• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Newb HELP!!!!

Which Scope should a NEWB get :D

• NightForce ACTAR 5x25

• Schmidt and Bender PMII 5x25

• Vortex Razor HD Gen 2 4.5x27

• Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29

• Leupold Mark 5 5x25

• Tract Toric UltraHD 4x20

• US Optic B25 5x25

• Steiner M5xi 5x25

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fr33dom

Private
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2018
All,

Please bare with me in my thoughts.

I am brand new to the Long Range game and just purchased a Bergara HMR-14 in 300 Win-Mag and will be putting a SilencerCo Omega 300 on it.
Can't wait to start hand loading some 230gr Berger Hybrids and see just how far they can go.
Since I am fairly new to GOOD optics i have been doing as much research as i can and have been looking at everything.

I dont want to spend over 2500 and would only spend that if i could really justify it,.... and if i can save money.. hey thats great, more money for good ammo and maybe a nice Chassis :D
I have access to all of the military programs etc so most optics i can get decent deals. I am a member of BigDaddyUnilimited and that can also help. I am also willing to buy used if there is a good deal!

The optics that i have been looking at are in no particular order
- NightForce ACTAR 5x25
- Schmidt and Bender PMII 5x25
- Vortex Razor HD Gen 2 4.5x27
- Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29
- Leupold Mark 5 5x25
- Tract Toric UltraHD 4x20
- US Optic B25 5x25

What are my current thoughts on them???
- NightForce ACTAR 5x25 - Seems like a great optic but its at the high end of my price... and i am not going to be in a war zone using it. i just want it to work and work well, so it makes it really hard to justify the really high price on this optic.

- Schmidt and Bender PMII 5x25 - This is similar to the nightforce in that it is quite expensive. I have heard it is better made, but its also been out for a long time now.

- Vortex Razor HD Gen 2 4.5x27 - this seems like the safe route to go but the fact it has been out over 4 years now makes me very hesitant. and from what i have seen its somewhere around 2k

- Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29 - fairly new optic, but also fairly new company... i am extremely hesistant because it seems most of their optics arent that good but this one has really good reviews everywhere and i can get for about about 1300 which makes it VERY tempting....

- Leupold Mark 5 5x25 - I am not sure why but this one excites me the most... ugh i hate using feelings to make choices.... but the turrets seem very solid, its a very reputable company and its a brand new optic that also has great reviews so far. I would probably get the TreMor3 reticle and i believe i could get it for around 1700

- Tract Toric UltraHD 4x20 - I dont know why i even put this here. The company is so crazy new... but they seem well made and uses good glass and the turrets have been raved about... but its only 20 power.. which probably doesnt matter but idk i am just really skeptical of them but i am intrigued. but its 1k and might be good enough....

- US Optic B25 5x25 - oh the US optic, its freaking expensive but supposed to be good... but its expensive lol

So to me i am kinda leaning more towards the Cronus and Mark 5... The Mark 5 wouldnt have illuminated reticle.... so that kinda sucks but at the same time would i even use it...

I know i dont need the BEST but i make good money and i am willing to spend alittle more than usual on this new hobby. But it would be nice for it to last and be quality.

I would love to hear others thoughts, hopefully as objective as possible so it can help with my reasoning this out.
I will mainly use the rifle for fun/reloading and seeing how far i can shoot and then hunting very rarely.

ALSO... Any RING and BASE recomendations along with the scope recomendations?

I have been reading though the forums for about a month spending WAY too much time so i figured i would ask :)
Thank you all for your time and help with this.

Fr33dom Always, Never Accept Alternatives.

Last edited:
Reactions: CSTactical
ALSO, it doesn't have to be one of those scopes...
Please suggest anything you recommend and if you can please be as objective as possible with the WHY :D
Thanks

Don't forget to look at reticle options as well. I've impulse bought numerous scopes based on glass/features only to part ways with them because I couldn't warm up to the reticle. If you can find a local shop that you can go in and look through them or link up with people that will let you get behind any of the above listed you'll find the one for you.

I'd take a look the the XRSII as well.

-Dan

Reactions: Glassaholic
Reticle is more important than optics when you are talking scopes near the $2500 mark. They all perform similarily at that level but reticle is highly subjective. Look and feel of scope is also subjective. I would suggest saving your dineros and get what you really want. Don't compromise with scopes because you'll end up wanting the higher end stuff later on anyways.

reticle or features (kahles left wind, illumination, CW/CCW turrets, 25y parallax etc etc)

you didn't include kahles or TT and ZCO (out of budget i assume)

narrow that down and the scope will present itself

https://sageratsafaris.com/2018/06/16/master-list-ffp-long-range-rifle-scopes/
this should make your brain hurt

Honestly I am open to anything. I prefer a good warranty just because its expensive.
I am still in the researching phase but getting closer to being ready to pull the tigger.

