• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Newbi to LR just picket up Ruger Precision..now I need a scope

Nova98Cobra

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2011
Arlington, VA
Good afternoon everyone. Before recently I was always limited to the local 50 yard indoor ranges, and never had the need for anything more than a carbine (I live in the suburbs of DC basically). Anyway, a 400 yard outdoor range just opened relatively close by and I wanted to get into shooting at greater distances. I went ahead and scored a used Gen II Ruger Precision in 308 for just $600 and now I need scope advice! I'm sure these threads pop up frequently so to not be obnoxious I tired to answer all the questions posted in the sticky about asking for these things.

• Platform for the scope?: Ruger Precision
  • What cartridge are you shooting: 308 Winchester. I will likely be starting out with box ammo while I figure out the rifle, but I do reload.
  • What is your intended use for the scope: I will be shooting benchrest and prone at both paper and steel targets
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in: I am a fair weather shooter so assume bright and sunny outdoor Virginia evenings.
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot: The range I will be shooting at has still silhouettes at 75 and 100 yards. You can run your own paper targets out to 400 yards.
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like: The big constraint here is price. Let's keep it under $500 I understand that I should just save and by a vortex or something for around $1k or more but I'm just trying this out to see if it's for me. I may end up loving shooting distance in which case I will spend more money down the road, or I might trade the rifle for car parts if I'm not having any fun. I don't have a preference on Mils or MOA. As far a focal plane I think second plane scopes are the only thing in the budget, but it sounds like single planes are easier to learn on? In summary this is for learning without breaking the bank. I'm sure even a walmart scope will outperform me for a while.

The easy general recommendation would be to get a 10x SWFA SS. Its a fixed power scope but has a pretty bomb proof reputation for reliability. Can be had for ~300. If you spend up to 500 you can get the 3-15 model for a bit of magnification flexibility.

Ive become an athlon fanboy for their lower priced models, give a call to cameraland ny and see what they could do for you with that budget. I just picked up a midas for ~340 for basically what youre doing with known range paper.

The nikon fx1000 has a 4-16 model that should come in under that price point as well but Im weary of nikon scopes personally.

Its new and unreleased at this point but the new vortex diamond back tactical with a FFP looks pretty enticing at its price point though it doesnt have a zero stop.

Last edited:
As far as focal planes go they pretty much all only have a single focal plane. A couple are coming out in dual plane but thats a rarity and not in your budget. I assume you meant front(first) focal plane or rear(second) focal plane.

First focal appears to get bigger and smaller with the magnification but that just means that the reticle subtensions are what they are labeled at all magnification levels. They get tiny at low end magnification though (but who needs to mil something while on 3x? no one.)

Second focal has the reticle stay the same size in your view but its subsentions scale with your level of magnification. If the reticle says 1 mil at 10x then at 5x it would actually represent 2 mils and at 20x it would represent .5 mils.

So if you are wanting to do some dynamic long range shooting where youll be at varying magnification levels and want to use the reticle to measure exactly how much you need to adjust for a follow up shot a front focal is much easier.
If youll be shooting paper or have time to calculate the adjustment then the second focal is just fine and possibly preferred. I still shoot lots of this with a FFP scopes though.

Reactions: Bender
As far as mils and moa go its a wash. 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

Its a false comparison Im going to use now because what we're talking are units of angle and not units of measure but its sort of like inches vs centimeters. Both get the job done in exactly the same way, they are just different values, the other side of the same ruler.

Ive been transitioning over to mils and it seems that most end up going to mils in the end but moa work just as well if thats what you or your friends are already invested in. Go with whats around you so its easier to communicate information between people without having to translate.

Athlon Argos BTR 6x24x50 in either Mil or MOA. $369.00 avg price seen online.
Pros: Price, Solid glass clarity for your range of use, tracks well, FFP, Reticle is very useful for when you want to practice hold overs ( xmas tree style ), Warranty is very good.
Cons: No zero stop ( but fixable with shims like Vortex) turrets track well but some don't like how they feel ( personal thing ) above 20x it can begin to suffer optical clarity ( still useable just noticeable)

I use it on a Savage 12FV in 308 and have brought it out to 800yds with very good results. Worth a peek and maybe Doug and the good folks at cameraland have other good options or can pair them with some good rings for you.

I have the RPR as well in 6.5 and it is a very enjoyable platform to shoot. Happy Shooting!

Spife thank you for taking the time to make such a comprehensive response. It is very much appreciated and I started my research based off your insights (get it...sights).

bfglowkey, between you and spife I am reallly focusing on Argos products now, and looking up more about each varient. Their argos, midas, and talos models seem to fit my general requirments perfectly.

gr8fuldoug thank you for being so quick to offer your services. I will be calling you tomorrow during normal business hours. Who should I ask for when I call, and is there a time that is better than others?

