/

"Weaver Service and Support Limited Lifetime Warranty: Weaver warrants this product to be free of defects in materials and workmanship for as long as <span style="font-weight: bold">it is owned by the original owner</span>. Weaver will repair or replace (at Weavers' option) any such defective product when it is returned by the original owner with a copy of the original receipt. The repair or replacement will be without charge* except for <span style="font-weight: bold">reasonable shipping, handling and insurance charges</span>."

It maybe a different story if you have all the papers...

OK, any second owners of a Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 FFP want to sell me theirs and move up to SWFA or Vortex for the warranty? I think I just need to stay on budget and get a ~$600 used Weaver... Thanks!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BAGunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't think their warranty extends beyond the first owner.

http://www.weaveroptics.com/general/warranty/

"Weaver Service and Support Limited Lifetime Warranty: Weaver warrants this product to be free of defects in materials and workmanship for as long as <span style="font-weight: bold">it is owned by the original owner</span>. Weaver will repair or replace (at Weavers' option) any such defective product when it is returned by the original owner with a copy of the original receipt. The repair or replacement will be without charge* except for <span style="font-weight: bold">reasonable shipping, handling and insurance charges</span>."

It maybe a different story if you have all the papers... </div></div>

I called Weaver after I bought my scope here on the hide and was told that this does not apply to their tactical line of scopes, that the tactical line is user transferable. Whether or not this is true is yet to be seen, maybe the rep got it wrong, we're still going to need someone with firsthand experience to prove or disprove this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
We got out this weekend and did some A-B between my son's Razor and the Weaver. With regard to magnification, if the Weaver is not 15X, then it is very close. At least in comparison to the Razor. They were so close we decided that at worst the Weaver is 14 or 14.5X, but could be dead even.

John</div></div>

That's great news jrob300. Thanks for comparing the magnifications for us! This pretty much makes my decision that im getting one when funds permit. The weaver tactical is hard to beat at the price point with everything it has to offer.

Kennypowers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memilanuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...which is why their stuff takes a beating on resale value
frown.gif

</div></div>

If you consider buy gun stuff for "re sale value".........
Now thats f-ed up stuff right there.

Normally, I don't. Thats why I have a Weaver 3-15x50 EDMR sitting on one of my guns right now.

My point is - it does make things harder to move later on without taking a beating on the price. Many (most?) manufacturers warranty the product itself, regardless of who is the original owner. However, when Mead took over Weaver, they instituted this chicken $hit policy about not honoring the warranty if you're not the original owner.

As a result I might buy a *new* Weaver scope... but I won't buy a *used* one unless the price is very, very 'right'.

Feel free to spend your money as you see fit. I will do the same.

In the last few months since I got into shooting again, I must say that I will only be buying new stuff....
The priced for used stuff is 20-100 less then BRAND NEW stuff.
Buy good products and you will be taken care of. I have a weaver and will buy another for sure soon.

So do you all recommend a 1" cantilever mount for the Weaver?

What about a 20 MOA base? (I'm guessing no, since people report about 100 MOA range on the Weaver.)

Anyone want to sell me their Weaver 3-15x50 FFP EMDR scope?
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lwestfall</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So do you all recommend a 1" cantilever mount for the Weaver?

What about a 20 MOA base? (I'm guessing no, since people report about 100 MOA range on the Weaver.)

smile.gif
</div></div>

If you plan to use it on AR, yes, cantilever mount will be better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lwestfall</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So do you all recommend a 1" cantilever mount for the Weaver?

smile.gif
</div></div>

I mounted mine in Weaver medium rings (.5") and it works great on flattop with no front sight post, and an A2 stock. IMO, you only need a 1" mount if you are trying to clear a front sight.