• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Newb question

Olddognewtrix

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2020
Dallas, Tx
Hello Gentlemen,
I picked up a savage axis 243 with a cheap weaver optics at an estate sale on the cheap and today I took it to the range to find out how she shoots.
1st shot at 100 yrds high left off the paper, and i adjusted accordingly. 2nd and 3rd shots brought me back to center and final adjustments on 4th shot put the fifth on the bull.
6th shot i pulled right about 2 inches, but dead on for elevation so i felt confident that I had it zeroed out,
7th round hit one inch up 2 left (i figured thats me)
8 through 12 contiue to walk up and to the left about one inch or two per shot getting worse each time.
eventually it settled in right where it started when i pulled it out of the case.
last shot i aimed at the bottom right corner of the paper and hit the bullseye.
i packed up and headed for the house trying to figure out whats moving and why.
Any help and or critisms welcomed, Im here to learn.
Thx in advance

Check that everything is torqued correctly... same thing happened to me on one of my grandfather’s old rifles. Sure enough, a couple base and caps screws were loose. Probably wouldn’t hurt to try a couple different ammo options too.