I am pretty sure TT is out of my budget but you never know, also ZCO sounds really interesting but not aware of best prices.
never know :D

That's why i wanted to post on here and learn more and get more information and opinions and hopefully good information along the way.

I definitely want a MIL / MIL scope
as for the reticle i am ,less picky but its nice to have a usefully busy reticle honestly for me.
thats why the TREMR3 got my attention on the Mark 5 because it was only aboutr 150 bucks more or so from the various sources i found.

I greatly appreciate everyone's help.

I am in the same boat. I am also looking at the Vortex Razor AMG because of its reticle. I wish the Gen 2 had the 7B reticle. I would buy that scope tomorrow.

OP, have you considered the Vortex AMG? It's within your price range and on sale/used it is quite a bit under it, even though it is a 6-24 it really doesn't give up much at all to the 5-25's, the glass and the reticle are tops for its price. Another thing to consider is that since you are new and have not had much time behind any of these scopes, whatever you purchase you may decide to get something different down the road, so buying used typically means you won't lose much money if you decide to sell the scope, but with your mil discount you won't lose as much either depending on the scope. Like many have said before, and similar to the old real estate mantra "location, location, location" for scopes at this level its more about "reticle, reticle, reticle", sure there are other factors to consider, but finding the reticle that is going to work for you is very important because it is the first thing you see when looking through that scope at everything you point it at.

Also, you seem to be discounting the Vortex Razor Gen II because it's 4 years "old"? Why is that, are you concerned a Gen III is coming out soon that will undercut its value? I have seen these scopes used for around the $1800 mark (and even some dealer specials at times), the scope is heavy but outside of that has been a very solid performer so just because it's old doesn't detract from its value, heck the S&B PMII is over ten years old so its the grandpa of the bunch.

If you do like Tremor3 and don't mind not having illumination (because the $650 premium Leup charges for illumination puts it in a price range where many other scopes are better) the new Leupold Mark 5 5-25 sounds like a very solid choice, especially if you're into turret feel as they have really nice distinct clicks. Have you considered the Revic PMR428, if you're doing comps it'd be hard to beat, also the Sig Tango6 series 4-24x50 or 5-30x56 with DEV-L reticle.

ZCO, Kahles and others will be over your budget

Here's some general comments on the scopes you've picked:
- NightForce ACTAR 5x25 - Solid choice, no Christmas tree style reticles but has Horus options, FOV is a bit low at the low end but picks up by 25x
- Schmidt and Bender PMII 5x25 - oldest of the bunch, FOV is very low at the low end but picks up by 25x, tunnels from about 5-7x, some don't like MTC as they over dial every full mil
- Vortex Razor HD Gen 2 4.5x27 - heavy, but solid LOW design, short, nice reticle
- Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29 - another LOW design, turrets aren't as nice as others
- Leupold Mark 5 5x25 - light, apparently good glass and nice turrets, illumination is pricey
- Tract Toric UltraHD 4x20 - great startup with guys from Nikon, short design, a little heavy for 30mm, only one reticle option and its not a Christmas tree, lowest price of the bunch, turrets have some wiggle
- US Optic B25 5x25 - a beast, longest scope of the bunch, doubles as a baseball bat, used to be one of the most sought after scopes on the Hide but over the last few years has lost some favor (mostly I think because they are so big)

As for rings, my favorite are the ARC M10, but I also like Seekins as a cheaper alternative. For a base, I really like what Area 419 has been doing lately and their picatinny base seems really nice - http://www.area419.com/product/remington-700-improved-scope-rail-isr/

Even though it's a old design I still think the S&B 5-25 is a great scope even by today's standards. There's not many scopes out there so amazingly versatile like this, that you can mount on a PCP air rifle, a rimfire, or any other rifle including a 50lb ELR rifle to win with. I prefer the H59.

A NF 7-35/T3 might be a good choice for you.

The S&B 5-25x56 is a well tested well regarded scope that lasts and lasts.
If you like the old school tradition P4F reticle, you can get really good deals new and used in the $1900 to $2400 range
If you want one of the newer Christmas tree type reticles, you will be pushing around the $3k mark.

Another actually quite interesting option if you can find it, is the Leupold Mark 8 5-25x56 scope. The glass on those is excellent and the controls are very solid. A member is selling one here with a H59 reticle for a price within your budget.

If you post where you are at and what ranges you go to shoot, perhaps you'll find some members going to the same place that would let you look at the scopes they have.

So many options and things to think about.
I have been researching a ton lately. Especially the more I speak with different shops and different people. It's nice to hear everyones thoughts and why.

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to write your thoughts and help with this discussion. I believe it will help other as well. But I know it's helping me. Seems like a great community around here.

If anyone is near the Vegas Area let me know.

I'll keep you all updated as my search moves forward.
Thanks