• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing New Zealand Hunt

robozebra

Doc
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2007
Oklahoma City OK
I was invited to join a hunt in New Zealand next May. It's a hunt for 350 class red stag and tahr. Anyone been on a hunt like this? Any pointers? I have a GAP built 300 WSM. Is that enough rifle? Any idea of typical shot distances on tahr? They sound like a tough animal to hunt.

CWJ

Re: New Zealand Hunt

I hunted there last year and killed a stag and a tahr. I used my GAP .308 and 155gr scenars at 2950fps.

Shots were 200 meters on the stag and about 250 on the tahr if I remember correctly..

My son and I hunted there this past July. He shot a management stag at 150 yards with a 308 and a ram at about 75 yards. He was 11 years old. I shot a 366 red stag at 175 yards with a 300wsm, heart shot took two steps and dropped. I also shot a fallow deer at 215 yards.

Did not do any tahr hunting.

My family LOVED New Zealand. Can't wait to go back.

NZstuff025.jpg

IMG_2317.jpg

Here's the critters I shot with the .308.

When I retire, we will live there about three months every winter. We love it there....the people are incredible! We cant wait to go back...

Laffin!.....we should do that trip sometime. The bad part was the flight over.

I'd definitely go if you can...got to see a NZ stag mount up close the other day and it was an impressive trophy. Lots of mass and character.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd definitely go if you can...got to see a NZ stag mount up close the other day and it was an impressive trophy. Lots of mass and character. </div></div>

I need to get over to my taxidermist and scoop mine up. It's been done for a month or so...just need to find time. I'll put up a pic or two when I get it up on the wall. The Tahr is done as well.

You guys are killing. I can't believe I have a year wait now. I was excited about the trip before, but now I'm really stoked. Guess the 300 WSM will be plenty of rifle.

Thanks for all of the comments.

CWJ

All were taken with a 300WSM. In fact there really is only about 7-10 animals in the world that I would not shoot with my 300wsm

Thanks, Sorry for the long time posting. I can not figure out the short way to post using my MAC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: striker nz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just dont go Heli-Hunting. </div></div>
+1
Heli-hunters are very frowned upon over here, by the hunting community. The guide might try to talk you into it... be strong!

Oh and the shots will be as long or short as you like - animals are likely to be fenced inside a game estate so can't escape - unless you're going for a public land hunt (not likely, hard to arrange on a typical 'holiday' type deadline).
smile.gif

I am headed over in March for stag and tahr - no heli-hunting. I am as excited already as I have ever been for a hunt. It should be quite a trip.

Looks like this is a popular hunt. Good luck to the other two headed there before me. Be sure to post pics.

So, define heli-hunting? I was told we'd use a helicopter to get to to of the mountain.

CWJ

Heli-Hunting is slaughter using helicopters to find animals, then drop hunters in a position so the chopper then can herd and drive the animals to the hunters postion. its is a lazy unethical way of hunting that is dropping the 'hard work to get' value of our tahr and chamios.

helicopter travel is completely fine, alot of kiwi hunters use helicopters for backcountry travel, most see it as no different than driving to the hunting grounds. the differance is that getting dropped off for 5-10-15 days prepared for hunting the hard yards, compared to getting animals brought to you by chopper.

over here we have no laws forbidding air travel and hunting on the same day, as of yet, but we do have an up and coming big game council when it finaly gets off the ground

Heli-hunting involves using a heli to locate an animal, position the guide and hunter and then using the heli to herd the animal into a shootable position. It is a method used by outfitters to push through a lot of clients in a short space of time. It is totally unethical and lazy and should not be legal.

No problem using a heli just for transport purposes.

Glad you guys enjoyed your trip to NZ.

Be aware that safari type stags are not in anyway representative of wild stags in NZ.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: striker nz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just dont go Heli-Hunting. </div></div>

shooting out of a chopper just doesnt sound fair...

I heli hunted Had a great time. Man can those Kiwi's Fly....

I do not think it is unethical..... It is just different.....

I am not Lazy either..... How you hunt is a personal choice. There are many ways to hunt...