• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Newb seeking advice - AR15 6x45 build

Wagonbacker9

Private
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2013
WI
Hello all. As you can see I'm new here. I've been searching around for info wanting to build my AR up in a non-5.56 caliber. Since I know it'll be asked, I want a paper puncher, good out to 300, and capable of taking a deer out to 150.

I already have everything else I need to complete the rifle other than the barrel and the charging handle. Here is the platform:
Standard receiver set and LPK
Magpul UBR
Carbine buffer system
Full auto BCG
ATI 15" forend
Nikon 6-18x40 Buckmaster in Nikon rings

This rifle will be my reason to get into reloading, as it doesn't look like ANYONE makes ammo for this caliber anymore. So I've been looking for barrels, and swallowing $400+ for a BHW fully fluted bull barrel is going to be tough. Does anyone know of another barrel source in the caliber for the AR platform, or do you think I'm nuts and should just go for a 6.5 instead and throw the mags and bolt into a box until I build another upper in 204 or 5.56 at some other point?

I was going to get a 6x45 but went for a 6.5 Grendel since it's just as accurate and has more down range energy and less wind deflection.

The 6x45 is so close to a 556 that I might as well get something bigger.