My pleasure. I get in tomorrow morning around 8:30 (with my coffee :) )
Call anytime after that, 516-217-1000, and I'll be glad to discuss optics with you.
Have a great evening

All good recommendations, but if you're just starting out I really recommend a SWFA 10X or 12X for several reasons
  1. If you want out of this early, you will get almost all your money back here
  2. Optical quality is excellent for the money and better than just about any variable power scope in their price range
  3. Mechanical quality that rivals scopes costing 3X to 4X. Yes, no shit.
I had a chance to finger a Nikon FX-1000 and while the optical clarity was very nice, the turrets left a lot to be desired with faint and "ghost" clicks. Likely caused by Nikon squeezing in 10 mils per revolution in such an affordable scope. SWFAs, with 5 mils per revolution, have clean, crisp, distinct clicks.

The SWFA is definitely a great scope to look at and is very attractive mechanically. I just got to try out my Nikon BLACK FX1000 6x24x50 and must have gotten the non ghost click lot cause first outing was fantastic and far exceeded my expectations. That said, the Athlon Argos I mentioned above did that as well and for 1/2 the price. I hear great things about the Midas Tac from Athlon. Both the Nikon and Midas are above your initial price point so take the info knowing that. Still in a torrid affair with my Nightforce SHV 4x14x56 w/ MOAR reticle....no matter what gun I put it on..it completes me lol.

Nikon has admitted there was an issue with some part being out of spec on the turrets of an earlier shipment of scopes triggerring multiple returns and causing them to inspect all items individually before going out to dealers and customers. Supposedly, the turret issue(s) have been identified and have been resolved. There appears to be much less fresh complaints coming in recently on the FX-1000 scopes.

I know firsthand of these problems because I sent a pair of 4-16 FX-1000s back with birthing issues, one had the aforementioned ghost clicks and the other had some junk floating around internally. I had extensive interaction with Nikon and their representatives while resolving these issues. Nikon owned up to problems on the two returned scopes and the third replacement scope has completely met or exceeded all my expectations. Optical quality in this scope is excellent over entire zoom range, turret clicks are distinct and markings are well aligned, total elevation adjustment is slightly more than min specification, and tracking performance per tall target test (checked to +10 Mil elevation and +/- 3 Mil windage) is right on with perfect return to zero.

I'd presently have no problem recommending the Nikon FX-1000s now that they have gotten past their initial product rollout.

In all honesty, I also own an Athlon Cronus BTR and have been very impressed by Athlon's line of offerings and excellent customer service. I feel just as comfortable recommending them.

If you could expand to $750 or $800, GAP has Bushnell LRHSi 4.5-18x44 scopes. Japanese made at LOW I believe, FFP, side focus, illuminated Christmas tree reticle, zero stop.

For $800 it comes with a Leatherman Mutt multi-tool which is very very nice for an extra $50.

Add some decent rings and you'll have a solid setup. Get something like a PVA pre-fit barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor and you'll have a really nice 1,000+ yard setup and less than $2,000 in it if you want to go that way.

This deal is going away soon so if it you can stretch a little, you should check it out.

Patriot- I think most folks start with the 10x model. It is fully capable of getting folks out to 600-1000 yards. It also is easily useable at 100-400 as well.

Reactions: Bulldog10
Patriot- I think most folks start with the 10x model. It is fully capable of getting folks out to 600-1000 yards. It also is easily useable at 100-400 as well.
Depends on what you want to do. If the rig will be used for hunting at any sort of close ranges, then a 10x is fine. But if you're shooting small steel at long range, why would you handicap yourself with less mag?

You can probably ride a bike to work, but most folks take a car. There just isn't any use in taking 10x when 12x or 16x is available, if you don't need the increased field of view for short range stuff.

edit: I started with a 16x, never wanted for less magnification, ever. Wanted more a few times. Eventually moved up to an HD 5-20, and I'll probably move to a 5-25 at some point.

I use fixed exclusively on my 22lr and love it. I opted for a 6x fixed since my distance range is 50-100 mostly with that particular rifle. I am trying to train myself to trust my sight picture at lower powers to get away from the reticle shakes at higher magnification. Getting old is a bitch lol but my eyesight is still good so I got that going for me.
That said I am excited for your report on what you settled on

Right now you can pick up Nikon's BLACK FX1000 4-16x50 for around $649 and under a Nikon PROMO, get a free BLACK Series Mount to go with it, $139 value. Very nice scope and will serve the needs you describe very well. Also, backed by Nikon's No Fault Warranty, even if you choose the model with illumination. Great quality, features, and price.

If $500 is a hard cutoff, a fixed SWFA 10x or 12x is your best bet, especially since you still need to by a quality mount or set of rings. That will set you back another $100-$200.

ILya

Thanks for the help guys. I got a used Anthlon Midas and used nightforce rings. Total set up cost now for Rifle, scope, and rings was under $1,100. Not too bad for a first set up.