• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newb to SH seeking advice from you vets

Doubledose

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2013
So Cal
Hello all,
I am not new to shooting but new to SH (Long time lurker). I have built a nice .223 Savage from a Stevens action into a pretty nice rifle, heavy barrel 1:10 twist, B&C Medalist stock, Harris Bi-pod, SSS trigger set and 1.5 lbs and Bushnell elite 3200 4-12 x 40. It is very accurate and perhaps more accurate than I am still. I mostly shoot out to 200 yds with it and can hit golf balls at 200 consistently as well I have some good grouping at 100-200 yds. Mostly shooting steel, paper and golf balls, bowling pins etc. Not much hunting here but you never know.

I feel like I am ready to move up. I want to move to .308 for many reasons including the ones I have read here. The farthest I can shoot at my range is 600 yds. I am looking at a couple of rifles and wanted some opinions.

I would like something I can build a little at a time but have a good shooter from the start (even before upgrade). I have had good luck with the Savage so I was considering the Savage 10 FCP-SR which seems like a very nice out of the box rifle for about $1000. But it seems that no one has any for sale here in California at the moment (at least I have not been able to locate one).

I am also considering the tried and true Remington M700 as they are available, popular and have more aftermarket support. There are two choices on the table at the moment. The first is a brand new SPS Varmint for $650 26" barrel 1:12 twist rate. Also my LGS has an SPS Tactical with 20" fluted/threaded barrel and a 1:10 twist rate.

I am torn between these choices and just wanted some direction and recommendations from those in the know. While I realize there will be many differing opinions I just wanted to see if there is a general consensus that may sway my direction. I appreciate your patience with my newb questions and as always appreciate advise from those more experienced than I.

Double Dose

Why not just make your Stevens into a switchbarrel and upgrade it a bit? Stevens rifles are nearly identical to standard Savage rifles and can accept most if not all aftermarket parts made for Savage rifles, just buy a new barrel, the necessary parts to switch the barrel (barrel vise, barrel nut wrench, maybe a new bolt face and mag) and just switch it up? The only reason I have another Savage is because I started with a short action and wanted a long action as well, you don't need more than one.

If you want a new rifle, go for a long action Savage and build from there, with that your choices are limitless.

DD, Are you thinking about getting into any competitions? If so, Id save up and have a barrel made, order a stock like from Manners, etc etc. But be warned, rifle with scope will run you about 5k unless you have an action in hand, if no comps are in your future that SPS varmint in 308 will be a good shooter, my SPSS has proved itself to be a solid .5MOA out to 300yds, it just loves 168AMAXs, and 155s, too. All depends on what you really wanna do with the rifle I guess.

Welcome to the Hide...

I'm partial to Remington and their clones...but, any of the rifles you have listed will satisify your needs. More so if you are only expecting to shoot no further than 600yrds.
.308 is a great caliber to start with as it's got loads of data available and factory ammo is common (maybe not so much in the current climate - that will change).

If you want a gun that has lots of parts available to upgrade it, then the Remington actions are the place to start.
Savage also has many parts available too...just not as much. I'm not discounting them.

A buddy of mine has this Savage and I like it a lot: http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/M10FCP10

The Remington 700P line is also a nice factory shooter, but comes at a $1000+- price tag.
I shoot with a Rem 700 AAC-SD, which has a 20" barrel on it - I'm able to get it out to 800yrds no problem. It was a cheap rifle, but all I really wanted was the barreled action as I quickly upgraded every part on the gun.

If I had to do it over again....I would have liked to had a 22-23" barrel on my rifle....so maybe you should consider the SPS with the 26" barrel and you could always have it cut it down if you want.

Hopefully I didn't muddy the water for you...

Thanks for the welcome and all of the suggestions guys. I am really not considering competition. Shooting is what I do to relax. Competition (not shooting competition but competition) is what I do for a living. I prefer not to mix them. I am partial to the .308 as Thrusty said there is commercially available ammunition and this is important to me a I just don't have time to reload. I don't even know of a place nearby to shoot beyond 600 yds. I am pretty sure the next step for me is .308 but I am not closed minded either. I like the look and feel of the 20" barrel but I hear it will lose in velocity from the 26" (my Savage is 26"). Not sure that would be as much of a factor at 600yds though. Thanks for the suggestion about the Stevens, I kind of want a DBM so mine is the old staggered feed style and cannot be converted (that I know of anyways). It is a viable idea for sure if I didn't want that. I could order a .308 barrel from Jim (great guy) and a bolt from Midway and swap it out. Kind of wanted to keep the .223 for practice and possibly for my sons, wife or friends new to shooting to start out on. I guess I could build a Savage from one of Jims actions and barrels. Again, just a bit short on time to build it like that right now though. Don't know much about the 6.5 CM nor where I would locate ammo. Hard enough to find .308 right now.

Thanks again and keep those suggestions coming. Much appreciate the warm welcome for a newcomer.
Double Dose

Jeff @ CDI Precision can hook you up with a staggerfeed SA DBM...inlet your stock too.

Yeah, you might be able to find 6.5 creed before the 308 stuff these days, not to mention lighter recoil, flatter trajectory, etc. No time for reloading? Loading up 25 shells for verifying purposes dont take that long, then loading up more for the competitions takes about the same time. I sometimes reload after a 12 hour shift, but I dont know your schedule.

I too am new to the hide, although I've been lurking around for about 2 years, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt. Personally, as a newbie, and someone who doesn't really have the time, or the money for these big custom builds (although mine is getting to be that way), I started off with a Remington 700 ADL in 308, that I picked up for $350 at dicks on black Friday. It's a cheap gun, and shoots well out of the box, which was the main qualifier for me. Of course all of your standard Remington 700 parts will bolt right up, so the options are pretty much endless.

I didn't see the point in paying $500+ for one of the SPS rifles, knowing that I'm probably going to replace most of the parts on it anyway, so all I was really after was the action, and the fact that I got it as a complete package only sweetened the deal. Unless you are really wanting to buy a gun, and you want to buy it now, I would hold off until November, as I see deals like this every year. The fact that you aren't really looking to compete, only makes this option seem even smarter IMO.

Okay. I want to stick with the .308 for now but may change later. I am wanting to buy soon so no waiting until November for me. I guess it has boiled down to either the
1. Savage FCP-SR= 24" fluted threaded barrel/ DBM / Acuutrigger/ Accustock/ scope rail/ 1:10 twist retail $1250 but probably around $1000 (if I can find one) upgrade to B&C or HS $500
2. Rem 700 SPS Varmint= 26" barrel/ 1:12 twist available for $650 + New Stock $500 + DBM $200 + Base $50? + Trigger (not sure will try factory first then decide)
3. Rem 700 SPS Tactical= 20" fluted threaded barrel/ 1:10 twist for $799 + Same upgrades as above Rem 700

The price isn't a factor as they are all very close in price (within a couple hundred) I can afford any one of them.
I guess the real question here is barrel length and twist rate? Fluted or not? Ability to upgrade later. I don't want to start any Savage vs Remington wars so I will say that I have shot both brands equally well and know there is more aftermarket support for Remington but Savage will be easier to change calibers later if I want.
I do not have a lot of time for building or reloading though. Which one would you choose and why? Thanks again for all of the input.
Double Dose

Why do you prefer the 10FCP-SR over the 10FP-SR or the 11VT from Dick's Sporting Goods?

No sense in paying for an Accustock when you plan to replace it anyway...

I like the fact that it has the DBM and scope rail already there. To add DBM and rail it works out to be about the same price I think. It would just be nice to have it ready to go adding nothing but scope and rings. I hear the accu-stock is not bad and therefore could use it for a while before replacing it. Although you are right that would be a much fairer comparison to the Remington's I am looking at price and feature wise. I found one locally for $749.